Work Days for Teachers

Big K 61

As the school year winds down, I am hearing of more teachers having to stay 2-3 days over the closing day to make up "lost" hours because of snow days. As many hours teachers spend before and after school, I think this is just ridiculous to require teachers to come back. Anybody with me?? :irked:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teachers get the whole summer off, I refuse to feel bad for them for having to stay a few extra days.

You are soooooo wrong. Many teachers are working on their Masters, which is required in Ky. Most then go on and get their Rank I. Also there are PD days in the summer they attend. Some teach summer school. Hours are spend getting their classrooms ready and materials together. To make the blanket statement of "Teachers have the whole summer off" is a misconception . Believe me I know....I taught for 27 years.

You are soooooo wrong. Many teachers are working on their Masters, which is required in Ky. Most then go on and get their Rank I. Also there are PD days in the summer they attend. Some teach summer school. Hours are spend getting their classrooms ready and materials together. To make the blanket statement of "Teachers have the whole summer off" is a misconception . Believe me I know....I taught for 27 years.

Give us an idea of the summer time commitment. Let's say you're off for 2.5 months. How many of those days will you be doing something school-related? Assume you do not have your Masters or your Rank I.

And many of us who work all year round are also working on advanced degrees as well.

Not to mention 50 to 60 hours a week (which some teachers may hit).

Some of us who are not teachers also make the decision to coach ... which just adds more hours.

At the end of the day ... everyone makes a decision to do what they are doing.

Teachers get the whole summer off, I refuse to feel bad for them for having to stay a few extra days.

While I do not think it is as cut and dry as your post makes it seem, there are a lot of perks (with the time off) of being a teacher. I am not sure what Kentucky requires for actual calendar days required where students are being taught, I would assume 180-190, or about half of a calendar year. With in-service days and these additional days tacked on, I am guessing that adds another 20 days (being generous with that number)? Not including weekends or personal days, that is still a big chunk off from work. Granted many teachers are very active with their profession and coach sports or take on extra-curricular activities which makes their job more demanding. And I am in no way trying to diminish the role of what teachers do. I could never do it and I have the greatest respect in the world for your service. But the bad is also offset by a lot of R&R compared to most professions.

I think many of us assume that teachers do nothing the entire summer. My sister is a teacher so I'm aware that that's not the case.

However, it's simply not good PR for teachers to complain about 3 extra days. It hurts the cause IMO.

I agree with you. Plenty of people see teaching as an 8-3 job, monday through friday, with 3 months off per year. It's not that simple. No teacher worth their weight only works 8-3 during the school year. You have homework to grade, after school events to work (and yes they are work), after school education, parent meetings, lesson planning, professional development, etc. Some schools also require home visits during the summer, which even if a teacher only goes to 25-30 kids is still going to take a big bite out of their summer.

Sure school may be out for the summer, but every teacher I know still has to go out to school during the break and work to get things ready for the next school year. People that act like teachers have so much time off couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not ever going to say it is the hardest profession out there, but people that act like the work that goes into it is a joke compared to other jobs is crazy to me. It may not be hard labor, but I would dare anyone who thinks teaching is easy to even substitute teach for a semester.

And many of us who work all year round are also working on advanced degrees as well.

Not to mention 50 to 60 hours a week (which some teachers may hit).

Some of us who are not teachers also make the decision to coach ... which just adds more hours.

At the end of the day ... everyone makes a decision to do what they are doing.

All that is fine and good but it is the thanklessness that gets me with people mad about teachers complaining about extra days. Teachers and schools provide students (everyone's kids) with the tools necessary for them to be able to decide what professions they want to go into as adults. Teaching goes beyond the school day because of all of the extra stuff that goes into it. Sure alot of other jobs are similar, such as being a doctor, but doctors also make alot more than teachers do. Sure, teachers chose their profession but the thanklessness that goes along with being a teacher is far worse than some teachers complaining they have to work extra (non-paid) days.