30 for 30: I Still Hate Laettner

3Goggles

A great teammate is one that gets you to the top of the podium. There are lot of other measures of a good team mate that team members may lean when they do not get to the top but job one is to win.

Four Final 4s, two national championships - a teammate that is a catalyst and main contributor to that is one anyone would take.

It appears that Laettner push his teammates to be better. They got to the top with him. Maybe they BBQ together sometimes - maybe not. But he and they met the objective in way few teams every have.

I love the story of the 2002 final where Hurley got on Laettner at halftime. Sounds like the student became the master in the end.

I will also note in the post game where Laettner and coach K engage to the point where Coach K says - you can tell he does not have any eligibility left.

Cockiness, arrogant, brash - they all fit. But when your goal is winning and you do - some simply do not care.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to a sports radio show out of Nashville yesterday and they had John Feinstein on as a guest. He made it sound like several of the Duke players did not get along with Laettner. Said something about Laettner and Hurley almost coming to blows during a tour of the Pentagon (I'm assuming after they won the championship) because Leattner was bullying him the whole time. Also mentioned a time during a game in which Hill, Laettner, and Hurley were just screaming a cussing at each other and Coach K called a time out and threatened to leave the floor if they didn't want to win. Said he didn't care if the lost and was leaving. Said at that point Laettner stood up screamed we ain't losing and walk out of the huddle to the center of the court. Maybe time has healed old wounds but according to Feinstein there were several other players who didn't care for Laettner.

Just watched it earlier yesterday and really liked it. Even though I liked it, it made me realize how old I've gotten, which I didn't care for as much. Great show though; no doubt Laetner will always be remembered as one of the best all time at the college level and I agree with what many said about him being the player to change Duke's image.

He could have refused to do the documentary. He doesn't have to get on there and bash anyone. He could have said I don't want to do it like Chris Webber did for the Fab Five 30 for 30. I'm a black and white kind of person though. I try not to assume anything. You want me to believe Hurley hated him well then tell Hurley to say he hates him. On the documentary Hurley was the one who said he told Christian he loved him.

This would have been the perfect stage for Hurley to express his hate for Laettner and get a pass for it.

Haha.... yea, he doesn't, Hurley would never be under indictment, nor would any Duke player. If I'm guessing, the NCAA didn't care about the coin they got from Michigan though, and I think Webber is doing pretty well considering too. Dude got hurt in the Pros and was still one of the best at his position during that generation. #KingsFan here, was in 2002 when they got ripped and will be as long as they keep Cousins.

Hurley: I'm sure dude loves him now, like I said, and personally I think he's probably changed some since (though I don't know him personally), but I still have more respect for Hurley after watching the documentary.

Laettner: Don't think it was wrong to dislike him at the time but think definitely think differently of him after the documentary.

This may have already been said but the worst jerk of them all could be Laettner's older brother. Sounds like he bullied Christian throughout his childhood.

That's kind of what I thought, too. Where were the parents during all this? Evidently, the parents condoned that type of behavior from the brother. To each his own, I guess.

This may have already been said but the worst jerk of them all could be Laettner's older brother. Sounds like he bullied Christian throughout his childhood.

That's kind of what I thought, too. Where were the parents during all this? Evidently, the parents condoned that type of behavior from the brother. To each his own, I guess.

Seriously? Who didn't bully their little brother?

Seriously? Who didn't bully their little brother?

The show made it out that it was a bigger deal than normal big brother/little brother bullying. I admit that I may be biased because I despise bullies and all they stand for.

Our attitude was - no blood, no broken bones, no broken drywall - then we do not want to here about it. Condoning and keeping a control rod in the 'brotherly love reactor' are two different things.

Our attitude was - no blood, no broken bones, no broken drywall - then we do not want to here about it. Condoning and keeping a control rod in the 'brotherly love reactor' are two different things.

We have the same thing, except when it comes to the arguing....God almighty. If I hear one IDENTICAL twin call the other IDENTICAL twin ugly one more time, I'll need the time out.