Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Cal Gets Extension

Featured Replies

Should be announced on Monday.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope it's got the "Always the Highest Paid Coach" clause. Well deserved. He truly "gets" the job and all it entails.

I'd be surprised if it really adds many more years to his contract. Maybe 1 or 2 at best. Cal said going in to the job that it's one that will take alot out of you and can he could likely only do for 6-7 years. I'd love to have him as long as he's happy though. Perhaps he didn't realize how much of a super star he'd be in KY.

I think it'll have more to do with years than money. Hard to imagine UK giving Cal much more $$$.

I'd be surprised if it really adds many more years to his contract. Maybe 1 or 2 at best. Cal said going in to the job that it's one that will take alot out of you and can he could likely only do for 6-7 years. I'd love to have him as long as he's happy though. Perhaps he didn't realize how much of a super star he'd be in KY.

 

I would be concerned of his chances of leaving after this coming season. If they don't put the two year rule in effect after the NBA does there CBA, then the season after this one could be a down year. We could potentially lose Davis, Teague, Jones, Lamb, Gilchrist, and then Miller who is a senior. So after this coming season, if a good NBA job comes around. It probably would be very tempting for coach Cal to take it. So I hope we get it done this year and hang #8 because this could be his last year IMO.

Is it just me or what? Why would anyone leave KY and go to the NBA? Just don't get it. Seems like Cal would say, "been there, done that".

Is it just me or what? Why would anyone leave KY and go to the NBA? Just don't get it. Seems like Cal would say, "been there, done that".

 

Has to do with EGO.

 

I am always against College guys trying to coach in the NBA. Outside of Larry Brown, who has been successful???

Has to do with EGO.

 

I am always against College guys trying to coach in the NBA. Outside of Larry Brown, who has been successful???

 

Who went to a good situation? If he leaves it will be for the Knicks or Heat IMO. A lot of people could win there.

  • Author

8 years.

I do agree that next year is a make or break year. I've always been worried about 2012-2013 for our Cats from a talent standpoint. We're going to lose alot after this year unless the NBA helps us out. And there won't be much left over to help with the talent Cal will bring in if he's here.

I do agree that next year is a make or break year. I've always been worried about 2012-2013 for our Cats from a talent standpoint. We're going to lose alot after this year unless the NBA helps us out. And there won't be much left over to help with the talent Cal will bring in if he's here.

 

That is why the 2012-2013 year scares when it comes to if coach Cal would leave or not. Unless the 2 year rule is in place after this season, then we lose everyone after next season. Not to mention you have jobs like the Knicks, and Heat jobs that could open up depending on how they do next season. No idea if those teams would try to go after Cal if their head coaching job is open. However if they do, then it will be hard for Coach Cal to turn down IMO.

Is it just me or what? Why would anyone leave KY and go to the NBA? Just don't get it. Seems like Cal would say, "been there, done that".

 

As someone said it has to do with ego. Also I don't know this for a fact since I have not coached at UK, or the NBA. However I have to believe that he probably would have more time to spend with his family if he was coaching in the NBA than he does coaching at UK. At UK your always recruiting, and then all the other outside things that is done to promote the program. In the NBA they are home for half their games, and doesn't have to recruit year round.

I would be concerned of his chances of leaving after this coming season. If they don't put the two year rule in effect after the NBA does there CBA, then the season after this one could be a down year. We could potentially lose Davis, Teague, Jones, Lamb, Gilchrist, and then Miller who is a senior. So after this coming season, if a good NBA job comes around. It probably would be very tempting for coach Cal to take it. So I hope we get it done this year and hang #8 because this could be his last year IMO.

 

 

Players that will almost surely be on the UK roster for 2012-13:

 

Jon Hood

Stacy Poole

Ryan Harrow

Twany Beckham

Jarred Polson

... and maybe Wiltjer, not sure he will go pro.

 

So add your 5 or 6 elite recruits and it doesn't look much different than it has the last two years.

Players that will almost surely be on the UK roster for 2012-13:

 

Jon Hood

Stacy Poole

Ryan Harrow

Twany Beckham

Jarred Polson

... and maybe Wiltjer, not sure he will go pro.

 

So add your 5 or 6 elite recruits and it doesn't look much different than it has the last two years.

 

I don't claim to be a guy that knows much about recruiting like GT or people like that on here. I just know usually around this time we have heard more about UK being in on some big time recruits too for the season after, and we don't seem to be hearing as much about this 2013-2013 class. No doubt Coach Cal will still find some talented players to get in, however from the sounds of it. Doesn't seem like it will be complete studs who as Freshman could lead the way. I could be wrong on this, but I just know we usually have heard more about it by now.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.