Kings of Northern Kentucky Basketball

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neltner won because of "politics" Please explain as I cannot wait to hear this one.

I don't want to speak for Walter, but he's not alone in the thinking that Neltner was NOT the best player in the 9th region in '03. Certainly he was among the best, but an argument could be made in favor of Doellman & Brock.

Regarding the politics: Highlands, to their credit, created a schedule that showcased Ross as a junior & senior. I believe they played eventual state champion Mason County in '03 and may have played in the King of the Bluegrass. They played a schedule that allowed Ross to get exposure throughout the state, while SK did not. It also helped that Neltner played in the state tournament as an underclassman.

I wouldn't call it politics, but it certainly didn't happen by accident. And for what it's worth, I think it's a GREAT move.

Are you kidding me with this nonsense? First of all, Pittman was not near the level of Doellman. So tired of all this pro-Holmes nonsense. Pittman is not even in the top 5 players ever at Holmes so lets end that discussion right here.

Neltner won because of "politics" Please explain as I cannot wait to hear this one.

First of all, I simply said "Elijah Pittman has been pretty successful at each of his stops."

And I guess you over looked the part where I stated in my original post " there have been others to come through the 9th region with better credentials than what Doellman (and Pittman) have done." Where is the bias in my post???

I never said Pittman was one of the top 5 best players to ever come through Holmes. Was simply comparing college and now pro careers. For you to say EP is no where close to the level of Doellman shows a serious lack of backetball knowledge, IMO. Ask a few legendary coaches in the area and they will tell you he is among the best "bigs" to ever come through NKY but his off the court issues over shadowed his actual talent...their words, not mine.

As far as the Neltner debate, see Colonel Crazy's post. Couldn't have said it better myself. I wouldn't expect a Highlands guy to agree with me on that matter though.

As far as the Neltner debate, see Colonel Crazy's post. Couldn't have said it better myself. I wouldn't expect a Highlands guy to agree with me on that matter though.

Had you said HHS did a great job of showcasing Ross then you'd get no argument.

You said "politics" were involved. Are you calling showcasing "politics?"

Had you said HHS did a great job of showcasing Ross then you'd get no argument.

You said "politics" were involved. Are you calling showcasing "politics?"

When I talk to people close to the situation that year, they call it politics...I guess I should have clarified in my original post.

Mike has told me in the past that his coaches asked him if he wanted them to "campaign" for him to get Mr. Basketball and he simply responded "my play on the court and numbers will do all the talking."

As far as the actual head to head match ups go between Brock and the other two:

1-14-03

Highlands 58 Simon Kenton 47

Mike Brock 25 pts, 9 rbs

Ross Neltner 8 pts

1-31-03

Simon Kenton 58 Ryle 46

Mike Brock 18 pts, 9 rbs

Justin Doellman 14 pts, 8 rbs

2-8-03

Highlands 48 Ryle 45

Justin Doellman 29 pts, 15 rbs

Ross Neltner 11 pts

3-15-03

Simon Kenton 54 Highlands 46

Mike Brock 26 pts

Ross Neltner 12 pts

Don't see how anyone can argue Neltner was the best of the 3 given the above numbers.

First of all, I simply said "Elijah Pittman has been pretty successful at each of his stops."

And I guess you over looked the part where I stated in my original post " there have been others to come through the 9th region with better credentials than what Doellman (and Pittman) have done." Where is the bias in my post???

I never said Pittman was one of the top 5 best players to ever come through Holmes. Was simply comparing college and now pro careers. For you to say EP is no where close to the level of Doellman shows a serious lack of backetball knowledge, IMO. Ask a few legendary coaches in the area and they will tell you he is among the best "bigs" to ever come through NKY but his off the court issues over shadowed his actual talent...their words, not mine.

You call that politics? I don't. Highlands has nothing to do with it. You can say what you want about Pittman, but he would not have even played on those teams at Holmes in the late 70's or early 80's.

Highlands guy has nothing to do with a frontrunner type now does it?

As far as the actual head to head match ups go between Brock and the other two:

1-14-03

Highlands 58 Simon Kenton 47

Mike Brock 25 pts, 9 rbs

Ross Neltner 8 pts

1-31-03

Simon Kenton 58 Ryle 46

Mike Brock 18 pts, 9 rbs

Justin Doellman 14 pts, 8 rbs

2-8-03

Highlands 48 Ryle 45

Justin Doellman 29 pts, 15 rbs

Ross Neltner 11 pts

3-15-03

Simon Kenton 54 Highlands 46

Mike Brock 26 pts

Ross Neltner 12 pts

Don't see how anyone can argue Neltner was the best of the 3 given the above numbers.

Come on, this looks like posts from someone else on here. When they attempt to support your argument, you post them and when not, you are silent. Why don't you post their numbers for the entire year, game by game and let everyone get a look.

Brock played at EKU correct, Doellman played at X correct and Neltner played at LSU and then Vandy correct? Think the college coaches knew what they were doing? Showcasing is certainly not politicking, but if it makes your story look good then so be it.

My top coach's would include Wooden as honorable mention since his accomplishments were not made in NKY. Dayton was merely a pit stop to glory. Number #1 would be Shields, #2 Flynn, #3 Listerman, #4 Jones (Campbell Co.) # 5 Dawn.

Nice list but I would argue Coach Jim Connor and his 450+ wins puts him on that list.