Billy Hicks responds to Jon Hood

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitaker is a great coach and harrison Co had a great run in the 90s.

But they a not a current powerhouse.

They won it all in 2010. They've won five region titles in the last ten years and three of those seasons saw them win at least one game at the state tournament. They may not be at the level they were when they won three state titles in six years, but even today when you talk about the big names in Kentucky baseball you don't go too far down the list before you get to Harrison County.

I have never understood why our countries freedoms don't extend to the schooling of our children. I get the need for boundaries, but if you care about sports enough to move to a new community so your child can play for that coach, so be it.

I'm of the opinion that KY sports would clean up a lot of we allowed kids to go where they want. At the end of the day shouldn't we believe the parents know best?

If a kid moves schools to be a part of an academic team or band that parent would be applauded.

Sports aren't the most important thing but they go hand in hand with academics. Most really good athletic programs (especially football) in this state seen to have good academics as well.

Well, prove it! Hire someone to look into it, as it obvious that there is nothing to be seen, if so people would RUN to the KHSAA with the info. They are not doing so for a reason, nothing there.

I could. But I won't.

I'm not saying it had to be mentioned, but when Billy Hicks was the coach at Evarts in 1979 they had to forfeit all ten wins due to using an ineligible player. Hicks resigned under pressure at the start of the 1980 season when it was revealed that the ineligible player the season before had actually played games for Evarts while enrolled at another school. So while he may not have recruited at Scott County his past transgressions at least make him suspect in the eyes of many.

Here is a link to the Daily News article about the situation:

Daily News - Google News Archive Search

Below is another link with clarification. Click on District 52 and scroll down to 1979 and 1980 for more information.

2. Basketball tournament scores, records and lists for districts, regions and state

Is that the best you can come up with? Something that happened 35 years ago? "Past transgressions make him a suspect" you've got to be kidding.... I bet 99% of the people that comment on Hicks doesn't know anything about what happened in 1979.

Hicks just has a good program that draws good players to Scott County. I don't think there would be a coach in the state that would run off any of the players that transferred into Scott Co. Since some people think that Hicks gets jobs at Toyota for the players parents; name the players parents that got these "so-called" jobs.

Is that the best you can come up with? Something that happened 35 years ago? "Past transgressions make him a suspect" you've got to be kidding.... I bet 99% of the people that comment on Hicks doesn't know anything about what happened in 1979.

Hicks just has a good program that draws good players to Scott County. I don't think there would be a coach in the state that would run off any of the players that transferred into Scott Co. Since some people think that Hicks gets jobs at Toyota for the players parents; name the players parents that got these "so-called" jobs.

I work in a factory and I am familiar with the hiring process at Toyota. I'd be really surprised if Billy Hicks could get people hired at Toyota.

I'm of the opinion that KY sports would clean up a lot of we allowed kids to go where they want. At the end of the day shouldn't we believe the parents know best?

If a kid moves schools to be a part of an academic team or band that parent would be applauded.

Sports aren't the most important thing but they go hand in hand with academics. Most really good athletic programs (especially football) in this state seen to have good academics as well.

This.

I don't have a problem with things because it seems like pushing them underground gives us the seedy underbelly of the AAU game and culture that we have now.

Put it out in the open and there are fewer problems.

I work in a factory and I am familiar with the hiring process at Toyota. I'd be really surprised if Billy Hicks could get people hired at Toyota.

Thank you.

You have to spend two years working through a temp service before Toyota will even consider you for regular employment.

Hicks to say he doesn't recruit and ayers from Georgia and Florida just happen to show up at his school to play basketball is about as believable as I'm going to win the lottery tonight... And I didn't even buy a lottery ticket.

Who came from Georgia or Florida?

They won it all in 2010. They've won five region titles in the last ten years and three of those seasons saw them win at least one game at the state tournament. They may not be at the level they were when they won three state titles in six years, but even today when you talk about the big names in Kentucky baseball you don't go too far down the list before you get to Harrison County.

Gosh, but they've dipped so badly since 2010 — only 100 wins, two trips to the region finals and one to state over those four seasons. Definitely a program in decline. :lol:

You may be right, but I don't think what happens (& has been happening) in Christian County is comparable to Scott County nor Cordia. Hopkinsville, Christian County and University Heights have been battling for players for three decades or so. And, at one time or another, each of the three has come out of it with the "best" player or players. The only one of the three to get in trouble with the KHSAA is UHA...more than once...but that was in the 1980's.

There certainly seems to be enough talent to go around. Between them, those schools have won the 2nd region the last 13 years in a row. Christian County 6, Hopkinsville 4, and University Heights 3.

I have no problem with kids in Christian County going to any 1 of those 3 schools. If the KHSAA does make it down to the "county" of the second region; I'm sure if there is any violations at 1 of those schools I'm sure they will attempt to take down the other 2. So I really don't see any of them turning in the other for something wrong.

I'm kind of laughing at Hood also. He attacks Hicks on twitter and then he makes the classy comeback when people attack him. Did he think he was not going to be attacked when he went after 'the famous Billy Hicks'? :lol2:

Come on, Jonny...you've been on twitter long enough to know the game.

What is funny ia thinking that coach Hicks even has a Twitter account. He has no clue about Twitter and he can laugh about it cause he doesn't get caught up in the social media craze our country is obesed with. And I think if I have thw ability to move my child somewhere that he can be successful then I could care less what Jon Hood or anyone else thinks. That should be and is my right as an American and a parent.

Of course most parents know best about their/our kids' abilities and opportunities, but many parents do not understand the nuts and bolts of school budgets -- the vast majority are zero-sum arrangements, or at least they have been since the 1970s. If an athletic program grows at a disproportionately high rate in size or speed (or even just in terms of success), it demands resources from the system in the form of larger or updated facilities as well as staff commitment. That often places athletics in competition with academics instead of alongside academics, and the academic side often loses. I realize that this is largely a public-school issue and does not apply to the private institutions, plus I am not a native Kentuckian so maybe that equation doesn't apply around here. But evidently it does elsewhere:

High school transfers turn neighborhood teams into outdated notion - LA Times