American Sniper - Sneak Previews this Thursday

Hellbird

"There's another question people ask a lot: 'Did it bother you killing so many people in Iraq?' I tell them, 'No.' … I loved what I did. … I'm not lying or exaggerating to say it was fun. I had the time of my life being a SEAL"

He enjoyed protecting his guys and killing the enemy. Like I said before, i'm not judging the man. I can accept the good and the bad and some of the complicated events that surrounded Chris Kyle. I would have loved having him providing overwatch when I was in Afghanistan. I'm just pointing out the differences between him in the movie and the book. He mentions in interviews the only thing that had him worried was the legal ramifications of shooting. Let me say it like this, many others and I came to the conclusion that this man was not bothered by killing and liked it when I finished the reading the book. People interpret what they read and hear differently. It doesn't take away from the fact that Chris Kyle is a hero to me.

IMO, he enjoyed killing the enemy because he saw them as pure evil. I also think when he said it "was fun" he was talking about the whole experience of a SEAL.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, he enjoyed killing the enemy because he saw them as pure evil. I also think when he said it "was fun" he was talking about the whole experience of a SEAL.

Woodsrider, if that is how you interpreted the quote or the book if you read it, you are certainley entitled to that opinion. I came to that conclusion as well . It's just that I have had to defend some people from harsh backlash due to them not having a favorable opinion of Chris Kyle because they believed the movie did not accuratley portray him. I'm just being objective and trying to see how others came to their conclusion about the movie and I understood where they were coming from. I believe this subject has some grey area and that is where people differ.

Woodsrider, if that is how you interpreted the quote or the book if you read it, you are certainley entitled to that opinion. I came to that conclusion as well . It's just that I have had to defend some people from harsh backlash due to them not having a favorable opinion of Chris Kyle because they believed the movie did not accuratley portray him. I'm just being objective and trying to see how others came to their conclusion about the movie and I understood where they were coming from. I believe this subject has some grey area and that is where people differ.

I picked up the book yesterday and started reading last night. I'm only about 100 pages in so far but will say based on what I've read so far, the movie was not an accurate portrayal of Chris Kyle. I'm not saying that as a negative to Chris Kyle.

For example, the opening scene when he shot the kid and woman. It was actually only a woman and he didn't really seem to have that much trouble with it. Yes, at first he wasn't sure but after the shot there wasn't this internal conflict that they seemed to show in the movie. He said she was evil, that she was already dead, he just made sure she didn't take any Americans or other innocents with her.

I picked up the book yesterday and started reading last night. I'm only about 100 pages in so far but will say based on what I've read so far, the movie was not an accurate portrayal of Chris Kyle. I'm not saying that as a negative to Chris Kyle.

For example, the opening scene when he shot the kid and woman. It was actually only a woman and he didn't really seem to have that much trouble with it. Yes, at first he wasn't sure but after the shot there wasn't this internal conflict that they seemed to show in the movie. He said she was evil, that she was already dead, he just made sure she didn't take any Americans or other innocents with her.

I wholeheartedly agree. I believe the clash I see in the media and in real life is mix of people who just saw the movie and those who read the book and saw the movie. How people feel about the military also plays a big part. Personally, like Larry Wilmore said last night, "I don't take movies that seriously ... You know, if I did, every time I got on a [cuss word] plane there would be some [cuss word] snakes." I think it is an insane example of people want every single detail in a 2 hour movie. I'm just glad it is bringing more attention to PTSD and the life of veterans when they come home.

I think many who are unhappy with the move are so because it wasn't , in their mind, an accurate portrayal of the war. It didn't deal with the details. Not having seen the movie yet I'm guessing its intent was not political and more of a study of snipers. My guess is it does have some gratuitous lines or shots but that's Hollywood and to be expected.

If someone comes out of this movie somehow thinking it justified the war OR showed that the war was wrong then my guess is they missed the point.

The movie in no way is a portrayal of the war at all. It has no political message at all either especially when it comes to the war.

What the movie shows is the reason Kyle joined the military in the first place which was the same reason many joined the military this generation. He joined before 9/11 but joined for the same reason many joined after 9/11 and that was because of terrorist attacks. He along with many of us who served felt it was his duty to serve.

I understand how people who don't serve may not feel the same about being their duty etc. and that is fine. I will never and have never thought negatively of anyone who hadn't served as it is each individuals right to do what they wish.

This movie was not about the reason we were at war, or what the governments stance on the war etc. but what it was was a depiction of what Kyle went through during his tours and his home life.

Just as anyone who has served can only experience what their daily life in the military is and perform their duties that is asked of them to perform. They don't sit back and wonder what the political message is for their actions but just do what they are supposed to do.

So anyone expecting any type of message about war other than how it affects the individuals that are fighting in the wars themselves are seeing the movie for the wrong reason.

They will not find any political message hidden within the plot, what they will experience is the mental anguish our servicemen and women go through. It is more of a personal exploration of one solider than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it today. They wrapped up the ending fairly quick, meaning his recovery. Movie was similar to Saving Private Ryan. Military scenes were sharp but the movie lacked some depth. I liked it, knew little of the story so it was new to me. I would not put it up there as an all time great. It is a movie people want to like going in. It does not disappoint in that regard. The man was a hero.

/Semi controversial take.