Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

30 for 30: I Still Hate Laettner

Featured Replies

Agree ... Laettner was great, I hated his pompass attitude along with the cheap shots that he would throw in practically every game. Should anything have "cheapened" his play then that was it but no true college bb fan could imo dislike the passion and ability that he played with.

As for the hated Duke players I would have to say that Wojo is around the top of my list.

 

If Wojo was any good I'd hate on him...but his awesome defense on Wayne Turner allowed that comeback in 98!!!

  • Replies 194
  • Views 27k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Wojo was any good I'd hate on him...but his awesome defense on Wayne Turner allowed that comeback in 98!!!

 

Appears that he has the same coaching ability, did you watch Marquette any this season ? He should have stayed on as coach K's puppet, at least then he looked like he knew what he was doing.

For everyone who is talking about all of Laettner's talent and what a great college player he was, he's a guy who didn't really do much at all at the next level.

 

For what a great teammate he was, he doesn't have a lot of pros talking about what a great teammate he was either.

 

He averaged 13 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 1 block a game in a 13 year career. Made an All Star team as well. I'm not saying he is a Hall of Famer but that is a respectable career.

 

When has he ever been called a great teammate?

Well, being part of a failed investment that essentially took $30 million from investors, then twice refusing to turn over financial info to creditors before a court orders you to-- that's the kind of thing that rubs people wrong.

 

He also had to have failed at least three drug tests to be suspended for the amount of time he was under the league's policy at the time. Look at a guy like Josh Gordon right now and how many he's failed while in the pros, and that's kind of what you have.

 

Look at the stuff people say about others who've essentially took $30 million from creditors then behaved as he did and see what people have said. Look at the stuff people say about a pro who has failed three drug tests. He's done both. That's not really "without controversy" to me.

 

Wow. You're seriously comparing Laettner to Josh Gordon? :lol2: :lol2:

Something that I think is going unnoticed: people are like, "people hate Laettner because he was so good", etc. No, lots of people hate Laettner because he was a jerk. Even his own teammates didn't like him according to the documentary.

 

Which teammates didn't like him? It's been mentioned in this thread already. I'm ready for names of the teammates who hate him. I missed that part.

Which teammates didn't like him? It's been mentioned in this thread already. I'm ready for names of the teammates who hate him. I missed that part.

 

 

People who liked him then and still do: Davis and ???

 

People who didn't like him at the time and seemed political about it now: Hurley

 

Not really sure where Grant Hill and his getting smacked in the back of the head and things like that falls on it, and I mean that honestly.

 

Only teammate I've seen that was a real friend then and is now is Davis.

Wow. You're seriously comparing Laettner to Josh Gordon? :lol2: :lol2:

 

I believe I said, "look at a guy like Josh Gordon right now and how many he's failed while in the pros" and that's essentially what you have now.

 

I mean, I can understand failing one, or even two, but three? And when you know you've already failed two? Granted, the league wasn't as harsh with the policy back then, but yea...

 

 

All that said, I do think Laettner legit could be a different guy now and might not actually be the same dude he was then, but it's not like he's without controversy or that there aren't people who still have good reason to sincerely dislike him (just read up on the failed business deal for evidence of that... much less of a "you went to Duke so I hate you" and much more of a "you were shady about dealings that costed investors $30 million" thing).

People who liked him then and still do: Davis and ???

 

People who didn't like him at the time and seemed political about it now: Hurley

 

Not really sure where Grant Hill and his getting smacked in the back of the head and things like that falls on it, and I mean that honestly.

 

Only teammate I've seen that was a real friend then and is now is Davis.

 

They hate him so much they appeared on a documentary when they didn't have to. Granted we're all allowed to make our own opinions and are going to see and hear what we want. I'm just not sure why Bobby Hurley would admit jumping into Christian's arms and telling him he loved him if he was appearing on the documentary for political purposes. I didn't realize Bobby was still under Christian's control and can't man up and say what he wants. He is from Jersey and all....

 

Grant Hill doesn't hate anybody. He doesn't know how to.

They hate him so much they appeared on a documentary when they didn't have to. Granted we're all allowed to make our own opinions and are going to see and hear what we want. I'm just not sure why Bobby Hurley would admit jumping into Christian's arms and telling him he loved him if he was appearing on the documentary for political purposes. I didn't realize Bobby was still under Christian's control and can't man up and say what he wants. He is from Jersey and all....

 

Grant Hill doesn't hate anybody. He doesn't know how to.

