Mike Leake

You want to complain about the Reds not being able to keep Leake because of Homer's contract, be my guest. Had they not done that Leake would definitely still be here. You won't get any arguments from me.

You want to complain about getting rid of Cueto because of Bailey's contract? You don't understand how the game works. Cueto wasn't resigning here whether they paid Bailey or anyone else a single cent. Reds don't have the finances to have a $225M player and another $200+M player on the same payroll.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I understood your words as you backtracked. Just didn't sell me.

Not a fan of , "yeah, but...".

I didn't backtrack. I am the one that originally mentioned the Red Sox-A's trade. I just gave the circumstances that led to it. It is an extremely rare occurrence that requires a unique situation like the A's had with Cespedes contract and having a ton a free agents at the end of the year. They knew they weren't going to be competitive in 2015 and thought they could win without him by adding Lester. If you don't have a circumstance like that it just about has to be a 3 or 4 team deal.

Would you rather have what the Red Sox got for Lester or what the Reds got for Cueto?

I'm a Red Sox fan and I'd much rather have what the Reds got than what the Red Sox got. The trade would look a little bit better for the Sox if Porcello is able to get back to his form of last season. In essence that's what they got for Lester. The Reds look like they will get 2 and maybe 3 pitchers that will contribute.

Would you rather have what the Red Sox got for Lester or what the Reds got for Cueto?

Fair question, but awfully tough to answer. Which is kinda my point. Tough to gauge prospects, and I do think the Reds could have gotten a proven bat for Cueto. At the deadline, maybe. But, they certainly could have during the off-season or even at last year's deadline. The team's been dead in the water long enough that they didn't have to wait until the 11th hour to let Cueto go.

I didn't backtrack. I am the one that originally mentioned the Red Sox-A's trade. I just gave the circumstances that led to it. It is an extremely rare occurrence that requires a unique situation like the A's had with Cespedes contract and having a ton a free agents at the end of the year. They knew they weren't going to be competitive in 2015 and thought they could win without him by adding Lester. If you don't have a circumstance like that it just about has to be a 3 or 4 team deal.

I don't want to go round and round on this, but I thought I mentioned the Red Sox deal first, and then you said you knew someone would bring that up.

Either way we are just going to view what the Reds got for Cueto and Leake differently.

In keeping with my apparent role as the antagonist in this thread, someone riddle me these:

When the Reds traded for Latos, did they give up a proven major league pitcher? The Padres got a major league guy in return, right? Guy might still be pitching for a pretty good team?

When the Reds traded Travis Wood, they got Marshall (another MLB for MLB trade, go figure).

Seems these things can happen without the 83 exceptions involved in the, "yeah but," Red Sox trade of last year.

As well as Bailey is a GOD on here.

I keep seeing you throw out this narrative, but I don't get it, who on here is going out of their way to deify him? I've had him on blast since he got here, many others have been hyper-critical of him as well, so I guess I must have missed the hundreds of posts from the sheep that have been loving him up and down.

Clyde has been a fan of his, but he has been fair and balanced looking at the good and the bad, and beyond that, I can't recall anyone that has been a Bailey jersey-wearer.

In keeping with my apparent role as the antagonist in this thread, someone riddle me these:

When the Reds traded for Latos, did they give up a proven major league pitcher? The Padres got a major league guy in return, right? Guy might still be pitching for a pretty good team?

When the Reds traded Travis Wood, they got Marshall (another MLB for MLB trade, go figure).

Seems these things can happen without the 83 exceptions involved in the, "yeah but," Red Sox trade of last year.

Both of those trades you mentioned happened in the off-season. Totally different animal than a team trying to get something for a guy that's going to be a free agent in a couple of months. That's why everyone here is saying the Reds should've traded Cueto either last year, or much, much earlier this year. It's also why guys like Chapman and Bruce would bring a whole lot more...because they'd be under the "new" team's control from a whole lot longer than Cueto or Leake.

I don't know what your point is?

If you can't see that they got a very good return for both Leake and Cueto and they were the right moves to make there's no use discussing baseball with you.