Work Days for Teachers

Big K 61

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paralegals in Kentucky - $54,000 average.

Kentucky Paralegal Education Requirements

Like most states, the state of Kentucky does not have specific educational requirements for paralegals. That may change in the near future, however. The Kentucky Paralegal Association is currently developing a certification exam. This would not be a requirement for paralegals, but would be voluntary. Passage of that exam would give a paralegal certification through the Kentucky Paralegal Association. Other Kentucky paralegal associations include the Greater Lexington Paralegal Association, Inc. (NFPA) and the Western Kentucky Paralegals (NALA) which provides information for prospective and employed paralegals.

>>Become a Paralegal in Kentucky. Find a Paralegal Program.

Kentucky Paralegal Salary and Job Outlook

The average salary for paralegals in Kentucky is about $54,000, which is slightly above the national average. The outlook for this profession is positive, as the Bureau of Labor Statistics has projected that there will be a 28% increase in the decade from 2008 – 2018.

http://www.criminaljusticedegreeschools.com/paralegal-schools-by-state/kentucky-paralegal-schools/#1

Some will only EVER see the time that teachers spend with students as "work time."

Clyde, you asked me if my summer time commitment was typical. I had lunch with three fellow teachers today. I asked them about what they would be doing this summer.

The first teacher is young (mid 20s) will be taking classes five days a week. She was supposed to start Monday, but can't, since we still have Senate Bill 1 training. She does get a week off near July 4th and a week off at the beginning of August. Since she is taking classes toward her (required) Masters degree, does this count as work or is this part of her "time off" this summer?

The second teacher has a total of four weekdays off in June. She is attending a variety of conferences. Then, like me, she have to spend time in July working on curriculum for teaching a new AP class.

The third teacher is a coach. He has two weeks of conferences for his subject area in June, has the "dead period" off, and then will be practicing every day until school starts. If history repeats itself, he'll spend 8 am to noon at school each of those practice days.

I don't know if the four of us are typical teachers or if it is different with other grade levels in our district. I do know that none of the four of us are complaining about our job or any of the work we are doing. I, personally, would just like people to realize the truth of the situation of what our summers, and weekends, and evenings really is.

Bolded, I guess you're counting this as a work day. Also I coached for our local middle school for a few years. 1. I was surprised to find out that I got paid, and 2. No way I considered that work. Anyone who is ckassifying coaching as work is in ti for the wrong reason. So please let's leave the coaching part out of this. No one is making these people coach. Also please speak to teachers retirement. What is person's tenure requirement to qualify for full retirement. I know a few that have "retired" at quite a young age, and gained full time employment elsewhere. Sort of double dipping

How many posters on here are salary? If on salary, are you required to have a degree?

How many are hourly? If hourly are you required to have a degree?

Just looking for perspective.

Salary here .... no degree required ... however ... my degree also does not impact my salary ... but my work performance does.

(And on an unrelated note ... the I always love the jokers who come in and think they deserve more money because they already have completed their education. That makes me glad that I waited until later to finish my education ... because none of those people know how to work).

Salary here .... no degree required ... however ... my degree also does not impact my salary ... but my work performance does.

(And on an unrelated note ... the I always love the jokers who come in and think they deserve more money because they already have completed their education. That makes me glad that I waited until later to finish my education ... because none of those people know how to work).

The bolded couldn't be any further from the truth. So because I had enough common sense and intelligence to complete my education right away, I don't know how to work?

How many posters on here are salary? If on salary, are you required to have a degree?

Salary. Not necessarily required to have a degree, but I wouldn't have the job without it. If that makes sense.

I have a read some on this thread about working the gate at ball games and such. What are the schools policy on this? I ref some and go to a lot of ball games and usually see the same people taking up money. Are they just suckers/volunteers or are they paid?

Bolded, I guess you're counting this as a work day. Also I coached for our local middle school for a few years. 1. I was surprised to find out that I got paid, and 2. No way I considered that work. Anyone who is ckassifying coaching as work is in ti for the wrong reason. So please let's leave the coaching part out of this. No one is making these people coach. Also please speak to teachers retirement. What is person's tenure requirement to qualify for full retirement. I know a few that have "retired" at quite a young age, and gained full time employment elsewhere. Sort of double dipping

I do agree about coaching. I've never considered it work and when/if I ever do you won't see me on any sideline.

