American Sniper - Sneak Previews this Thursday

Hellbird

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a tad long, if you need to run errands or use the bathroom, now is the time. :lol2:

So I know my review will be in minority, I always seem to be. I know there are plenty of people that may see it this weekend, sometime in future or even wait till DVD, don’t worry, no spoilers from me.

First off, I haven’t read his book and honestly if you haven’t, it doesn’t really matter. His life and tragic death do put a face on film, but this could be about anyone going through this experience.

We have all seen movies that focus on atrocities of war, seen a movie about what military life, war and long deployment can do to families. We have seen films with cardboard villains, Braddock and Rambo screaming ‘MURICA as they save innocent people from tyranny. We have seen movies that focus on the “enemy” that despite our cultural differences, they too have families and lives that are torn apart by war. We have seen movies that focus on boot camp, seal training and how difficult it can be, we have seen movies that show our characters as young children and what happened to put them on the path they are walking as an adult. We have seen movies about people growing up with those who served or saw those towers fall and drove them to join the military.

What I just explained is around 7 different movies and this film tries to cover all the bases and just comes across as disjointed with no clear point of view and suffers because of it. It truly doesn’t know what it wants to be, ends up being a cookie cutter, paint by number, generic film that could have been far more. I’m not saying this is a bad movie and I understand why Eastwood chose this, because if you had primarily spent time on one part of his life, people would be upset they didn’t show more of this or that. That is why I love the movie Unbroken so much, many people were upset that 2nd half of his life was virtually ignored, but that’s a separate movie, it had a clear narrative, know what it wanted to say and went about it.

Cooper’s performance is good, there are so many different emotions that must be conveyed, I can only imagine how difficult it was trying to bring to life the many facets that made up Chris Kyle.

Alright, this is already too long, but the most powerful scene for me is what others have mentioned, the end credits. This isn’t a Marvel situation, so you won’t have to wait 10 minutes, but stay for the first half of the credits. We have all see how our country comes together in times of despair, the credit scene shows that. Despite what leads most newscasts, I think people in general are good and will genuinely help another if possible.

Living in Saginaw, Michigan a city that is routinely listed in top 5 FBI most dangerous cities, I have had random strangers offer me rides in poor weather. For those that don’t know me, I don’t drive and will usually walk where I need to go. On one occasion, I was walking in pouring rain, a lady pulled up and gave me an umbrella. Seeing the credit scene delivers home just how strong we can all be.

If anyone has actually taken time to read all this, thank you and I’m sorry, I tend to be chatty.

This is going to be a tad long, if you need to run errands or use the bathroom, now is the time. :lol2:

So I know my review will be in minority, I always seem to be. I know there are plenty of people that may see it this weekend, sometime in future or even wait till DVD, don’t worry, no spoilers from me.

First off, I haven’t read his book and honestly if you haven’t, it doesn’t really matter. His life and tragic death do put a face on film, but this could be about anyone going through this experience.

We have all seen movies that focus on atrocities of war, seen a movie about what military life, war and long deployment can do to families. We have seen films with cardboard villains, Braddock and Rambo screaming ‘MURICA as they save innocent people from tyranny. We have seen movies that focus on the “enemy” that despite our cultural differences, they too have families and lives that are torn apart by war. We have seen movies that focus on boot camp, seal training and how difficult it can be, we have seen movies that show our characters as young children and what happened to put them on the path they are walking as an adult. We have seen movies about people growing up with those who served or saw those towers fall and drove them to join the military.

What I just explained is around 7 different movies and this film tries to cover all the bases and just comes across as disjointed with no clear point of view and suffers because of it. It truly doesn’t know what it wants to be, ends up being a cookie cutter, paint by number, generic film that could have been far more. I’m not saying this is a bad movie and I understand why Eastwood chose this, because if you had primarily spent time on one part of his life, people would be upset they didn’t show more of this or that. That is why I love the movie Unbroken so much, many people were upset that 2nd half of his life was virtually ignored, but that’s a separate movie, it had a clear narrative, know what it wanted to say and went about it.

Cooper’s performance is good, there are so many different emotions that must be conveyed, I can only imagine how difficult it was trying to bring to life the many facets that made up Chris Kyle.

Alright, this is already too long, but the most powerful scene for me is what others have mentioned, the end credits. This isn’t a Marvel situation, so you won’t have to wait 10 minutes, but stay for the first half of the credits. We have all see how our country comes together in times of despair, the credit scene shows that. Despite what leads most newscasts, I think people in general are good and will genuinely help another if possible.

Living in Saginaw, Michigan a city that is routinely listed in top 5 FBI most dangerous cities, I have had random strangers offer me rides in poor weather. For those that don’t know me, I don’t drive and will usually walk where I need to go. On one occasion, I was walking in pouring rain, a lady pulled up and gave me an umbrella. Seeing the credit scene delivers home just how strong we can all be.

If anyone has actually taken time to read all this, thank you and I’m sorry, I tend to be chatty.

I read it and you are welcome lol.

I think what the movie does really well and what Bradley Cooper really did well, was show the struggle he faced everytime he finished up a tour. The Post Tramatic Stress he went through was really well portrayed and that is what I loved most about the movie I think. It had the emotions of the characte that I thought Unbroken lacked.

I will disagree with you and say that it never really had that hollywood recipe going for it on how to make movies in that there wasn't the hero in the end saving the day. It was a true story and that is why I really enjoyed it the most. It didn't glamorize war and even though those around him looked up to him as a hero, he brushed that aside and was more concerned with saving the lives of his fellow brothers and getting the Butcher.

BTW, one of the most powerful scenes in my eyes and really put what war is about in perspective was when he met his brother on the tarmac.

Yes, it was similar with Lone Survivor, but this movie you can multiply that feeling 10 fold. The reason is, they did something very clever with this movie when they run the credits at the very end. There is no music. It is dead silence and I guarantee they did it on purpose to add to the affect and boy did it work.

I lost it at the end. emotions got the best of me

Question for Hellbird and those that saw it, is it a movie that my wife, who's not fond of the Lone Survivor movie for all the profanity and gore, would enjoy or is it along those lines to that extent?

There are quite a few hardcore scenes showing shooting deaths with gore. So while it doesn't dominate the movie, it is prevalent enough.

Question for Hellbird and those that saw it, is it a movie that my wife, who's not fond of the Lone Survivor movie for all the profanity and gore, would enjoy or is it along those lines to that extent?

I doubt she will like this movie to be honest Doc.

Just got home from seeing the movie. It Sold Out 45 minutes before show time.

Movie was pretty much what I expected it to be. I really enjoyed it and may see it again this week with my son. My wife and daughter both liked the movie. Cooper does a great job, you never once think, hey that's Bradley Cooper.

I'll probably re-read the book as soon as I finish the current book I'm reading.

The ending was rough for me, and as other stated it was dead quiet in the theater at the end.

Just got home from seeing the movie. It Sold Out 45 minutes before show time.

Movie was pretty much what I expected it to be. I really enjoyed it and may see it again this week with my son. My wife and daughter both liked the movie. Cooper does a great job, you never once think, hey that's Bradley Cooper.

I'll probably re-read the book as soon as I finish the current book I'm reading.

The ending was rough for me, and as other stated it was dead quiet in the theater at the end.

At AMC cinema in NKY, every showing sold out including the one I watched at 10:00. Hell of a movie and is one of the best I've ever watched. I've never walked out at the ending of a movie like I did this one; you could literally hear a pen drop.

I'll say this, regardless of being military or not, it's a must watch IMO.