Am I overreacting?

It bugs me when parents go over to the bench, during the game, to give their son or daughter a Gatorade. When I was a kid, my mom never approached the bench during a game to give me anything. I drank from the jug at the end of the bench.

Am I just too much of a stick in the mud?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It bugs me when parents go over to the bench, during the game, to give their son or daughter a Gatorade. When I was a kid, my mom never approached the bench during a game to give me anything. I drank from the jug at the end of the bench.

I've been to a LOT of basketball games. Mostly boys.

Never seen it happen.

I assume you are talking about high school ball? If so, it's time for the kid to grow up; time for the parents to cut the cord.

Some parents are like that, and some are not. It's nurturing to the parent to be able to provide little Johnny with what he needs. Yes, I too drank from the water cooler/bottle along with everyone else. Some parents are germaphobes and think providing individual drinks prevents spreading germs. It's a different world now.

No, you are not seeing things,,I have seen this several times this year. Yes it bugs me also. Really surprised the coaches tolerate it.....

Let me rephrase. I've seen parents deliver a Gatorade to their children either directly, through an assistant coach, or through a team manager between the tip-off and the final horn several times.

Happens all the time anymore. I've seen it many, many times at many, many games involving many, many teams. While some view it as harmless, I vehemently disagree with the practice. Time to cut the cord is exactly correct. Probably the same parents who tell their baby how mistreated they are by the coaching staff . . .

I've seen it once in the last 3 seasons. A kid at Ludlow, playing at the Lloyd Invitational two years ago, had a dad that would walk down the bleachers right behind the bench in each of their games and hand his kid a Gatorade. Never saw it before and have never seen it since.

Thought it was preposterous. Still do.

Yes

I've seen it once in the last 3 seasons. A kid at Ludlow, playing at the Lloyd Invitational two years ago, had a dad that would walk down the bleachers right behind the bench in each of their games and hand his kid a Gatorade. Never saw it before and have never seen it since.

Thought it was preposterous. Still do.

I would only agree with you IF the parent is also using that time to get in his son's ear about things he should be doing on the floor. That simply can't happen.

If it is just handing off a Gatorade ....