Heroin - NKY

Horace

^ Agreed. I was there praying and decided to talk to him, out of the many priests and deacons there that night. I talked, he listened, then just told me that he was involved in rehab, we talked a while longer, and then he said pray your rear end off.
If I'm hearing you correctly, what the deacon meant was that he was involved as a practitioner in rehabilitation and not that he himself was in rehab. Right?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm hearing you correctly, what the deacon meant was that he was involved as a practitioner in rehabilitation and not that he himself was in rehab. Right?

That's how I understood it when I read it the first time.

I am hearing the majority of the Heroin is coming into our country via the US Military coming back from Afghanastan. They do not go through the rigorous checks and its very similar to Vietnam and the drugs that came back in the late 60's and 70's.

I am hearing the majority of the Heroin is coming into our country via the US Military coming back from Afghanastan. They do not go through the rigorous checks and its very similar to Vietnam and the drugs that came back in the late 60's and 70's.

It's way more than just that — it has to do with our government funneling $$$ to the warlords over there. Warlords who derive the lion's share of their income in the poppy trade.

In other words, our federal government's policies have led to the spike in heroin addiction in this country.

Even so, if he's working in his capacity as a rehab counselor (i.e., not in rehab himself) he's bound by the same law. Policy behind the law is that they want people seeking treatment/therapy to be open with their counselors and know there's recourse against them for talking to people that are not authorized. If he's working in a licensed facility or something like that, it's definitely a dicey situation.

In Texas at least, it's my understanding that anything you say in a voluntary rehabilitation type session is for that type of counseling is privileged and can't be entered into evidence. I would imagine most states have a similar law (but haven't looked it up). That type of thing usually tends to fall under some of the doctor/patient confidentiality type umbrella.

If he's just a guy going to confession at a church type thing, there's the clergy privilege, but it's kind of different.

Edited by JokersWild24

Even so, if he's working in his capacity as a rehab counselor (i.e., not in rehab himself) he's bound by the same law. Policy behind the law is that they want people seeking treatment/therapy to be open with their counselors. If he's working in a licensed facility or something like that, definitely a violation of Federal law.

I don't see it that way at all. Sportsguy stops into the Cathedral and sees the Deacon. Sportsguy expresses that he is concerned about a friend that he fears is involved with drugs and he is praying for his friend.

Deacon explains that he understands Sportsguy's concern. Deacon says that he is familiar with the problem as he ministers to people in rehab. Deacon understands the difficulty and challenges and therefore tells Sportsguy to "pray his rear off" for his friend.

If no names were exchanged by either party, where is the violation of Federal Law? I just don't see it.

By the way Sportsguy, I'm also lifting your friend up in prayer tonight.

I don't see it that way at all. Sportsguy stops into the Cathedral and sees the Deacon. Sportsguy expresses that he is concerned about a friend that he fears is involved with drugs and he is praying for his friend.

Deacon explains that he understands Sportsguy's concern. Deacon says that he is familiar with the problem as he ministers to people in rehab. Deacon understands the difficulty and challenges and therefore tells Sportsguy to "pray his rear off" for his friend.

If no names were exchanged by either party, where is the violation of Federal Law? I just don't see it.

By the way Sportsguy, I'm also lifting your friend up in prayer tonight.

I took it as if the deacon had acknowledged he was treating the person when asked/told Sportsguy to worry about a particular person. Maybe I misread. If he was just saying it more of, I don't know your friend specifically, but work with people who have those types of problem, then yes, that's very different.

I probably just took the "I don't think it was an accident we met" in a different way than it was meant.

Even so, if he's working in his capacity as a rehab counselor (i.e., not in rehab himself) he's bound by the same law. Policy behind the law is that they want people seeking treatment/therapy to be open with their counselors and know there's recourse against them for talking to people that are not authorized. If he's working in a licensed facility or something like that, it's definitely a dicey situation.

In Texas at least, it's my understanding that anything you say in a voluntary rehabilitation type session is for that type of counseling is privileged and can't be entered into evidence. I would imagine most states have a similar law (but haven't looked it up). That type of thing usually tends to fall under some of the doctor/patient confidentiality type umbrella.

If he's just a guy going to confession at a church type thing, there's the clergy privilege, but it's kind of different.

I understand the HIPAA laws and the applicable ethics codes. Ironically, I'm in the process of studying Counseling ethics as we speak. HIPAA covers confidentiality of patient data, but only applies to those entities which fall within the scope of its coverage. And that subject is a book in itself!

While there is no law per se, (other than HIPAA) that covers confidentiality of counseling sessions, there are most certainly strictly enforced ethics codes that cover confidentiality. You can lose your license or even be sued for a violation of a client's trust. As you said, that trust is absolutely vital to the therapeutic process.

Confidentiality can only be violated in a few situations, which must be carefully assessed and considered:

- If the client makes it clear that they intend to hurt themselves or someone else

- If they reveal child abuse, elder abuse or the abuse of a dependent adult

- If the client takes legal action against the counselor

Now when we talk about "privileged information" or therapist/client privilege, we're talking about the protection given to client records from exposure in a Federal court case. It only applies to Federal cases and state laws vary in how they approach the subject. This protection is afforded to all clients, whether they are voluntary or not.

But I think you may be confused about the conversation that Sportsguy had with the deacon. The deacon didn't give him any information whatsoever. He simply suggested that Sportsguy pray for the friend that he told the deacon about. SPortsguy is not subject to the HIPAA law or any professional ethics codes.

I understand the HIPAA laws and the applicable ethics codes. Ironically, I'm in the process of studying Counseling ethics as we speak. HIPAA covers confidentiality of patient data, but only applies to those entities which fall within the scope of its coverage. And that subject is a book in itself!

While there is no law per se, (other than HIPAA) that covers confidentiality of counseling sessions, there are most certainly strictly enforced ethics codes that cover confidentiality. You can lose your license or even be sued for a violation of a client's trust. As you said, that trust is absolutely vital to the therapeutic process.

Confidentiality can only be violated in a few situations, which must be carefully assessed and considered:

- If the client makes it clear that they intend to hurt themselves or someone else

- If they reveal child abuse, elder abuse or the abuse of a dependent adult

- If the client takes legal action against the counselor

Now when we talk about "privileged information" or therapist/client privilege, we're talking about the protection given to client records from exposure in a Federal court case. It only applies to Federal cases and state laws vary in how they approach the subject. This protection is afforded to all clients, whether they are voluntary or not.

But I think you may be confused about the conversation that Sportsguy had with the deacon. The deacon didn't give him any information whatsoever. He simply suggested that Sportsguy pray for the friend that he told the deacon about. SPortsguy is not subject to the HIPAA law or any professional ethics codes.

Yea... I get it, they teach us that stuff in law school ;) . That is more or less what I was getting at.

I took the "I don't think it was an accident that we met" to mean that they were knowingly talking about the same person, even if it was a hint, hint, wink, wink type deal.

My brother in law was arrested after a traffic stop and arrested for a spoon and residue. He's always been an honest kid but he denied it stating it wasn't his, I want to believe him but I can't. When he got bailed out he landed at my house and he didn't act like those I've seen fixing on TV but who knows.

My brother in law was arrested after a traffic stop and arrested for a spoon and residue. He's always been an honest kid but he denied it stating it wasn't his, I want to believe him but I can't. When he got bailed out he landed at my house and he didn't act like those I've seen fixing on TV but who knows.

Softening of veins, "flu-like" symptoms, pinpoint pupils, itching, skin crawling. Those are some dead giveaways.

So if it is not his, he is hanging with someone who is. Not goods news for your sister or sister in law.