Kentucky 76 Vanderbilt 57

16thBBall Fan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Skal is doing better but he is still a finesse guy and hasn't developed enough especially defensively to be a factor in every game. Vandy's big guys were a bad match up for him. Willis and Lee had the same issue in the past but they have more experience and are becoming guys that can be counted on. Even when they don't get tons of blocks or points they play hard, play better defense, rebound.

I said this in the update thread but not a bad two games for a team that many were trying to say are a bad team. This team is nothing like the 2013 either like someone suggested.

This team has two great guards in Ullis and Murray who can lead them come tournament time. Now this team is starting to figure out the way they need to play to be successful. Now it's time for the fans to adjust and realize the way they need to play this year to be successful is different than past coach Cal teams but it doesn't mean it's a bad team. This team will still take some bumps along the way and that could come next Saturday. However come tournament time on neutral site this is going to be a very dangerous team.

Tyler Ulis is special! Jamal Murray is too. Sometimes. Willis was better defensively than offensively. Impossible! Great team defensive effort. Made a decent Vandy team look lost . Very disciplined in offensive sets. Easily the best all around game this season. Nice job Cal!

Another excellent game, U.K. got out on D on the 3 pt. shooters and stayed on them. I'll say it again ... Ty Ulis is The Best point guard in America ! A. Poythress stepped up big time like most had expected him to do all season. Murray's scoring is needed but he imo still shoots too much, if the shot isn't there - pass the stinkin' ball. I could go o about how all performed today bc I think that all played well, contributed positively. Defense and Ulis running / leading this team was the key. I believe that this was possibly the best defensive effort of the season .. lock down defense from the opening tip to the final buzzer. --- Have I mentioned that the Cats defense was very good today ?:clap:

As for the "where was Skal "... I was wondering the same. I thought that he did show improvement / good effort vs. Arkansas and would play more today. I am not ranting or ticked off about it, was just wondering. Cal may have found the rotations / combos he wants.

Again ... I wanted to make sure that I mentioned defense :thumb: ! Defense imo was key today.

I haven't gotten to watch UK much this year, but was thrilled this was one of the games I've seen. Awesome and fun game to watch.

Skal sure wasn't missed today. UK needs to get him out there some to improve, but Arkansas aside, he just hasn't been great. I really hope he doesn't try to leave after this year, he needs more time in college whether an NBA team will take him or not.

I think getting Willis in the lineup has made all the difference for them. Although at times his defense can be a little shaky his offensive ability as a spot up shooter is forcing teams to not pack the driving lanes. He's a stretch forward and defenses have to be aware of him. That is opening up driving lanes and more opportunities for other players. He's also been very active on the boards with his 6'9 height and is pulling down his share of rebounds.

He simply gives them another shooter. He did go through a stretch today where he missed 3 straight open 3s, but he had the confidence to take them and Cal has the confidence to give him the green light. There's not going to be many times he misses 3 straight open looks. I like him in the lineup.

Skal kinda reminds me of a young WCS. It took WCS a while to get it together no? And even when he did, he really wasn't a prototypical "back to basket" post up type of guy. So maybe Skal will blossom into something special. I hope so.

I think about my son, who is in his second semester of college. He's a great kid, like his ole man, but he still makes mistakes of youth. If he had to manage playing in the fishbowl of UK, on top of being away from home and in college and girls.....so I am rooting for the kid.