For full retirement you need (at least this is my understanding):

1. 27 years

2. To be 55 years of age

3. Or you can get disability

I think if you have under 27 years, you can retire at 55 with near full benefits but I'm not sure about that. You can also retire in one state at 55, teach 5 years in another and add some retirement benefits from the other state, which almost feels like cheating but I'll take it.

If I get a job this year and teach every year until I'm 55, I will have taught 32 years before I can retire with full benefits. But, I would hope no one is complaining about retirement at 55. I don't think you can beat that in most lines of work.

Retired 7 years, no degree , but 5 year apprenticeship school , when I was working I was paid hourly . Majority of the time was supervision , supervision was paid more according to your level of responsibility . Total package when I retired for non supervision was around $30 to $35 an hour of which a little over $25 was on the check . Some jobs were 40 hours , some jobs were 5-10s some were more , depended on the scheduled completion date anything over 8 hr a day was 1 1/2 anythying over 40 hours was 1 1/2 , Sundays 2x . Overtime wasn't mandantory but you would be stupid to turn it down , helped to build up your retirement . The work was hard but very satisfying . The last decade I worked ,I was employed for the most part by a company owned by another BGP members' family nice people to work for .

As the school year winds down, I am hearing of more teachers having to stay 2-3 days over the closing day to make up "lost" hours because of snow days. As many hours teachers spend before and after school, I think this is just ridiculous to require teachers to come back. Anybody with me?? :irked:

Some will only EVER see the time that teachers spend with students as "work time."

Clyde, you asked me if my summer time commitment was typical. I had lunch with three fellow teachers today. I asked them about what they would be doing this summer.

The first teacher is young (mid 20s) will be taking classes five days a week. She was supposed to start Monday, but can't, since we still have Senate Bill 1 training. She does get a week off near July 4th and a week off at the beginning of August. Since she is taking classes toward her (required) Masters degree, does this count as work or is this part of her "time off" this summer?

The second teacher has a total of four weekdays off in June. She is attending a variety of conferences. Then, like me, she have to spend time in July working on curriculum for teaching a new AP class.

The third teacher is a coach. He has two weeks of conferences for his subject area in June, has the "dead period" off, and then will be practicing every day until school starts. If history repeats itself, he'll spend 8 am to noon at school each of those practice days.

I don't know if the four of us are typical teachers or if it is different with other grade levels in our district. I do know that none of the four of us are complaining about our job or any of the work we are doing. I, personally, would just like people to realize the truth of the situation of what our summers, and weekends, and evenings really is.

Good info.

As the school year winds down, I am hearing of more teachers having to stay 2-3 days over the closing day to make up "lost" hours because of snow days. As many hours teachers spend before and after school, I think this is just ridiculous to require teachers to come back. Anybody with me?? :irked:

I don't mind number comparisons, but could we at least compare teachers with groups that have a similar education requirement? I doubt that the average KY wage earner has or is working on a masters degree.

KY has some of the poorest counties in the state. TGB is correct that the comparison is invalid.

That's the thing about teaching. So many people have opinions on what the job is like.

Unless you are IN the job or your spouse is IN the job you don't really know. I sell for a living. Some think it's a lot better gig than it is. It's what I chose to do to support my family. No one knows the good or the bad of it unless you're in it.

Salary and commission. 2010 - my commission was 150% of my salary. 2011 - it will probably be less than 100% of my salary.

No degree required.

I’m struggling to understand the animosity toward teachers driving this thread and most others on education. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a teacher on this site complain about their compensation or demand more of it, yet there are several posters here arguing that teachers are overly whiny and entitled dregs who should actually be compensated less. It should be a mystery to no one that some would then feel the need to defend their livelihood and profession.

Having read through this thread and found few answers, I ask again: what is driving this contempt toward teachers?