Hammer dropped on Cordia

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I'll still stand by that one.

Even without Cordia in the mix, the 14th still has it's fair share of transfers (and we can say the same for the State on the whole). Hazard had Chris Hudson last year, but that was probably motivated by his desire to play football (he's a TE at Miami of Ohio). Perry County Central gets 2 kids from Philadelphia last season, had Jaysean Paige come in from New York (who is just now at WVU), Justin Johnson comes with Spurlock, and now a kid or two from places like Buckhorn and Breathitt County. Knott County Central gets Justice, Simmons, 2 local kids that left during the Cordia influx, and more.

Cordia gets punished. Not saying they didn't deserve it if all of the accusations prove true. Just saying that it's the small school with no tradition that took the brunt of it (but that small school was also bringing in kids from all over as opposed to mainly local kids and fought the KHSAA in court more than once).

At the end of the day, I'll still tip my hat to Cordia. They don't have the talent in their system to be a real threat to win region. They played their hand, went all in and pushed their chips to the middle of the table, and had the rest of the region and state worried. Not easy to do. BTW, I'm not tipping my hat to the violations, just tipping my hat to their willingness to try and be bold.

If a kid and/or his parents got help with housing, got a plane ticket home, was provided with food and clothing, had the cost of attendance paid, and/or was provided housing, I don't really have a problem with. I won't speak to the other violations, but many of the things in the aforementioned list are the kinds of things that people are criticizing the NCAA for not doing enough of. Sorry, but if we're going to drop the hammer on programs for providing kids with things, that's a heavy ax to swing if we want to be technical.

Not saying that the KHSAA was unfair to Cordia, especially considering the court battles that the Highlands loophole exposed, just saying that I'd wonder how many other places in the State with top basketball programs who get kids in are guilty of things like "falsifying records, or maintaining inaccurate records with regards to living arrangements of transferring student-athletes" if we are going to be technical.

I'd imagine that any local kid at Cordia who could play at any of the other schools in the region has already left for those schools. Cordia goes back to being Cordia. Aside from the monetary fines, they haven't really lost much. They took the chance on giving their community something special and just pushed the limits of an already dirty game too far.

You keep saying "if true." The KHSAA has investigated and found the allegations to be true.

Maybe hollow isn't the right word. How's really late?

Maybe but this could have been a situation where the investigation of a broken rule or two turns into 14 broken rules that needed a thorough investigation. That takes time. I'd rather they take their time and get it right instead of rushing into it and botching the whole thing.

Maybe but this could have been a situation where the investigation of a broken rule or two turns into 14 broken rules that needed a thorough investigation. That takes time. I'd rather they take their time and get it right instead of rushing into it and botching the whole thing.

Perhaps, but you and I both know that this thing started a long time ago. Like Dawgs83 alluded to, this could have been changed way earlier than now. So, while the ruling is proper, there are district games, etc. that can't be replayed. Kids that will never see a competitive basketball floor again. There was a handful of people who denied wrongdoing, but really everyone with a clue knew what was going on. Henry Clay could have had a different outcome in that region had this door been closed. Just a lot of tentacles to the whole thing that affect more than just Cordia. That's my beef. Some of those rules were broken long ago and there could have been something different done way sooner IMO to take the circus tent down.

Not like everyone can do it? Only the privates and traditional powers can do it? Name names then. Who is doing it?

Paying for the cost of housing? Again, who is doing it? Name names on that one.

I've heard a lot of things. I refuse to bring up many of the things I hear and discuss privately in a public forum because I don't want to look stupid if it turns out to be false.

Paying for travel is asinine. And comparing what Cordia is said to have done is way different than a Christmas tournament in Ft. Lauderdale.

Look, you defended Cordia all year long and now you have egg on your face. Just man up and say they screwed up instead of trying to defend "the most blatant disregard of the rules in the 97 year history of the KHSAA." I defended Cordia as well but there is no defending this. This is asinine on so many levels.

This.

Joker, you have some great posts in many threads on this board. You are grasping at straws on this one. Cordia turned their nose up at the rules and now will pay the price.

Shots fired by Jon Hood:

Jon Hood @jonnylightning4

Follow

So if Cordia is getting in trouble for recruiting, when does Scott County and the famous Billy Hicks get sanctioned?

Follow

Only difference between them both, is that Cordia was reckless and didn't seem to care. Scott County was/is sneaky.

Shots fired by Jon Hood:

Follow

So if Cordia is getting in trouble for recruiting, when does Scott County and the famous Billy Hicks get sanctioned?

Follow

Only difference between them both, is that Cordia was reckless and didn't seem to care. Scott County was/is sneaky.

Classless.

Can someone please explain the organizational and financial structure of Cordia?

It’s called a “community school” and obviously has some degree of autonomy, yet there’s mention here of the Knott Co. Superintendent. How much control/responsibility lies with Knott County? Is Cordia just a Knott County public school? When I visited Cordia for a game a fan told me that Perry County provides school buses and teachers. Is that correct? To what degree is Cordia in charge of its own decisions?

Do state and federal dollars go to Cordia? Who’s in charge of their checkbook, and from where do the financial inputs come? Is it a private school, a public boarding school, what? Thanks in advance for any explanation.