NKY Middle School Basketball 2013/2014

stinkyboy II

Because that's the only way a team from Sharp could beat a NKY team, right? Have to have help from the refs? Those statements take away from those kids who work just as hard as the other kids in the conference.

Truth hurts doesn't it? I heard there was a game down there this weekend where Sharp shot 45 free throws to their opponents 15. That my friend is a "homer" job and this nonsense has been going on for many many years. Needs to come to an end or maybe when they go to NKY gyms, the first time their coach opens his mouth or stands up a "T" is given and if a player so much as looks at an official funny a "T" is issued. Sound familiar. Hard to say if Sharp can compete or not because the officiating is so bad.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it is silly to say the refs are that one sided at Sharpe.

However, logistically it is very tough for Boone County based teams to get to Sharpe for the start of the 5th grade weeknight games. And it makes for a very late night returning home after the 8th grade games.

Really? You been to many games at Sharp? These calls only effect the games that are close at the end. Witnessed this nonsense for several years and it needs to end.

Logistically speaking I agree 100%! It is a long haul. Pendleton would have that no matter who they played. But when all the others are so close it makes it tough to go to PC and Grant.

To just say "rah rah, these people can't get good refs!!" is intellectually lazy though. Sometimes Sharp has good teams, the 8th grade team this year is pretty good, other times they are bad. Just don't do the lazy ref bit.

Truth hurts doesn't it? I heard there was a game down there this weekend where Sharp shot 45 free throws to their opponents 15. That my friend is a "homer" job and this nonsense has been going on for many many years. Needs to come to an end or maybe when they go to NKY gyms, the first time their coach opens his mouth or stands up a "T" is given and if a player so much as looks at an official funny a "T" is issued. Sound familiar. Hard to say if Sharp can compete or not because the officiating is so bad.

Sir, this will be my last post on this because I know there will be no changing your mind. You certainly have the right to your opinion. The only thing I'm saying is the Sharp kids work just as hard as the others and to say all their success is due to officiating is a bit lazy. When they have good teams they win there and when they have bad teams they lose. I believe they lost more than they won there this year, I'm not sure. But again you can continue on and you're entitled to that opinion.

I was at the game on Saturday. One of the worst officiated games I've ever been to on both sides of the ball. The "T" given to #15 early on was warranted. I'm not saying the initial call was correct, but the kids response had to be addressed. I'm not sure he got any of the block/charge calls correct all day. As far as the FT gap, I don't think it was 45-15 as far as attempts are concerned. Sharp sat back in zone the entire game, which diminishes fouls, plus Highlands had to foul the last few minutes of OT to try and get back in the game.

You suggesting that the refs had to cheat for Sharp,to win is laughable at best. Not only are you taking away from The effort Sharp put forth to win a tough district tournament, your taking away from the effort Highlands gave in a battle between TWO good teams. I wish them both the best of luck moving forward.

Simply stating what I have witnessed personally over several years at Sharp. Not diminishing the efforts/abilities of any kid at Sharp, but to say that the officiating has not had an impact on games over the years is laughable. Am I correct that the game on Saturday, the opponent had a 5 point lead or so late in the game and then the mysterious whistles started which allowed the game to go into overtime where the home team eventually won? Enough said on the topic as someone said I will have my opinions and you will have yours.

I might have a unique perspective on the Pendleton County issue. I have been a coach of a team that has gone in there and I have officiated high school basketball.

From the games I've seen at the middle school level they're often officiated by gentlemen who are not in an officials association. Therefore, they're not getting training. They're not going to camps. They're not being evaluated in games. So I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

With that said I always felt that PC had the worst officials in the leagues I coached in. The problem is that this perception, as LC points out, takes away from the efforts and the successes of the Sharp boys and girls. That's unfortunate. I know in one game where I was really unhappy with the officiating at Sharp I was clear with the Sharp coach afterwards that his team had played better than us that night and my complaining TO the officials during the game didn't lessen my appreciation for his boys' efforts.

Really? You been to many games at Sharp? These calls only effect the games that are close at the end. Witnessed this nonsense for several years and it needs to end.

Saw a girls team hold the ball the entire second half. They were down something like 10 points. The officials out there are infamous...

I might have a unique perspective on the Pendleton County issue. I have been a coach of a team that has gone in there and I have officiated high school basketball.

From the games I've seen at the middle school level they're often officiated by gentlemen who are not in an officials association. Therefore, they're not getting training. They're not going to camps. They're not being evaluated in games. So I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

With that said I always felt that PC had the worst officials in the leagues I coached in. The problem is that this perception, as LC points out, takes away from the efforts and the successes of the Sharp boys and girls. That's unfortunate. I know in one game where I was really unhappy with the officiating at Sharp I was clear with the Sharp coach afterwards that his team had played better than us that night and my complaining TO the officials during the game didn't lessen my appreciation for his boys' efforts.

I know one was a janitor.

I have had my fair share of trips to Falmouth for Middle School Games and I have seen some crazy calls down there as well as coaches being tossed for ridiculous stuff. I think if you did a poll of parents of NKY kids who have had kids play games at Sharp you would find a common denominator when it comes to the referees.

With that said, I know a lot of good people from PC and they have great kids who love their hoops. The kids and their efforts should have nothing to do with the referee issue. Sharp 8th grade must have a nice team to beat CC and Highlands like they did to win the District. Best of luck to both Highlands and Sharp in the Regionals.

Simply stating what I have witnessed personally over several years at Sharp. Not diminishing the efforts/abilities of any kid at Sharp, but to say that the officiating has not had an impact on games over the years is laughable. Am I correct that the game on Saturday, the opponent had a 5 point lead or so late in the game and then the mysterious whistles started which allowed the game to go into overtime where the home team eventually won? Enough said on the topic as someone said I will have my opinions and you will have yours.

It was a 6 point lead. Sharp turned up the pressure some and caused TOs. When Highlands scored and got in their press, Sharp beat it pretty easily. I'm not gonna say every call was right. In fact, many were not.

Does anyone know when the brackets with teams/dates/time will be released?

Evidently there are brackets drawn, but without results filled in yet (at least that was implied in some notices from the Highlands Middle School staff) but I haven't seen them... I think I could probably fill them in from the results that have been posted on here... but I will reiterate that it is silly to handle it like this in this day and age .... the secretive nature of this information bothers me....