Miami in Big Trouble?

Hangman

I go back and forth on Whitlock but I think he nailed this one.

There’s a Nevin Shapiro knockoff on every campus. He might not own a yacht or have easy access to hookers, but he supplies in abundance whatever decadence Iowa City has to offer.

The people shocked and surprised by the Yahoo! Sports story have never visited South Beach or stepped inside a Miami gentlemen’s club. Tricking (and treating) is part of Miami culture, perhaps even more so than Las Vegas. The allegation that Shapiro provided the players with prostitutes sounds absolutely scandalous unless you’ve socialized extensively in Miami. In all likelihood, Shapiro mostly threw parties and invited girls who work at the plethora of strip clubs. In other words, he invited the same local girls who frequent the plethora of “legit” nightclubs in South Beach. Maybe cash exchanged hands, but it is not difficult to find attractive, loose women in Miami willing to hook up with potential pro athletes.

I’m not justifying what Shapiro did. I’m trying to put it in context.

The football and basketball players at The U wanted and received access to the same parties, activities and material possessions their private-school classmates took for granted.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Jurich regarding Clint Hurtt?

I'm really torn on this one. On the one hand, I feel that it's important to react to even the appearance of impropriety and UofL should do something. On the other, I don't know if there's any evidence he's done anything necessitating punishment while employed by UofL. I hate to say it, but it might be that a suspension pending investigation is in order here.

What about Jurich regarding Clint Hurtt?

I bet that Jurich and Strong have sat Coach Hurt down and told him to come clean. If coaches haven't learned anything they better have learned what happen to the vest. Come clean and beg for forgiveness.

It is easier to say you are stupid of the rules rather than lie to say you didn't do it.

I agree with you 100%. All schools are closer to this situation than we would like to believe. Having said that, what kind of compensation can be paid to the student-athletes that will be enough to keep them from taking these hand outs? I don't know that it is possible.

Other than deciding who to pay, which sport to pay, and which colleges would pay, I believe the Title IX ruling pretty much makes it a moot point unless they are going to also start paying the women’s bowling team and every other sport under NCAA jurisdiction.

How's this for irony. Paul Dee the AD at Miami was the Chairman of the NCAA Infraction Committee that busted Memphis for Derrick Rose.

Someone yesterday wrote that this situation makes the Memphis situation look "quaint."

Cal tweeted "strict liability" today in a closing about leaving for the DR. That was a shot at Paul Dee who used the phrase "strict liability" when the NCAA handed down Memphis's punishment. Paul Dee is awfully quiet right now.

Clint Hurtt is in some trouble too. Auburn fans are breathing a huge sigh of relief, per one article I saw, that he didnt take Auburn job.

Hurtt willingly and knowingly sent recruits Shapiro's way. Attended those visits. Took an interest free loan. Had contact with Shapiro even after signing day at UL. All of it has been corrobarated.

Teddy Bridgewater was recruited by the U and passed Shapiro's suite and dropped The U once Hurtt left Miami. Interesting.

Some speculation that Hurtt was the "bagman" for Shapiro and recruits.

Charles Robinson said on OTL today that Hurtt had direct knowledge or participation in Shapiro' actions.

In addition, UL has confirmed that the NCAA has contacted the school to speak with Hurtt.

Suspension may be in order to protect him.

Edited by letabrotherspeak

I'd be shocked to see the Death Penalty. That said I think the U will get the stiffest penalty of this era if this stuff proves true. This looks way worse than Reggie Bush. Miami football may be dead.

The worst thing is that Miami apparently made no mention of this to Al Golden when they hired him.

I don't see how Louisville, Alabama, Missouri or any other schools who have hired these former Miami coaches could get in trouble, with the possible exception of if they continued to do these transgressions at their current location. And there is no indication of that.

Now obviously it looks bad to hire someone who might be really sleazy, but is there any way they get in trouble? Do they just cut ties with the coach and that's it?