Kings of Northern Kentucky Basketball

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice list but I would argue Coach Jim Connor and his 450+ wins puts him on that list.

It was well before my time, but I would think Newport's legendary coach Stan Arnzen would be on any list at or near the top. Another one who is before my time would be Cov. Cath's Mote Hils.

You call that politics? I don't. Highlands has nothing to do with it. You can say what you want about Pittman, but he would not have even played on those teams at Holmes in the late 70's or early 80's.

Highlands guy has nothing to do with a frontrunner type now does it?

Not to get in the middle of this argument, but... C'mon man... The dude is one step out of the NBA. He's a phone call away from making it at the highest level. But he wouldn't have made a high school team 30 or 40 years ago? Please... :rolleyes:

Best Player ? there have been quite a few, but can many say they have been as successful as Justin Doleman (Ryle), great college career and European League MVP last year.

Those don't quite seem to match up with being selected as one of the 50 Greatest Players in National Basketball Association History.

You call that politics? I don't. Highlands has nothing to do with it. You can say what you want about Pittman, but he would not have even played on those teams at Holmes in the late 70's or early 80's.

Highlands guy has nothing to do with a frontrunner type now does it?

Sorry dude but you are wrong because I played on those late 70's early 80's Holmes teams and Pittman would definitely have played a significant role. When Pittman had his head in the game, that young man was a force and could play against anyone I played with at Holmes.

Sorry dude but you are wrong because I played on those late 70's early 80's Holmes teams and Pittman would definitely have played a significant role. When Pittman had his head in the game, that young man was a force and could play against anyone I played with at Holmes.

Sadly, the young man will always be a symbol of underachieving.

So you believe he is a top 5 player in Holmes history? Name the other 4 because I bet these will be good.

Not to get in the middle of this argument, but... C'mon man... The dude is one step out of the NBA. He's a phone call away from making it at the highest level. But he wouldn't have made a high school team 30 or 40 years ago? Please... :rolleyes:

C'mon man what? One step away from NBA and another from jail.

Pittman was stupid good and could dominate a game.

Sadly, the young man will always be a symbol of underachieving.

Sad, but true. Young man had opportunities that 99.9% of high school basketball players only dream of, and for the most part has urinated it all away.

True. If he had his head in all games Holmes would have won back to back state championships IMO

Agreed.

I remember telling someone during warm-ups prior to a Holmes at NewCath game, "this kid has all the talent in the world to make it at the next level and beyond, but the way he carries himself will be his downfall". He and the Johnson brothers were "polar opposites".

So you believe he is a top 5 player in Holmes history? Name the other 4 because I bet these will be good.

Since you're so "in tune" with Holmes history, who are your top 5 players ever there?

FWIW, ask Bud Wimzie and he will likely tell you there haven't been Many to come through Holmes with more upside/raw talent than Pittman.

To quote "Bud "

"Dude is 6'9 and can take you in the paint or step out and hit the 3 with consistency"

Question his character at times all you want but from a pure talent standpoint local legends agree not many have come through the area better than him.

Question his character at times all you want but from a pure talent standpoint local legends agree not many have come through the area better than him.

So he's not top 5 at Holmes but very few in the area were better?

Since you're so "in tune" with Holmes history, who are your top 5 players ever there?

FWIW, ask Bud Wimzie and he will likely tell you there haven't been Many to come through Holmes with more upside/raw talent than Pittman.

To quote "Bud "

"Dude is 6'9 and can take you in the paint or step out and hit the 3 with consistency"

I would agree with everything in this post.

So he's not top 5 at Holmes but very few in the area were better?

I never said one way or another in this thread...I'm too young to know how good the players on the 70's, 80's, and 90's teams were but Pittman is the best one I've seen come through Holmes...being 27, I have only followed Holmes and NKY basketball as a whole since the 02-03 season.

I've had in depth conversations with Kenny Shields and Reynolds Flynn, however, and both have said EP is one of the best they've ever seen come through the area. Bud won't say one way or another as he likes to give the "old school" guys like Bob Barton, Lou Herndon, Jack Jennings, Dicky Beal, and Doug Schloemer love but he has said multiple times in conversations with me that "EP is up there as far as best to ever come out of Holmes."