Trinity 14 St. Xavier 6

Birdsfan

Got a chance to meet Guru and TonyDanza, but didn't get to meet any of the other attendees. Hope I get that chance tomorrow.

Didn't know you were there, Jim...Maybe I'll get a chance to see you tomorrow...Will you be around for the 1A game?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't know you were there, Jim...Maybe I'll get a chance to see you tomorrow...Will you be around for the 1A game?

I'm most interested in the 3A game, and it's going to be a long day, so there's a chance I may not stick around that late for the 1A game. But as of now, I plan to be there.

Two things won this game for Trinity: senior leadership and Coach Bob Beatty. This Trinity team was far from the most physically talented team that Trinity has had. But what it may have lacked in physical ability, it more than made up in

guts, character and senior leadership. I believe that there was a post earlier that intimated that these types of intagible qualities would not be able to overcome the 30+ shellacking that X put on Trinity in late September, that all the talk about "pride, loyalty, achievement and discipline " would prove futile and of no effect against the (allegedly) superior talent of St. X, that St. X's OL and DL would dominate and/or wear down Trinity's lines, and that St. X would summarily dismiss an impudent Trinity team that had the audacity to think it could compete with the team that had won 25 or so games in succession and was clearly on its way to establishing itself as one of the best, currently, in the USA and, historically, one of the best ever at St. X.

Well, Coach Beatty and Trinity's seniors had a slightly different take on this situation. The seniors were embarrassed by the Spetember blowout (despite mitigating personnel circumstances) and were offended by the subsequent slights and disrespect directed toward them from many points. These served to galvanize them in an effort to successfully end a season which many had written off. They have now succeeded in this endeavor, much in the same fashion that old Flaget High would prevail against St. X (the all-time series is 19-9 in favor of Flaget). The most physically talented team does not always win. This is what make sports great. Heart and desire are variables that computers cannot quantify.

Finally, for all those in the Louisville area and elsewhere who think that Bob Beatty cannot coach, I suggest that you study the past 6 years and how Trinity has fared in the 4A tournament. The job he did with this year's Shamrock team was nothing less than phenomenal, given the adversity he and the team encountered.

OK, I've had a few hours - and thanks for the few Bud Lights from some of my Trinity friends - to think about another word than WOW. Everybody just kept saying WOW and I wanted another word but I just keep coming back to WOW!

It was simply an amazing turn of events from the Sept. game to the finals. I for one thought X would win 10-17 points and even at halftime I just felt like they would come back out and win the game. How wrong was I!

Congrats to coach Beatty, coach Bean and the entire Trinity staff. All those naysayers who said you couldn't coach can now eat a big 'ol helping of green-colored crow! You did a remarkable job.

As far as the game and the kids, what a performance by the defensive guys. The hit on Curley was bonecrushing, the hit on Anderson at the end was sensational and the blocked extra point was a huge key.

Eric Senn gets my vote as a first-team All-State kid on any and every All-State team. He's a very special player and the Petrino kid made some big-time plays tonight. He will only get better and better.

What a great night of football and a great night of class by both sides. Was so happy to see the hugs and hand shakes after the game from both teams. This is what high school football is all about.

Now I must sleep! CONGRATS ROCKS!

OK, I've had a few hours - and thanks for the few Bud Lights from some of my Trinity friends - to think about another word than WOW. Everybody just kept saying WOW and I wanted another word but I just keep coming back to WOW!

It was simply an amazing turn of events from the Sept. game to the finals. I for one thought X would win 10-17 points and even at halftime I just felt like they would come back out and win the game. How wrong was I!

Congrats to coach Beatty, coach Bean and the entire Trinity staff. All those naysayers who said you couldn't coach can now eat a big 'ol helping of green-colored crow! You did a remarkable job.

As far as the game and the kids, what a performance by the defensive guys. The hit on Curley was bonecrushing, the hit on Anderson at the end was sensational and the blocked extra point was a huge key.

Eric Senn gets my vote as a first-team All-State kid on any and every All-State team. He's a very special player and the Petrino kid made some big-time plays tonight. He will only get better and better.

What a great night of football and a great night of class by both sides. Was so happy to see the hugs and hand shakes after the game from both teams. This is what high school football is all about.

Now I must sleep! CONGRATS ROCKS!

On the first bold part: Huge hit, huge play. But Glaser was right in keeping him out, despite the fact the kid wanted to go back in. It was said it might be a jammed neck.

On the second: I was impressed more by him than any other player on the field.

Congrats go out to Trinity for a great game. Big win. Sounds like the PRIDE factor was huge tonight. Not a shocking upset when it comes to this rivalry. Between these two and a couple of others around the state, records mean little.

Congrats to St X on a great year as well. Sorry you did not achieve the goal at hand, but keep your head up and be proud of your season.

Congrats to Tony D, Rockmom, LSU Rock & Rockpride and all other BGP Rock fans and I am sure you had the Ville ROCKIN last night. Tony D probably is still missing the Big Red bus.

Congratulations to Trinity on a well executed game plan and their state title. Congratulations to St. X for a magnificent season that came up just short of a title. Condolences to Coach Glaser, who lost a father-in-law before the game. That kind of loss puts the other loss in perspective. I read in the paper that he said "I felt like I let the team down. My head wasn't into the game." He didn't. On this cold night in December Trinity earned a hard fought victory.

One more point I meant to make. An especially poignant moment occurred immediately after the game. An X player was crouched on the turf, obvously in grief. A T player stood beside him, hand on his shoulder, consoling him. This sums up the rivalry. Its more than wins and losses.

I know some fans are homers but RP said this bunch of Rocks were a different story from last season's team. What do both teams look like for next season?

;)

Just call'em as I see them...

Well, next season we get a ton back (defensively)...and will actually be healthy again..However, we lose all of our skill players but Petrino and Flynn....That is going to be very tough to overcome. I am glad that Qb is OK...I think that we will get a HUGE dose of the twins next season....

HOW 'BOUT THOSE ROCKS