 

Ok, Hurley is also a young coach and it probably doesn't hurt recruiting to be on a documentary about what a great college player he was, what great teams he was on, etc. It's probably not good form to get on there and bash Laettner too hard. Reading between the lines of what both Hurley and K (as well as others) seemed to be saying, it seemed like they weren't really fond of each other then. Like I said above, I think Laettner has probably changed some. That, as well as the following, is speculation, but I could see a situation where fences were mended, but that was probably on Laettner to do more than anyone else.

I believe I said, "look at a guy like Josh Gordon right now and how many he's failed while in the pros" and that's essentially what you have now.

 

I mean, I can understand failing one, or even two, but three? And when you know you've already failed two? Granted, the league wasn't as harsh with the policy back then, but yea...

 

 

All that said, I do think Laettner legit could be a different guy now and might not actually be the same dude he was then, but it's not like he's without controversy or that there aren't people who still have good reason to sincerely dislike him (just read up on the failed business deal for evidence of that... much less of a "you went to Duke so I hate you" and much more of a "you were shady about dealings that costed investors $30 million" thing).

 

Josh Gordon has failed way more tests than Laettner. In the NFL they actually know when they are being tested in the offseason and they have to fail a certain number before they are thrown in the program just like the NBA. That's what makes the NFL system a joke. If I am not mistaken Randy Moss was never suspended by the NFL for failing a marijuana test and Randy Moss was never known to be in the program. You think he never smoked weed during his NFL career? That's what makes Josh Gordon's situation so sad. He knew when tests were coming and still failed. He was banned a year, luckily got it reduced and then banned a year again after the fact. And you want to compare Laettner's 5 game suspension for weed to that???? Seriously?

 

Everybody knows about the shady business dealings. Old news. I'd hate him too if he swindled my money. That isn't why anyone on this board hates him though.

Ok, Hurley is also a young coach and it probably doesn't hurt recruiting to be on a documentary about what a great college player he was, what great teams he was on, etc. It's probably not good form to get on there and bash Laettner too hard. Reading between the lines of what both Hurley and K (as well as others) seemed to be saying, it seemed like they weren't really fond of each other then. Like I said above, I think Laettner has probably changed some. That, as well as the following, is speculation, but I could see a situation where fences were mended, but that was probably on Laettner to do more than anyone else.

 

He could have refused to do the documentary. He doesn't have to get on there and bash anyone. He could have said I don't want to do it like Chris Webber did for the Fab Five 30 for 30. I'm a black and white kind of person though. I try not to assume anything. You want me to believe Hurley hated him well then tell Hurley to say he hates him. On the documentary Hurley was the one who said he told Christian he loved him.

 

This would have been the perfect stage for Hurley to express his hate for Laettner and get a pass for it.

I would never wear a I Still Hate Laettner shirt. Now if it was a I Still Hate Danny Ferry shirt I would wear it to church.:sssh::D

How is "great teammate" defined? If it means being liked by your teammates, no, Laettner was probably not a great teammate. If it means making your teammates play closer to their optimum ability, then, yes, he probably was a great teammate.

He could have refused to do the documentary. He doesn't have to get on there and bash anyone. He could have said I don't want to do it like Chris Webber did for the Fab Five 30 for 30. I'm a black and white kind of person though. I try not to assume anything. You want me to believe Hurley hated him well then tell Hurley to say he hates him. On the documentary Hurley was the one who said he told Christian he loved him.

 

This would have been the perfect stage for Hurley to express his hate for Laettner and get a pass for it.

 

 

I think you are searching here PP. The body language of Hurley was evident to me. He has a bond with Laettner but I don't think it's forged thru friendship. You use the word hate. I don't think they hate him, but I don't think they hang around as old buddies either. Grant Hill is more laid back than Bobby, but I don't think he's all that chummy with him either.

 

Just my take.

 

I just went back n found where Christian said Hurley jumped in his arms and told said: I love you. I'm trying to find where Hurley said it. Did he? Or are we remembering what Christian testifies he said?

I think you are searching here PP. The body language of Hurley was evident to me. He has a bond with Laettner but I don't think it's forged thru friendship. You use the word hate. I don't think they hate him, but I don't think they hang around as old buddies either. Grant Hill is more laid back than Bobby, but I don't think he's all that chummy with him either.

 

Just my take.

 

I just went back n found where Christian said Hurley jumped in his arms and told said: I love you. I'm trying to find where Hurley said it. Did he? Or are we remembering what Christian testifies he said?

 

Bobby Hurley has always been an awkward person when seen on TV. He looked like Bobby Hurley to me.

 

I don't see any of them hanging around as old buddies but I'd be shocked if they had a 25 year reunion and Bobby refused to socialize with Christian. Everyone sees what they want to see though.

 

Somebody said it. I thought it was Hurley who said it. I could be wrong.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.