American Sniper - Sneak Previews this Thursday

Hellbird

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the best two scenes were when he was in the bar alone on his way home and called his wife and when he was on the tarmac with his brother.

I'm personally really glad that the movie is doing so well, and if some want to bash it, those are the type of people who will look at anything just to find negativity, or to try to get their name in the news (e.g. Michael Moore). This movie doing so well will hopefully give many of us normal citizens a new respect for how hard psychologically war can be.

Another reason I'm glad its doing so well, hopefully more movies like this will be made in the future.

I might go see it again.

Saw this with the fam on Sat, AMC at the Levee IMAX. Order tickets on line and arrive 30-45 mins early, be prepared to wait in line. IMAX theatre is the largest at the levee and well worth the additional few dollars. The sand storm and pursuit of mustafa scene had me about out of my seat. Good film and portrayal of ptsd. Will look forward to seeing it again down the road. Really enjoyed the ending and accompanying silence!

note to Clint Eastwood: use real baby vs. fake in the nursery scene (please forgive my former copy editor eye)

And Kyle's murdererer is still awaiting trail. Which I'm surprised by concerning TX justice system.

If the book and movie are not in sync that will not bother me one bit. I'm glad the movie is getting the acclaim for portraying the home life. As for the "loved killing" part, I guess I should rephrase that to him enjoying killing the enemy. I can understand why some people find that off-putting vs the man in the movie who struggled with it.

IMO the movie did not make it look like he struggled in killing the enemy. It showed him struggling to shoot a child.

The rest of the world doesn't play by the same rules we do. We do not sacrafice our women and children.

My father was a sharp shooter in Vietnam. They would strap bombs to children and tell them they either go towards our soldiers or they would shoot them.

Most people who have served in active combat would tell you that killing the enemy is easy because it feels justified and you are defending yourself and your brothers.

Killing an inocent is a different story. You never forget it.

I saw it yesterday at Newport AMC and it was intense. I noticed my heart rate increasing during several scenes. He was a true hero and saved a lot of US Soldiers lives. I feel for his family, his children who will not have him.

You could hear a pin drop as the credits rolled. Everyone walked out and nobody spoke, just blank stares.

My gosh, that is hard to comprehend.

Yep.

Rather hard to phathom isn't it?

They would also try to film it, a US soldier shooting a child, and use it as propeganda. Of course you couldn't tell the child was wearing a bomb.

I have always told my sons and their friends to thank God that they were blessed to be born in this great nation. We are not perfect, but we are the best game in town.

There is more evil in this world than most US citizens can comprehend.

IMO the movie did not make it look like he struggled in killing the enemy. It showed him struggling to shoot a child.

The rest of the world doesn't play by the same rules we do. We do not sacrafice our women and children.

My father was a sharp shooter in Vietnam. They would strap bombs to children and tell them they either go towards our soldiers or they would shoot them.

Most people who have served in active combat would tell you that killing the enemy is easy because it feels justified and you are defending yourself and your brothers.

Killing an inocent is a different story. You never forget it.

If you read the man's memoir it certainely did. In his memoir he enjoyed it quite a bit whether it was a child or adult. Most people I served with did not find killing the enemy easy. Especially the higher ranking soldiers with years experience. Killing another human being is NOT EASY, even if it's justified.

If you read the man's memoir it certainely did. In his memoir he enjoyed it quite a bit whether it was a child or adult. Most people I served with did not find killing the enemy easy. Especially the higher ranking soldiers with years experience. Killing another human being is NOT EASY, even if it's justified.

Where did it say he say he enjoyed it quite a bit? Which chapter? I could have missed that.

I think he "Enjoyed" saving the men he was fighting with and he "Enjoyed" protecting them.

Where did it say he say he enjoyed it quite a bit? Which chapter? I could have missed that.

I think he "Enjoyed" saving the men he was fighting with and he "Enjoyed" protecting them.

"There's another question people ask a lot: 'Did it bother you killing so many people in Iraq?' I tell them, 'No.' … I loved what I did. … I'm not lying or exaggerating to say it was fun. I had the time of my life being a SEAL"

He enjoyed protecting his guys and killing the enemy. Like I said before, i'm not judging the man. I can accept the good and the bad and some of the complicated events that surrounded Chris Kyle. I would have loved having him providing overwatch when I was in Afghanistan. I'm just pointing out the differences between him in the movie and the book. He mentions in interviews the only thing that had him worried was the legal ramifications of shooting. Let me say it like this, many others and I came to the conclusion that this man was not bothered by killing and liked it when I finished the reading the book. People interpret what they read and hear differently. It doesn't take away from the fact that Chris Kyle is a hero to me.

Edited by jrfrank56