Who are the strongest Football players in the state???

Dont know about individual's but according to a WYMT report during their live JC telecast (vs. Harlan County), Johnson Central has 16 kids that currently bench press 300lbs or more. Does anyone know of a team that has more as this is the record for JC. Coach Matney and his staff seem to be getting it done in the weight room and there is no doubt this is one of the reasons they have had major success on the field.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know about individual's but according to a WYMT report during their live JC telecast (vs. Harlan County), Johnson Central has 16 kids that currently bench press 300lbs or more. Does anyone know of a team that has more as this is the record for JC. Coach Matney and his staff seem to be getting it done in the weight room and there is no doubt this is one of the reasons they have had major success on the field.

This is the most impressive stat I have seen on this thread (16 players for one team benching over 300). Huge respect. This shows commitment to strength that starts early in the development of the individual player. I bet they monitor strength gains in a very methodical and public manner.

Dont know about individual's but according to a WYMT report during their live JC telecast (vs. Harlan County)' date=' Johnson Central has 16 kids that currently bench press 300lbs or more. Does anyone know of a team that has more as this is the record for JC. Coach Matney and his staff seem to be getting it done in the weight room and there is no doubt this is one of the reasons they have had major success on the field.[/quote']

This is what I would love to see at most football programs. If they have weight coaches it would be a lot better for these boys. What a huge WOW!!!

Very impressive stat!!!!!!

This is the most impressive stat I have seen on this thread (16 players for one team benching over 300). Huge respect. This shows commitment to strength that starts early in the development of the individual player. I bet they monitor strength gains in a very methodical and public manner.

JC has a nice little program set up to monitor and evaluate. They have really gotten after it by evaluating each player based off their position when they first arrive and set goals for them to attain each year. Where certain areas are lagging, each player will perform a variety of auxiliary exercises to increase those weaknesses. By the time they are ready for varsity they should be where we need them to be to prevent any type of fall due to graduation. One of the main things that needed to be done was to get a lot of support from the administration and provide a place, aesthetically with paint, sound system, flags and other signage, that would get the kids excited to come in to do work.

Offseason conditioning needed to feel like a team as well and many that aren't playing other sports are rewarded with shirts, meals, or other miniscule things to reinforce that their hard work is not going unnoticed. Record boards were purchased finally and are filled out after each max week to keep the competitive juices flowing. No one wants to be the low man on the totem pole, especially if you are an upperclassman getting bypassed by a freshman.

One thing that I really like is how we try to build chemistry with the older guys that have been around and the newbies. We try to put 2 younger guys in groups with older guys, even though it may take a little more time than normal due to loading and unloading the bar. If they can see that everyone is pulling for one another, it eliminates cliques and starts to develop a cohesiveness.

We do a lot of circuit training as well. The players come in, the place is set up and labeled with what exercises are to be done at each spot, given a set amount of time to get their reps and take off. This prevents a lot of wasted time by people waiting for a station to open up and keeps them focused on the task at hand and not on daily gab. Workouts typically last an hour maybe a little more if you count stretching at the end. Occasionally we will mix up the location by having lifts outside when the weather permits just to switch it up a little from the monotony.

All in all it is much better now than where it has been in the past and we can really see a difference in our overall level of play.

When I hear that JC has 16 players over 300, it is obvious that they engage in a public monitoring system, like a record board. If coaches monitor anything, kids will focus on it. Fail to monitor the behavior and the message is that the behavior is not important. Simply letting players go in a weight room and work out will get random results. Methodical monitoring will get beneficial results. I see programs spending a lot of hours in the weight room with no methodical plan to gain strength. That can result in a lot of wasted time. Does JC have a lifting club?

When I hear that JC has 16 players over 300, it is obvious that they engage in a public monitoring system, like a record board. If coaches monitor anything, kids will focus on it. Fail to monitor the behavior and the message is that the behavior is not important. Simply letting players go in a weight room and work out will get random results. Methodical monitoring will get beneficial results. I see programs spending a lot of hours in the weight room with no methodical plan to gain strength. That can result in a lot of wasted time. Does JC have a lifting club?

No lifting club that I know of, but Coach Matney is also the wrestling coach. Let me explain. Since a very high percentage of the football team also wrestles, Coach Matney and his strength team get even more time with these kids to build muscle. After wrestling, the kids do use boards and records as a way to compete and build muscle in the offseason. Strength coaches are available 24/7 seeing as all of them also lift and are very big themselves. Matney has multiple strength coaches (kids really look up to them) and JC even offers a class called "strength and weight training" as an elective PE course taught across two semesters (Usually underclassmen take this course as it not only builds muscle during the day, it educates students about nutrition, technique, biochemistry, etc.).

