Heroin - NKY

Horace

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to the Campbell County Coroner a couple weeks ago while at a basketball tournament for our kids and he told me that there were over 450 heroin related overdoses in Campbell County last year alone. A majority of them get to the hospital and can be saved but there were a ton of deaths that he had to confirm last year from this drug. He said its completely out of control and many young people are suffering from it.

A young man my son knew since grade school just passed away 2-3 weeks ago from this. My son quit hanging around him before high school when he started on weed. He was in his second year of college. I guess he got hooked on heroin and fought it for a couple years in and out of rehab. He got out of rehab and then overdosed. At the funeral they had pictures of him and my son together at a birthday party when they were in 3rd or 4th grade. Very sad. I'm fortunate my children have listened to us and broke off ties with kids that went down the wrong path. It could happen to any kid from any background.

We were talking a little about this earlier in the year in my pain management course in pharmacy school and our teacher even mentioned there is a bit of an "epidemic" going on in NKY when it comes to Heroin right now. I've never really paid much attention to it myself when I was in high school and never saw too much of it so it was news to my ears.

It is WAY more prevalent than most think. Too many guys that I grew up with are so wrapped up in it. It's sad when you see people throw their lives away, and it makes it even more shocking when the guys grew up similar to me. Guys given every opportunity to succeed in life; good schools, good parents, and people who care about them all over. Heroine addiction is about as bad as it gets. One of my best friends robbed his sisters piggy bank, stole his mothers priceless jewelry, stole his brothers identity to get access to his bank account, sold his little brothers gaming systems to pawn shops and much more. It's insane because before he was into heroine he was one of the best people you'll ever meet. It took two years, but luckily he got into a rehabilitation program and is now himself again.

This was a big issue 15 years ago when I was in school, nothing has changed..............

15 years ago I had never heard of it being such an issue.

It is a HUGE, HUGE issue in Greater Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky. HUGE.

From what I understand, there are people that are dying before they can remove the needle from their arm. The manufacturers (for lack of a better term) have cut costs and are no longer producing a "pure" form of the drug. The less pure forms are resulting in more deaths. It's a bad, bad situation and anyone who doesn't recognize that it's an epidemic is naive.

There was a huge expose about this in the Enquirer. Newport Kroger's parking lot has to be patrolled big time, b/c guys buy in Cincy and cross over and stop there to do their thing. I haven't heard about that being the place where sales take place.

It was a problem at Campbell County High School when I was in high school back in the late 90s

It's a problem at all high schools and colleges in this area. Cincinnati is centrally located to ship this garbage north and north east. It's flown in to the airport, it's driven from Texas to here. Kids experiment with it once and they are addicted to it, their body craves it. Many get it from Cincinnati and bring it across the river. They have the needle in their arm before they cross the bridge and sometimes with their kids in the back seat. Really sad. Know where your kids are, who they are with and protect them. They'll thank you for it later!!