Coach Cal Gets Extension

Clyde

For those of you who mention ego as being a reason that he would leave for the NBA...

While I agree that you bring up a good point, I also feel like he's not going to have his ego stroked more at any other job in the country (NCAA or NBA) than at Kentucky?

When I refer to ego as being a possible reason, I'm looking more about perception & not so much being catered to or being at the center of attention. Cal will never have the love anywhere like he has at UK, but from a national perspective, the NBA jobs that could possibly lure him are perceived to have more prestige than UK. UK is nationally one of three or four elite jobs at the collegiate level. But the New York Knicks position is one of three or four elite jobs at the NBA level, which is the highest level of basketball competition.

So it's about the perception side of ego. When you're at UK, you can't get at a higher collegiate coaching level. When you're at the Knicks or Celtics or Lakers, you can't get at a higher coaching level anywhere in that respective sport.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many active coach's do? That are within 5 years of his age?

His teams have played in one championship game and he blew that....I don't know how old Izzo, Self, Coach K., Tubby, Donovan, +Pitino are, but they have something Cal doesn't. Izzo and Donovan pulled their teams out of the doldrums to win. For Cal it is all setup for him, and he still can't win. (DO NOT LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN)

How can you possibly say it's all set up for him? His hard work and the reputation he has built in recruiting is why it's all set up for him. Calipari has brought in these amazingly talented players, not UK, the program, or a previous coach.

Not to turn this into another thread bashing you know who but you mention another coach in your post that had it all set up for him!

His teams have played in one championship game and he blew that....I don't know how old Izzo, Self, Coach K., Tubby, Donovan, +Pitino are, but they have something Cal doesn't. Izzo and Donovan pulled their teams out of the doldrums to win. For Cal it is all setup for him, and he still can't win. (DO NOT LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN)

He was in the final 4 within 2 years at UK after UK was in a bad downward spiral. He took Memphis to the final game after taking over that program which was very down. He took UMASS to the final 4 where he had built them up from nothing. I understand that you are trying to stir the pot, but come on man.

How can you possibly say it's all set up for him? His hard work and the reputation he has built in recruiting is why it's all set up for him. Calipari has brought in these amazingly talented players, not UK, the program, or a previous coach.

Not to turn this into another thread bashing you know who but you mention another coach in your post that had it all set up for him!

I said it is all set up for him now. Will be all the more reason to laugh when he doesn't win. I am not a Tubby basher, nor a fan-simply answered a question that was asked of me.

He was in the final 4 within 2 years at UK after UK was in a bad downward spiral. He took Memphis to the final game after taking over that program which was very down. He took UMASS to the final 4 where he had built them up from nothing. I understand that you are trying to stir the pot, but come on man.

Truly not trying to stir the pot, but if you can't win at UK, Duke, NC, Kansas, Indiana (so the current coach needs to come into question), UCLA and a few others then you are simply not trying. UK and their fans will spare no expense to win it all. Basketball is that important to the commonwealth. I am simply saying John hasn't been the king yet, but folks fall all over themselves, because they feel he is on the verge. You will get what you deserve-in the near future-and in the long term in my opinion.

Bob Ryan and Bomani Jones both said yesterday that the UK job is the best job in the country when UK is winning. I absolutely agree with both of them. Ask Pitino. I don't think there is anywhere someone can coach in this nation at any level and have a better job than UK. It never gets better. Especially if you are winning. If or when Cal wins a championship he will be set up like Pitino was. I don't see Cal making the same mistake Pitino did. He has the contract to keep him in place for the remainder of his coaching career at the best job in he country. I hope it works out for him. I like what he is doing at UK. And I am a Duke fan.

Bob Ryan and Bomani Jones both said yesterday that the UK job is the best job in the country when UK is winning. I absolutely agree with both of them. Ask Pitino. I don't think there is anywhere someone can coach in this nation at any level and have a better job than UK. It never gets better. Especially if you are winning. If or when Cal wins a championship he will be set up like Pitino was. I don't see Cal making the same mistake Pitino did. He has the contract to keep him in place for the remainder of his coaching career at the best job in he country. I hope it works out for him. I like what he is doing at UK. And I am a Duke fan.

:thumb:

Someone justify this to the people struggling to fund programs and salaries in academia.

What does that have to do with Cal getting an extension? I have to believe the basketball revenue at UK covers Cal's contract, all team expenses and generates additional revenue used throughout the school.

Let's not forget that he's already been to the NBA once before, and that a previous UK coach did leave UK for the NBA and later said he regretted doing so. Not sure if Cal may consider that.

And him failing in the NBA is why his ego probably would want another crack at it. Especially if he gets a title at UK, he will want to take that next step in proving people wrong. He seems to be a guy who LOVES proving people wrong, and he would want to prove he can also do it at the NBA level. Not to mention I believe he has even said that with all the stuff that goes into being a UK coach, 6 to 8 years is about the most a coach can do as UK coach. Yes when you win as UK coach, you are more loved than anyone. However it still doesn't mean that the job is easy, recruiting all the time, and then doing all the stuff promoting the program that he is asked to do as UK coach. I doubt other coaches have to do as much as him. Then as I mentioned before if he was in the NBA that probably also means more time with his family, which is important to people.

The main thing it comes down to IMO is if the right team in the right situation comes along and wants him. If that happens then I do think he will go, for all the reasons he said. He won't leave to take over a team though with not much of a chance again though.

Someone justify this to the people struggling to fund programs and salaries in academia.
Duly noted but I will try and take a stab at it.

Coach Cal, Nick Saban, Leader K, Mack Brown, etc. are the figureheads of a University. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is the case. They bring about more money and awareness for a University by their presence. These guys are worth every penny they are making assuming the engage the base and keep their noses relatively clean.