Matney takes strength very serious and his football team is lifting pretty much year around. With wrestling season, spring lifting and OTA's (minus dead period of course - but I would bet they lift on their own then), courses at JC, and availability of multiple strength coaches, Matney has created a culture of strength that just keeps building on its self. In fact, I have actually heard many of the players talk about how they lose bench press and muscle mass during the football season, but get it back and then some every Spring. Football season is probably the only time during the year they are not getting bigger (but they do still lift, just not as hard).

These kids come from a great Middle School program and by the time they are Seniors are absolute monsters (at least from the eye test). Matney also has a very good record in wrestling (having more the 20 state champions in his career), thus further demonstrating his mastery of strength training.

I hope this answers your question.

JC has a nice little program set up to monitor and evaluate. They have really gotten after it by evaluating each player based off their position when they first arrive and set goals for them to attain each year. Where certain areas are lagging, each player will perform a variety of auxiliary exercises to increase those weaknesses. By the time they are ready for varsity they should be where we need them to be to prevent any type of fall due to graduation. One of the main things that needed to be done was to get a lot of support from the administration and provide a place, aesthetically with paint, sound system, flags and other signage, that would get the kids excited to come in to do work.

Offseason conditioning needed to feel like a team as well and many that aren't playing other sports are rewarded with shirts, meals, or other miniscule things to reinforce that their hard work is not going unnoticed. Record boards were purchased finally and are filled out after each max week to keep the competitive juices flowing. No one wants to be the low man on the totem pole, especially if you are an upperclassman getting bypassed by a freshman.

One thing that I really like is how we try to build chemistry with the older guys that have been around and the newbies. We try to put 2 younger guys in groups with older guys, even though it may take a little more time than normal due to loading and unloading the bar. If they can see that everyone is pulling for one another, it eliminates cliques and starts to develop a cohesiveness.

We do a lot of circuit training as well. The players come in, the place is set up and labeled with what exercises are to be done at each spot, given a set amount of time to get their reps and take off. This prevents a lot of wasted time by people waiting for a station to open up and keeps them focused on the task at hand and not on daily gab. Workouts typically last an hour maybe a little more if you count stretching at the end. Occasionally we will mix up the location by having lifts outside when the weather permits just to switch it up a little from the monotony.

All in all it is much better now than where it has been in the past and we can really see a difference in our overall level of play.

Very well said. Great insight! There is no doubt this is a determining factor for the success JC has seen in the Matney era.

Group3.jpg

The attached picture shows a little about what I discussed in my earlier post. I'm sure the Highlands and CovCath players can see a noticeable difference compared to the last time they visited. The weight room used to be a solid canary yellow color which was recently painted in a fashion that represents the stripe on their helmet. Record boards are displayed behind the GHRs, leg presses and curl/ext portion of the facility. This is one of groups from the offseason. We usually have anywhere from 8-10 groups working at one time, depending on what we are trying to accomplish in a particular day we may have two lifting sessions. This group has a fairly nice mix between upper and lowerclassmen that we strive to achieve for basic bonding purposes. Pictured with one of the SCs are two seniors (Ratliff and Workman), an incoming freshman, along with juniors Frisby and Gunner Slone.

Olmstead is well over 300 lbs he should be very strong indeed ,I assume he benches well over 400 .what are his other lifts Squat Deadlift and so on.

That's a good squat for a kid .

And CC has a player around 400 who should surpass it by years end with a Deadlift over 600 and a squat who knows where I would guess around low 5s with a few weeks work .

There used to be NKY HS powerlifting Championships in the 80s and 90s ,surprised they have disappeared I remember Ludlow Campbell County and even small schools like Bellevue had some great lifters back then Dixie had some very powerful kids as well ,a great way to raise money for schools and teams as well with lifters getting sponsers who donate change per lb lifted ,some nice awards /medals for kids and teams and more goals for young athletes would be great for the sport as well as seeing who is really doing what in the weight room .

Was beechwood never involved in that? that would surprise considering all the time kids always say when they play beechwood, they are always taken back by how, no matter the size, the kids are some of the strongest they face all year in football. Especially with all the athletes bw had in the late 80s-90s

That is impressive if true. Only problem is, is it true? I have seen articles and such in the past like one about Ryle's OL a couple years back when they were relatively impressive, such as their 40yard dash times and other things were exaggerated. Hard to know for sure unless you here it from the team themselves.