NKY Middle School Basketball 2013/2014

stinkyboy II

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NKMS regular season schedule is play everyone once (4 districts of 5 teams =19 regularly scheduled games.). District tourney is 2or3 games and Regionals is 3 games (maximum if you advance in both is 6 games. Total NKMS = 25

Throw in a tourney at Christmas is 3 to 5... Weather is minus 2-3 puts you in the 20-27 range for most.

Catholic schools......... Whole 'nuther ball game folks!

I have not heard of any concern about how many games are played with in the league. This years numbers are off but I would guess that in typical years that most NKMSL teams play 20 to 25 games depending on how they do come tourney time. If a team decides to play in some extra tournaments or extra games outside of league play then that is on them...not the NKMSL. Also, the Catholic school teams play in the Catholic school leagues that are played at St. Henry, Cov Cath, NDA etc. That adds 10 to 12 games to their schedules. IMO the number of games is not a concern.

I can tell you that the teams that play in both the NKMSL and the Catholic school league can ending up playing 55+ games when you add in the tournaments as well.

I have not heard of any concern about how many games are played with in the league. This years numbers are off but I would guess that in typical years that most NKMSL teams play 20 to 25 games depending on how they do come tourney time. If a team decides to play in some extra tournaments or extra games outside of league play then that is on them...not the NKMSL. Also, the Catholic school teams play in the Catholic school leagues that are played at St. Henry, Cov Cath, NDA etc. That adds 10 to 12 games to their schedules. IMO the number of games is not a concern.

The problem is most do play a couple of tournaments (again though on the team, not the NKMSAA), and the 25 or so scheduled games take place over the course of about 8 weeks, meaning they play on average 3 games a week. Many don't practice on Friday, so they don't get much practice practice time, at most around 3 hours a week.

^ In most cases, even if they did not play in all the tournaments and had fewer games, they would not get the gym time to practice. See below.

Also--I'm pretty sure it's only St Pius and IHM that are playing 50+ games. They are the only Catholic schools in the NKMSL

Another thing I will mention is that they get maybe one day a week to practice, if that, because the gym is always occupied. The gym schedule has to accommodate approx. 30 basketball teams, girls and boys, 3rd - 8th grade, rec and select. So playing lots of games is a way to get court time and practice.

^ In most cases, even if they did not play in all the tournaments and had fewer games, they would not get the gym time to practice. See below.

Also--I'm pretty sure it's only St Pius and IHM that are playing 50+ games. They are the only Catholic schools in the NKMSL

IHM's 7th grade boys will not break 40 games by the time their season is over. A season that lasts about 12 to 14 weeks.

Not only do I agree that it is not a problem, I would add that there are more than a few kids that continue to play in weekend leagues at Nothin but Net and Sports of all Sorts.. throw in a tournament or two, and some of those kids will play 50-60 games between November and March.. and then AAU season starts. Its a choice that they make ... and I don't see a lot of parents who are (overtly, at least) looking at this as a way to get their kids' college paid for. Most often, they are kids that love to play.... and I see nothing wrong with that...

Why is Grant Co Even in the same Region? Same with Sharp.

Preaching to the choir here my friend. There is nothing worse for any middle school team than to have to play a game at Sharp. Playing 7 on 5 the entire game and if close in the fourth you can count on a loss for sure. Cannot believe that the middle schools of NKY continue to allow this to occur without either returning the favor for all of the their teams when they come to your place or simply refuse to play them.

Preaching to the choir here my friend. There is nothing worse for any middle school team than to have to play a game at Sharp. Playing 7 on 5 the entire game and if close in the fourth you can count on a loss for sure. Cannot believe that the middle schools of NKY continue to allow this to occur without either returning the favor for all of the their teams when they come to your place or simply refuse to play them.

Because that's the only way a team from Sharp could beat a NKY team, right? Have to have help from the refs? Those statements take away from those kids who work just as hard as the other kids in the conference.

Because that's the only way a team from Sharp could beat a NKY team, right? Have to have help from the refs? Those statements take away from those kids who work just as hard as the other kids in the conference.

I agree, it is silly to say the refs are that one sided at Sharpe.

However, logistically it is very tough for Boone County based teams to get to Sharpe for the start of the 5th grade weeknight games. And it makes for a very late night returning home after the 8th grade games.