Work Days for Teachers

Big K 61

That is what you posted. How else were we to take it????? I wanted to clear up this misconception. In my 27 years of teaching I never complained about all the extra hours I put in, money I spent out of my own pocket, ballgames and extra activities I had to work, without extra pay, and home visits. $$$$$ spent for more education. I became a teacher because I loved kids and wanted to make a difference in their lives. I believe I did. I have been retired 5 years now...but sub over 100 day each year.....really miss the kids.

By "I didn't mean that literally" I mean that I know teachers work some during summers, but I also know that teachers have a significant amount of time off. Whether thats 2 months or 1 month I know it's more than most people get so they (those complaining) shouldn't complain about a couple of extra days.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolded, I guess you're counting this as a work day.

I am not sure what you are getting at here. I worked at my school yesterday (and today) from 8 am until 4:30 pm, so yes, I am counting it as a work day. I ate my lunch with three other teachers. I hope that I am incorrect about what I think that you were getting at.

I am not sure what you are getting at here. I worked at my school yesterday (and today) from 8 am until 4:30 pm, so yes, I am counting it as a work day. I ate my lunch with three other teachers. I hope that I am incorrect about what I think that you were getting at.

Just busting your chops, as you have gone to the nth degree to explain everything a teacher does. Have a good day

That is what you posted. How else were we to take it????? I wanted to clear up this misconception. In my 27 years of teaching I never complained about all the extra hours I put in, money I spent out of my own pocket, ballgames and extra activities I had to work, without extra pay, and home visits. $$$$$ spent for more education. I became a teacher because I loved kids and wanted to make a difference in their lives. I believe I did. I have been retired 5 years now...but sub over 100 day each year.....really miss the kids.

That's awesome that you sub that many days. I understand that finding qualified subs can be difficult in many districts (one of my closest friends is a principal). Since it sounds like you really do miss the students and the job, can you not return to teaching full-time? Assuming you wanted to do so?

That's awesome that you sub that many days. I understand that finding qualified subs can be difficult in many districts (one of my closest friends is a principal). Since it sounds like you really do miss the students and the job, can you not return to teaching full-time? Assuming you wanted to do so?

I don't want to. I have taken a extended sub job. A new teacher only lasted 3 weeks and quite. She took the teaching job because she wanted a easy 8-3 job with nights and weekends free......:lol: she soon found out that wasn't the case. Begged for her job back at the Lexington Hearld and she went back working for them. I filled in the rest of the semester till they could get a qualified person. I will only sub at GRC, as that is where I taught. You are right, good subs are hard to find. I could sub everyday up to 129 days a year if I wanted to.

I retired with only 27 years and wasn't 55 yet....I did so because my dad was sick and I wanted to spend time with my parents. Both are still living, and being retired gives me the time to go visit them anytime I want.

I don't want to. I have taken a extended sub job. A new teacher only lasted 3 weeks and quite. She took the teaching job because she wanted a easy 8-3 job with nights and weekends free......:lol: she soon found out that wasn't the case. Begged for her job back at the Lexington Hearld and she went back working for them. I filled in the rest of the semester till they could get a qualified person. I will only sub at GRC, as that is where I taught.

I retired with only 27 years and wasn't 55 yet....I did so because my dad was sick and I wanted to spend time with my parents. Both are still living, and being retired gives me the time to go visit them anytime I want.

Thanks. It sounds like you are a very good person to step into the long-term sub role. Also, anybody that can spend extra time with their family I am very jealous. I haven't spent nearly enough time with my parents lately.

Out of curiousity, if you decided that you did want to return to teaching full-time could you do so or would that jeopardize your retirement? Thanks again.

Thanks. It sounds like you are a very good person to step into the long-term sub role. Also, anybody that can spend extra time with their family I am very jealous. I haven't spent nearly enough time with my parents lately.

Out of curiousity, if you decided that you did want to return to teaching full-time could you do so or would that jeopardize your retirement? Thanks again.

In another state I don't think so, in KY would have to check. Now that I have been retired 5 years....not sure. I do know that the first year of your retirement you have to wait so many days before you can sub.

I do know that now, I am only allowed up to 129 days a year to sub. If I go over that it will affect my retirement. Also I can't be paid more than what my threshold is, set by the state department. If I am, I have to pay it back.

Thank you GS for shedding light on the retirement side of teaching. Huge perk to be able to retire at such a young age. Really great that you could have the opportunity to help your parents

I took a cut in my retirement by only teaching 27 years ,not 30 , and also not being 55. This was my choice as money isn't everything....my family to me is more important. Also I had to miss work alot my last year of teaching due to my dads health, and this wasn't fair to my students. I come from a long family history of teachers. My dad was my principal, mom, sister, brother, husband, aunts, uncles and cousins are/were teachers. We counted up about 5 years ago and on my moms side of the family we had over 400 years of teaching experience. As you can see teaching and education is in my blood.....:D

I took a cut in my retirement by only teaching 27 years ,not 30 , and also not being 55. This was my choice as money isn't everything....my family to me is more important. Also I had to miss work alot my last year of teaching due to my dads health, and this wasn't fair to my students. I come from a long family history of teachers. My dad was my principal, mom, sister, brother, husband, aunts, uncles and cousins are/were teachers. We counted up about 5 years ago and on my moms side of the family we had over 400 years of teaching experience. As you can see teaching and education is in my blood.....:D

Nice that you could do that. I'm sure you realize that 30 and 55 is a really sweet deal. At 55, I will be at my place of employment for 34 years, and will not even be thinking about retirement. I guess my point is, there are some benefits in teaching that are not enjoyed by the private sector. We all know that teachers don't have the entire summer off and do work at times besides the classroom. But, please, and this is not directed at you GS, please know that comparitively speaking, teachers have a pretty sweet deal.

Nice that you could do that. I'm sure you realize that 30 and 55 is a really sweet deal. At 55, I will be at my place of employment for 34 years, and will not even be thinking about retirement. I guess my point is, there are some benefits in teaching that are not enjoyed by the private sector. We all know that teachers don't have the entire summer off and do work at times besides the classroom. But, please, and this is not directed at you GS, please know that comparitively speaking, teachers have a pretty sweet deal.

In KY we do have a good retirement and yes retiring at 53 is something I enjoy. One perk that no one has mentioned is if your child goes to the same system that you teach in, then holidays, spring break, snow days, ect..... you are off at the same time and don't have to arrange for child care. With all jobs there are perks and drawbacks. The thing I have tried to do in this thread is to clear up some misconceptions that people have about the teaching profession.

I want them to have a sweet deal, so that it is an attractive job to young, bright, and passionate college grads. If it was not a "good" job imagine what type of teachers we all would be stuck with teaching our kids.

I want them to have a sweet deal, so that it is an attractive job to young, bright, and passionate college grads. If it was not a "good" job imagine what type of teachers we all would be stuck with teaching our kids.

Most definitely.:thumb:

The bolded couldn't be any further from the truth. So because I had enough common sense and intelligence to complete my education right away, I don't know how to work?

In my line of work .... 95 times out of 100 ... my statement holds to be true.

I will be the first one to admit that there are numerous factors at play there ...

I would also venture to say that, in this generation, it is more true than ever.