Coach Cal Gets Extension

Clyde

Duly noted but I will try and take a stab at it.

Coach Cal, Nick Saban, Leader K, Mack Brown, etc. are the figureheads of a University. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is the case. They bring about more money and awareness for a University by their presence. These guys are worth every penny they are making assuming the engage the base and keep their noses relatively clean.

I would add that there is little doubt enrollment goes up as a result of the success of athletics, thus bringing in more dollars for the academic side.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And him failing in the NBA is why his ego probably would want another crack at it. Especially if he gets a title at UK, he will want to take that next step in proving people wrong. He seems to be a guy who LOVES proving people wrong, and he would want to prove he can also do it at the NBA level. Not to mention I believe he has even said that with all the stuff that goes into being a UK coach, 6 to 8 years is about the most a coach can do as UK coach. Yes when you win as UK coach, you are more loved than anyone. However it still doesn't mean that the job is easy, recruiting all the time, and then doing all the stuff promoting the program that he is asked to do as UK coach. I doubt other coaches have to do as much as him. Then as I mentioned before if he was in the NBA that probably also means more time with his family, which is important to people.

The main thing it comes down to IMO is if the right team in the right situation comes along and wants him. If that happens then I do think he will go, for all the reasons he said. He won't leave to take over a team though with not much of a chance again though.

So he'd want to go visit the "step up" that may pay a few more hundred thousand a year to run into some more UK players,? UK does have the most right now in the NBA I believe? Hmmmm or continue to build on what he accomplished, under your circumstances inviting NCAA, NBA and probably Olympic Champions back..... Yea you're right, why would he want to top Coach K.....

I would add that there is little doubt enrollment goes up as a result of the success of athletics, thus bringing in more dollars for the academic side.

I don't have a link, but I read somewhere, (I believe that it may have been a tweet by Coach Cal) that UK's applications topped 14,000 this year for the 4,000 open spots. That's the most in the history of UK. Having worked in the Admissions Office at NKU (I know, a smaller school but still...) that's a ridiculous number. So not only does it increase enrollment, but also the quality of enrollment.

I doubt other coaches have to do as much as him.

I agree and disagree with this statement. I believe that Calipari does have to do more at UK than most coaches do at other programs. However, I also feel that he goes far above and beyond his job responsibilites!

I don't have a link, but I read somewhere, (I believe that it may have been a tweet by Coach Cal) that UK's applications topped 14,000 this year for the 4,000 open spots. That's the most in the history of UK. Having worked in the Admissions Office at NKU (I know, a smaller school but still...) that's a ridiculous number. So not only does it increase enrollment, but also the quality of enrollment.
I know last season after MSU's buzzer-beater against Vandy visits were up exponentially compared to most years.

I agree and disagree with this statement. I believe that Calipari does have to do more at UK than most coaches do at other programs. However, I also feel that he goes far above and beyond his job responsibilites!

I know it's cliche, but that's because he "gets it". Tubby did it, but didn't enjoy doing it, and Billy Clyde just simply didn't do it. Cal embraces it and that's why the program is the premiere spot in the country.

How though, does it help enrollment, if that number is finite? So, 14K aps for 4K open spots. The most that can enroll is 4K, which may vary from year to year, but the number of total spots (taken + available) still remains the same. Improving quality is good, but doesn't necessarily equate to more money.

I know it's cliche, but that's because he "gets it". Tubby did it, but didn't enjoy doing it, and Billy Clyde just simply didn't do it. Cal embraces it and that's why the program is the premiere spot in the country.

Calapari enjoys the spotlight and is a great fit for the U.K. job......

Tubby enjoyed it and did what was needed but the big $$ alumni and supporters turned against him and made it impossible for him and Tubby wasn't enjoying it in the last two or three years at U.K., jmo......

and.....Who is that "Billy Clyde" guy?? :idunno::D

How though, does it help enrollment, if that number is finite? So, 14K aps for 4K open spots. The most that can enroll is 4K, which may vary from year to year, but the number of total spots (taken + available) still remains the same. Improving quality is good, but doesn't necessarily equate to more money.

I am no Board of Regent, but I would think that if a University continually saw their application rise every year, by large amounts to the point where they were setting new records, that they would feel comfortable taking on certain expansion projects to allow for more students to eventually be enrolled. If the applications plateaued at a certain level then they would be less likely to build that new dorm or something. Just a thought though.

And throwing this out there, but better quality student coming in allows for better quality student graduating, would could equate to better jobs and more money being returned through Alumni donations. I know that might be a stretch, but still probably accurate.

I think your statement is very true...However I feel like Calipari does much more than just "gets it". He does everything that is expected as the UK coach beauitfully, but then he goes far above and beyond that. In my mind he is redifining what it means to be the HC at UK.