Coach Cal Gets Extension

Clyde

People had the same concerns about this past (2010) class. They got Poole in September and then didn't get another commitment until March when Kanter committed. Knight and Lamb were in April, Jones and Vargas were in May. These 2011 freshmen are a little different since they all committed so early, but I'm not too worried about who will come onboard after this season. I'll just enjoy watching what I believe will be a very good team, and the rest will take care of itself.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't claim to be a guy that knows much about recruiting like GT or people like that on here. I just know usually around this time we have heard more about UK being in on some big time recruits too for the season after, and we don't seem to be hearing as much about this 2013-2013 class. No doubt Coach Cal will still find some talented players to get in, however from the sounds of it. Doesn't seem like it will be complete studs who as Freshman could lead the way. I could be wrong on this, but I just know we usually have heard more about it by now.

Cal is in on several of the biggest names. I think part of the reason we haven't seen early commitments is because kids are waiting to see if the NBA changes the rule to two years as opposed to the current one-and-done. If it gets changed to two, which I doubt it will (at least for the current freshman class), we'll have very few recruits for 2012-13 simply because UK would have the big four freshmen back for at least one more season.

Another explanation is that this class, for whatever reason, just doesn't have the Cal "shoe-in" guys like we've had before (like John Wall, Michael Gilchrist, and insert your elite PG's name here). The 2012-13 class isn't point guard heavy at the top & with the addition of Ryan Harrow, the Cats likely won't be adding one of the few elite PG's as we've had with Wall, Bledsoe, Knight, & Teague. Cal seems to be focusing heavily on the big forwards & slashing wing players like Coleman, Muhammad, Ashley, Goodwin & others.

Let's imagine he wins one this year. Do you think he bolts?

No way. There are only a handful of NBA coaches that make more money than Cal. He won't get as much money as those coaches and I don't think there's any chance he'd take a different college job.

No way. There are only a handful of NBA coaches that make more money than Cal. He won't get as much money as those coaches and I don't think there's any chance he'd take a different college job.

There is no chance of him leaving for another college job. However lets not forget this is a guy who has a very big ego, and wants he can accomplish getting a National Championship which could happen this year. His ego would want to prove that he can also do it at the NBA level too. You have to figure the Heat, or the Knicks job could open up after next season too depending on how they do. Then if they want him, it would be hard to pass up even for a little less money. Lets not forget the family part of it if he goes to the NBA. That means probably more time with his family too.

I don't claim to be a guy that knows much about recruiting like GT or people like that on here. I just know usually around this time we have heard more about UK being in on some big time recruits too for the season after, and we don't seem to be hearing as much about this 2013-2013 class. No doubt Coach Cal will still find some talented players to get in, however from the sounds of it. Doesn't seem like it will be complete studs who as Freshman could lead the way. I could be wrong on this, but I just know we usually have heard more about it by now.

In Cal I fully trust!

There is no chance of him leaving for another college job. However lets not forget this is a guy who has a very big ego, and wants he can accomplish getting a National Championship which could happen this year. His ego would want to prove that he can also do it at the NBA level too. You have to figure the Heat, or the Knicks job could open up after next season too depending on how they do. Then if they want him, it would be hard to pass up even for a little less money. Lets not forget the family part of it if he goes to the NBA. That means probably more time with his family too.

Let's not forget that he's already been to the NBA once before, and that a previous UK coach did leave UK for the NBA and later said he regretted doing so. Not sure if Cal may consider that.