Everything posted by ESPNdeux
-
2A #8 Newport Central Catholic at 3A #4 Belfry
This might not be a popular question, but... Why is this game played? Are there no other options within four hours for either school?
-
Newport Central Catholic 20 Scott 12 (JV)
Anyone look good for either team
-
Newport Central Catholic 41 Scott 0
Was impressed with a few things in particular for NewCath. A) They opened holes and protected well B) They made adjustments well that put them in a good position to open holes and protect well C) They tackled well at every level defensively We make a big deal of a lot of things in this game but many times it’s pretty simple. If you can block and tackle you stand a pretty good shot.
-
Joe Wynn is the new Newport Football Coach
Joe played for Steve Lickert at Dayton and has been his right hand since. I know he was a big part of the offensive game plan at CCHS and was on the headsets with Lickert this past year. Also I know he took the long road but worked his butt off and sometimes had job, practice, and classes (along with a family) in the same day but recently graduated with his teaching degree. Great example for kids of a guy that comes from not a lot and worked hard to get his shot. Glad for Joe and hope he can make a difference at Newport.
-
Beechwood 9 Newport Central Catholic 0 (9th Region All A Final)
NCC had chances early and couldn't get the big hit. Seemed like they were feeling some pressure as their defense fell apart late and really put it out of reach.
-
Who would win? Thomas More College or Covington Catholic?
Complete disrespect for the D3 game in general.
-
Signs that the "Sweet 16" is Thriving or Declining
Red book rules. Price of lodging/parking/food. Sunday finals format leaves too much down time. Lack of entertainment in the area. Move it to Louisville and go back to the Wednesday to Saturday format.
-
Fouls To Give
Giving a foul is easier said than done. If not practiced, it can be difficult for a player and difficult for a coach to ask them to do it.
-
NKY/9th Region Awards
I didn’t compare anything. You asked a question. I answered it. If you took that as a comparison... ♂️
-
NKY/9th Region Awards
Fairly certain that isn't true... Teams like Heritage and Latin would have representation and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they do... There also have been some down years for teams now and then and they just don't get picked... Lloyd for the few years before last year comes to mind. Or Beechwood when they first moved up...
-
NKY/9th Region Awards
Looks like you're referring to NKAC big school awards. Which I think were announce a couple weeks ago.... I didn't think region wide awards have been announced yet?
-
Covington Catholic 53 Cooper 49 (9th Region Semifinals)
Am I correct in thinking that CCH did not have a 4th quarter field goal?
-
Nicholas County 102 St. Patrick 89
I have no dog in the race but... it appears that almost every St Pats opponent for the past several weeks is getting to the line nearly 30 times a game. Perhaps they foul a lot?
-
Conner 48 Bellevue 45
I think a lot of teams are starting to figure out that if you play Bellevue to a score in the 40's or 50's you are going to be in a dogfight. They play their system well.
-
Scott 88 Ludlow 51
I believe quite a few DIII teams have been 'playing up' more and more... Bellevue played Conner tough last night, and I believe Villa played Ryle tight early in the year... And I think nearly all of the DIII schools now play the likes of St. Henry, Brossart, etc. They obviously can't go toe to toe with the big schools every night. But in the long run that should be an advantage and better brand of basketball from the NKY small schools.
-
Ryle 70 St. Patrick 59
Actually I believe Ryle also played Villa Madonna and Bellevue now that you mention it...
-
Calvary Christian 63 St. Patrick 44
I would bet any coach that has a kid averaging 25 a game would be pumping his kid up asking for more publicity too. He's only doing his job in that regard. That said, D1 isn't just a skill set. It's a body type. If he were 6'3" is like saying if the tall kid could shoot. He ain't so it doesn't really matter... That said, Rusch is a great player and could be a good player at the right place on the next level... Here's a comparison for those of you that have been watching the tenth for awhile... His offensive game reminds me a lot of Corey Pelle...
-
Bellevue 55 Villa 49 (OT)
Tight throughout the first half. Bellevue slightly outplays Villa most of the 2nd half. Villa erases a 7 point deficit in the last minute with a tying 3 with 5 seconds left. Bellevue misses the game winner, but gets to the line several times in OT to win it. Really good, if slower paced game. Exciting end to regulation. Kind of anticlimactic overtime. Poorly officiated throughout. Neither team shot really well from the field. Maehren had to have led Bellevue. Villa probably had two or three kids around 8 to 10 points.
-
How to fix the boys Sweet 16’s attendance issue.
The sweet 16 has been up against the first round forever and it was never an issue... I think it actually enhanced the experience of the week...
-
2A Classic set to launch in 2019
I believe Tennessee also splits divisions because some schools can offer scholarship and some can’t
-
2A Classic set to launch in 2019
About what I thought. Just short of half. The A isn't what it set out to be anyways and sure it's a 'small school' tournament anymore... So whats the point anyways then of the A, or the 'new' 2A ? 125 playing in the A, and now another 66 playing in the '2A'... Thats 191 of the 270 anyways...
-
2A Classic set to launch in 2019
Agree... how many basketball playing schools are there? It has to be over a third playing in the A.
-
2A Classic set to launch in 2019
Well... what else do you suppose we should base it on?
-
2A Classic set to launch in 2019
In all reality, half the teams already playing in the All A probably wouldn’t qualify as “A” school by most standards anyways. So this will really be more of a “3/4A” Classic than 2A
-
Kentucky Statewide 1000 Point Club
Heritage struggles now but not so long ago, probably ten years or so, they had competitive teams with multiple 1,000 point scorers. Jackson and his older brother Bert Jr... the St. Blachard brothers Rick and Ryan... Probably a couple more...