Who are the strongest Football players in the state???

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to his dad...Meece Middle School 8th grader Peyton Hatcher set new state records today in the bench press(265 lb.),power clean(185 lb.)and total lifts(450 lb.). These lifts were good for 1st place in the state power lifting meet. These were in the middle school division. He also placed second in the high school division all in the 195 lb. Weight class

Everything I have read over the years tells you that kids in that age category should not be doing maximum effort lifting, most are still in their growth phase, growth plates could be damaged or compromised. Seems a little ridiculous to have 13 year old kids out their doing max effort. Just my opinion.

Everything I have read over the years tells you that kids in that age category should not be doing maximum effort lifting, most are still in their growth phase, growth plates could be damaged or compromised. Seems a little ridiculous to have 13 year old kids out their doing max effort. Just my opinion.

He's 14 or 15 but I get your point. But someone else set the records that he broke so lifting in middle school isn't exactly new. Maybe if there were no middle school competitions kids wouldn't be focused on maxing out.

My son is taller than any male in our family going back as many generations as we know. He has maxed a lot in his 17 years.

I was unable to find any studies that link maxing to harming growth plates or stunting growth. Some mention that lifting increases testosterone levels and therefore would be expected to close growth plates prematurely. However, these are only correlational. Most studies I have read found links between lifting and increased bone density. However, I was able to find no studies looking at maxing specifically.

Lifting at a young age is perfectly fine given that it is done properly. Ask all the countries stronger than us....Russia, China and many other European countries start training very young and they are far ahead of us in terms of strength.

Eons ago I lifted heavy starting in 5th grade. Today I am a mature ole 46 and not an ache (except knees occasionally lol) in my body. Started my son between 7th and 8th grade years lifting heavy. I think you just have to know your kid and teach him proper form.

Eons ago I lifted heavy starting in 5th grade. Today I am a mature ole 46 and not an ache (except knees occasionally lol) in my body. Started my son between 7th and 8th grade years lifting heavy. I think you just have to know your kid and teach him proper form.

I agree completely. I started my son lifting in 6th grade, I called it resistance training more then weight lifting because he was using low weight. Many told me he should be doing push-ups and pull-ups instead of lifting. The problem was, he was a very big kid in 6th grade (6'1" 240 lbs). He wasn't strong enough to perform proper push-ups and pull-ups, so I started him lifting low weight, using proper technique and worked him up to his weight. What's more important, lifting 50 pounds with proper technique, or performing push-ups with 240 pounds and using poor technique? Yea, that's what I thought too.

It worked, he's playing college football now.

I agree completely. I started my son lifting in 6th grade, I called it resistance training more then weight lifting because he was using low weight. Many told me he should be doing push-ups and pull-ups instead of lifting. The problem was, he was a very big kid in 6th grade (6'1" 240 lbs). He wasn't strong enough to perform proper push-ups and pull-ups, so I started him lifting low weight, using proper technique and worked him up to his weight. What's more important, lifting 50 pounds with proper technique, or performing push-ups with 240 pounds and using poor technique? Yea, that's what I thought too.

We could get in to a big conversation about this but that's not really what i am looking for. Going the route you chose worked and does well. In defense of the push-up though, there are many variations and regressions that can be used to become strong enough to do proper push-ups. Eccentrics, Isometric holds at various positions, incline, modified, etc.

Accumulating volume through light weight work is great and very effective but people often overlook the push-up because it is simply very challenging to do correctly.

I was gonna say the same thing. My son at one time was a chunky kid who could not do more than 3 push-ups. Wasn't getting the resistance other kids were getting. While doing a push-up he had (x) amount of weight working against him. Put him on a bench with 1/2 that force as he was getting.

I don't think numbers directly correlate with how strong a person is. If you're a lineman with a big chest and short arms, it's going to be a lot easier for him to bench higher numbers. Whats a big bench press if you can't do a pull up?

I don't think numbers directly correlate with how strong a person is. If you're a lineman with a big chest and short arms, it's going to be a lot easier for him to bench higher numbers. Whats a big bench press if you can't do a pull up?

This isn't CrossFit. Strength is how much you can pull down or up, not whether you can do a pull up.