Am I overreacting?

For the record, I'd never do it. I'm pretty sure my sons would have acted like they didn't know me if I approached the bench in high school.

We did it with my step son at high school games. He did not want anyone see us do it. We just placed it on the floor at the end of the bench when we arrived and he picked it up after he warmed up and took it to the bench where he usually sat when not in the game.

I never thought anything of it and still don't. If the coach is ok, I am ok. If the coach says no, then we wouldn't have done it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's between the coach, player, and parent...

Unless the parent is saying something more than a simple "good job", "keep battling", etc, I say who cares.

Some of these gyms are only SLIGHTLY cooler that my turkey filled oven on Thanksgiving Day. A gatorade is probably more appropriate.

Back in dad's day, water discipline meant the weak got thirsty.

In my day, I don't remember anyone running around with bottles of gatorade. The gatorade we got, when lucky enough, was the parent or coach dumping a couple pouches of the powder mix into the big water jug.

Today, I buy multiple cases at Sam's - more often than I'd care to admit. Heck, most of the time I have a bottle or two in my camera bag in case, my kid, myself, or one of the other players need it.

I think this is along the lines of the thread back in football season about matching socks... (not a negative towards lady camel)

From the "back in my day" files: The only time I ever had Gatorade was on the sidelines and it was terrible. A big bag of powder dumped into a water cooler. Bottles of Gatorade? No.

We did it with my step son at high school games. He did not want anyone see us do it. We just placed it on the floor at the end of the bench when we arrived and he picked it up after he warmed up and took it to the bench where he usually sat when not in the game.

I never thought anything of it and still don't. If the coach is ok, I am ok. If the coach says no, then we wouldn't have done it.

Agreed. That's the way to handle it.

I have two girls, that both play on the high school team. My youngest has health issues that require Gatorade/Powerade. Her coach knows of these issues, and I put the Gatorade on the bench during warm ups with her initials on the lid. Place another one there at half-time while they are in the locker room. Guess I'm a terrible parent for taking care of my child.

I have two girls, that both play on the high school team. My youngest has health issues that require Gatorade/Powerade. Her coach knows of these issues, and I put the Gatorade on the bench during warm ups with her initials on the lid. Place another one there at half-time while they are in the locker room. Guess I'm a terrible parent for taking care of my child.

I think the issue is during the game; not before or during halftime.

It bugs me when parents go over to the bench, during the game, to give their son or daughter a Gatorade. When I was a kid, my mom never approached the bench during a game to give me anything. I drank from the jug at the end of the bench.

Am I just too much of a stick in the mud?

HATE this.

Try having a dugout with open ends.

I don't see the big issue with handing someone a drink for your son . If that all it is ... Not to interact with staff or players . There are a lot of medical conditions and reasons behind why some parents may do what they do . In the past never seen it as much , but in todays society even great athletic kids are dropping on the fields , more and more . I think it shouldn't bother anyone , to see a kid stay hydrated. Jmo

I've never paid enough attention to be able to answer my own question, but I've often wondered if teams take any precautions to make sure each player has their own bottle to drink from?

I admittedly am a germaphobe, and I believe with good reason.

Is this at all a concern with teams, or is everyone swigging out of bottles not considering that others have been swigging out of it too?

Mrs. TAC would get all out of whack when the kids used the same towels on the bench to dry off.

It bugs me when parents go over to the bench, during the game, to give their son or daughter a Gatorade. When I was a kid, my mom never approached the bench during a game to give me anything. I drank from the jug at the end of the bench.

Am I just too much of a stick in the mud?

Not everyone can sustain thirst like a camel can. :lol2:

HATE this.

Try having a dugout with open ends.

Hilarious! Our new dugouts were built with that in mind!!!! Not just the Gatorade thing, but no contact from parents! The only thing you see is the field from our dugouts! We do have a new water fountain in the home team dugout though!