Am I overreacting?

Let me rephrase. I've seen parents deliver a Gatorade to their children either directly, through an assistant coach, or through a team manager between the tip-off and the final horn several times.

I saw it last night going directly to the players,,Toyota Classic..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would only agree with you IF the parent is also using that time to get in his son's ear about things he should be doing on the floor. That simply can't happen.

If it is just handing off a Gatorade ....

He 100% leaned forward and said something, but I am not a fan whether or not he said anything. Not that big of a deal, I didn't think to mention it when it happened, but I did notice it at the time and thought it seemed odd. Wouldn't be my move, I'll just say that.

When my son played in highschool - he would at times have an issue with camping up. For him, Gatorade would provide faster relief than water would. The jugs on the bench always had water. So, there were times when I would get him a Gatorade and give to him during the game. I would always wait till stoppage in play however to give to him. Saw and still see no issue in it.

It happens so often with my teams and teams we play I just figured it was common place anymore. Usually with my younger kids and mostly before the game or at halftime, but happens with my high school teams too. Of course with my group and the teams we normally play, the atmosphere is much more...informal maybe is the word to use. Smaller crowds too. I don't really notice it when I have time off and go watch high school games, but then I'm not looking for it either.

I've done it after halftime of games if my boys have drank through what they have. They are 13 and most soccer games don't have water supplied. I've never done it during a game. I don't see myself doing it beyond this year, especially now that the coach wants them texting and calling him directly with questions, arriving late, and things like that. Water for games and practice seems to fit into that.

It's not a problem, until your entire roster has mommy and daddy behind your bench handing out juice boxes and orange slices. You're in high school, if you can't figure out a way to get a Gatorade beforehand then drink the water provided.

Like always, it's not a big deal initially. Of course, until each parent sees it happen and thinks they'd like to "get in their kids ear" too.

At the high school level, if it happens once or twice, I don't think it's a big deal.

In 4 years my guy signaled me one time for a drink. It was a scrimmage. Maybe he thought the jugs would be set up, or maybe they were empty or maybe he already drank the one he brought or maybe someone else grabbed his drink and drank it. Who knows.

Got him a Gatorade and handed it to him. Did not speak to anyone during the handoff.

Just life.

Don't judge me. :lol2:

Edited by hoops5

For the record, I'd never do it. I'm pretty sure my sons would have acted like they didn't know me if I approached the bench in high school.

I guarantee you if my dad had done that when I was in high school, I would have shook him off and he would be packing that Gatorade back to his seat with him. No way I would have taken it.

Have had my Mother get me a Gatorade during more than one baseball game because I was dying of thirst and I'd asked her to. Was not ashamed at all. Played catcher one year while playing JV and into the season of summer ball. It's humid. Gear is hot. It happens. Not really a big deal to have a parent come to the fence and hand a Gatorade over, though I understand that baseball is a little different.

If I'm a coach, it's a big deal if it's more than that and they're trying to give advice, coach over me, what have you. I'd also say that a lot of it also depends on the kind of program you have, the expectations, all that. If I'm a school with a big time program and I have plenty of Gatorade for the kids or a manager that the parent can hand it to who'll then give it to the kid, then I'm not really sure that there's a point to the parent delivering it and I can see how it would cause problems.

If you are a smaller school and maybe don't have tons of resources and there's just water there and it's having a Gatorade handed to you because you like it better than water or have an issue with cramping and need it, and nothing more, then I'm not sure I see the big deal. At the same time understand why a coach would want to put the brakes on it if there's even a hint of it becoming an issue.

I've never paid enough attention to be able to answer my own question, but I've often wondered if teams take any precautions to make sure each player has their own bottle to drink from?

I admittedly am a germaphobe, and I believe with good reason.

Is this at all a concern with teams, or is everyone swigging out of bottles not considering that others have been swigging out of it too?