Gas Prices

Jack of all Trades

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.. Only only defense is fuel economy.

Is there anything regulatory wise preventing an oil company in Canada from selling their product in the US?

I ask because if there is nothing preventing Canadian companies from entering the US market and they chose not to would tell me that oil companies are charging competitive rates and all the rants about fleecing the country is ignorance. If regulations are keeping foreign competitors out of the US, that could leave the possibility open to charging unfair rates and we need to challenge those regulations.

Is there anything regulatory wise preventing an oil company in Canada from selling their product in the US?

I ask because if there is nothing preventing Canadian companies from entering the US market and they chose not to would tell me that oil companies are charging competitive rates and all the rants about fleecing the country is ignorance. If regulations are keeping foreign competitors out of the US, that could leave the possibility open to charging unfair rates and we need to challenge those regulations.

Everything I read suggests the opposite. U.S. domestic suppliers are trying to get out (where prices are higher) and regulations prevent them from leaving.

When you see gas prices change twice or more in a day at the same station you know they have figured out the pattern to maximize profit.

I think so too. Geopolitical and macroeconomic concerns can suggest ranges of prices that go up and down over time, but individual companies and even franchisees have discovered the methods for maximizing profits with five and ten cent tweaks here and there that are more difficult to explain on a macro level.

I think so too. Geopolitical and macroeconomic concerns can suggest ranges of prices that go up and down over time, but individual companies and even franchisees have discovered the methods for maximizing profits with five and ten cent tweaks here and there that are more difficult to explain on a macro level.

The Shell on US68 at the Fayette/Jessamine line has this down to an art. The BP across the street does not do the same thing on a daily basis but only does the weekend/holiday game. We consider it a game and know to just wait for downswing - or better yet wait to go to Sam's or use Kroger points at Kroger station on US27.

Not sure if there is a law against pure manipulative pricing but it has been this way for a couple years.

Is there anything regulatory wise preventing an oil company in Canada from selling their product in the US? I ask because if there is nothing preventing Canadian companies from entering the US market and they chose not to would tell me that oil companies are charging competitive rates and all the rants about fleecing the country is ignorance. If regulations are keeping foreign competitors out of the US' date=' that could leave the possibility open to charging unfair rates and we need to challenge those regulations.[/quote']

It's all a global market now. We could get 10 million barrels a day from Canada and OPEC would cut back supply to keep prices high. Your car is your only defense.

I agree 100%.

It's called greed. I've commented on this 100s of times. Absolutely has nothing to do with supply and demand. If you could get almost 4 dollars from something why let it go for 2? Oil is also down 3 dollars but gas went up .40 cents makes perfect sense.