Work Days for Teachers

Big K 61

In my line of work .... 95 times out of 100 ... my statement holds to be true.

I will be the first one to admit that there are numerous factors at play there ...

I would also venture to say that, in this generation, it is more true than ever.

Just so we're clear, you're saying you'd advise high school seniors to not go to college upon graduating and enter the workforce instead?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so we're clear, you're saying you'd advise high school seniors to not go to college upon graduating and enter the workforce instead?

My advice ... college isn't the end all be all.

Especially with this generation.

If it were up to me ... all high school graduates should have to work for 1 to 2 years before college (kind of like how some countries require a military commitment at a similar age).

My thought is that this age group would learn to appreciate any/all education they may/may not choose to get at that point.

I full admit that this may be unique to my line of work (but I doubt it)--but most college graduates who come to work in my field ... rarely survive .. and they know very little in terms of applying their education to their job. My theory--they don't have the work background to apply their knowledge. And this generation, more than any other, has trouble connecting the dots while still being able to use a dynamic thought process. Some of that has to do with the way things are taught in college. Some of it has to do with other factors.

Now .. in NKY ... it seems like a lot of high schools are providing co-op work during the last year in high school. I think that this is a great step. It exposes this group to real world scenarios ... and also give this group the ability to understand whether they are interested in certain fields AFTER college. Great move as far as I am concerned.

But overall ... I am rarely impressed with college graduates these days. Most come in with chips on their shoulder because Mommy and Daddy paid for 7 years of college ... to which they have no clue how to use.

My advice ... college isn't the end all be all.

Especially with this generation.

If it were up to me ... all high school graduates should have to work for 1 to 2 years before college (kind of like how some countries require a military commitment at a similar age).

My thought is that this age group would learn to appreciate any/all education they may/may not choose to get at that point.

I full admit that this may be unique to my line of work (but I doubt it)--but most college graduates who come to work in my field ... rarely survive .. and they know very little in terms of applying their education to their job. My theory--they don't have the work background to apply their knowledge. And this generation, more than any other, has trouble connecting the dots while still being able to use a dynamic thought process. Some of that has to do with the way things are taught in college. Some of it has to do with other factors.

Now .. in NKY ... it seems like a lot of high schools are providing co-op work during the last year in high school. I think that this is a great step. It exposes this group to real world scenarios ... and also give this group the ability to understand whether they are interested in certain fields AFTER college. Great move as far as I am concerned.

But overall ... I am rarely impressed with college graduates these days. Most come in with chips on their shoulder because Mommy and Daddy paid for 7 years of college ... to which they have no clue how to use.

Wow! That has to be the worst advice I've ever heard. Not a single thing you've said is right. Studies and statistics show that college graduates are a great deal more successful than those who do not go on to higher education.

Do you mind me asking what field you're in? I know it's entirely impossible to get a job in my field or any other business field without a degree of some sort or working towards obtaining a degree.

Your comment about college grads having chips on their shoulder is pretty laughable really for a couple reasons. 1) I'd venture 95% of all college graduates get through school in much less time than 7 years. 2) The majority of college graduates don't rely on "Mommy and Daddy" to foot the bill. More and more students are using loans and working multiple jobs while going to school to pay for their education.

College isn't for some people but in most cases you are obviously much better off.

I agree. However, I think it's quite possibly the worst advice I've ever heard to say you'd tell graduating high school kids to "work a year or two" before going to college. I know quite a few people (my girlfriend being one of them) that didn't go to school right away, and they're struggling to stick with it or have never made it back.

It comes down to what you want to do. If you're wanting to get into any business related field, a degree of some sort is almost a mandatory requirement any more.

I agree. However, I think it's quite possibly the worst advice I've ever heard to say you'd tell graduating high school kids to "work a year or two" before going to college. I know quite a few people (my girlfriend being one of them) that didn't go to school right away, and they're struggling to stick with it or have never made it back.

It comes down to what you want to do. If you're wanting to get into any business related field, a degree of some sort is almost a mandatory requirement any more.

It is so hard to go after you stopped going for a while. I am living proof of that. Now it is pretty much impossible to work full time and go to school full time so it is taking me forever to graduate.

Wow! That has to be the worst advice I've ever heard. Not a single thing you've said is right. Studies and statistics show that college graduates are a great deal more successful than those who do not go on to higher education.

Do you mind me asking what field you're in? I know it's entirely impossible to get a job in my field or any other business field without a degree of some sort or working towards obtaining a degree.

Your comment about college grads having chips on their shoulder is pretty laughable really for a couple reasons. 1) I'd venture 95% of all college graduates get through school in much less time than 7 years. 2) The majority of college graduates don't rely on "Mommy and Daddy" to foot the bill. More and more students are using loans and working multiple jobs while going to school to pay for their education.

If you say so ... but honestly ... I doubt it. You would make a much better case with me ... if you made one statement: which would be something along the lines of "the group that you are talking about would be successful either way".

The worst advice ever? Wow ... how narrow minded and short-sided is your opinion? Probably about the same as mine.

How can you say that work experience ... getting a true idea of how to work .. and realizing that there are a LOT of jobs that people would probably realize that they would never want to get stuck in is a bad idea? To me, it gives a person a certain focus--and a true understanding when it comes to knowing what one wants to do with their life.

That may not work for you ... but it works for a lot more people than you would care to admit.

I work for one of the largest financial institutions in the world ... in project leadership/management.

I am also a high school coach (which is the only "true" reason why I finished my education (we have been very successful--and I can tell you this ... my real world experience is used 1000 times more than anything I learned at an institution of higher learning).

In the recent past, the company I work for was drove into the ground by persons with a great deal of education. We have a very specific group that engineered our recovery--which is led by 6 people WITHOUT a college degree. This group does have a significant amount of experience with the company ... which has made a significant difference when it comes to solving complexed problems within our organization.

As far as your last paragraph ... wow. Absolutely incredible (or .. we live in completely different worlds--which may be a solid possibility).

Very few people that I know--and very few student athletes that we have been responsible for (not just football kids--but track/cross country kids) have graduated in 4 or even 5 years. (For real???? You may want to read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/business/economy/09leonhardt.html)

I would also venture to say that you are wrong about who truly pays for college. (And trust me ... it suits my point for the actual "student" to pay for college--because I would definitely agree that this group does a much better job when it comes to the usefulness of their college education). Mommy and Daddy and probably to a larger extent, the government, pay for college.

The one thing that I will conclude with--I respect your opinion on this subject a great deal. And--I wish it were true. My environment just leads me to a different opinion (that I feel are facts--just like you).