June 1, 201115 yr How long do teacher's have to get their masters? Isn't summer school and coaching extra income?
June 1, 201115 yr I think many of us assume that teachers do nothing the entire summer. My sister is a teacher so I'm aware that that's not the case. However, it's simply not good PR for teachers to complain about 3 extra days. It hurts the cause IMO. I agree. The two teachers I know both have Masters. So they are done with that part. School is out and yes they work about a week after that. However it's very casual. And after that week they are done until mid August. They are also off 3 days Thanksgiving week. At least 10 days over Christmas and New Years, and at least a week in the Spring. I am in no way saying there is anything wrong with this. It's the path they have chosen, and throw in a retirement that is unheard of in the private sector, it's a pretty good gig. Now, myself, I work in the private sector. Work at least 60 hrs a week, usually 6 days, phone is on 24/7, and recieve a lot less vacation time. However it is what I choose to do, so I'm good with it. But please, teachers whining about a little extra work will not hit home with me.
June 1, 201115 yr I may have missed it but I haven't seen any posts with teachers whining about the extra days.
June 1, 201115 yr I may have missed it but I haven't seen any posts with teachers whining about the extra days. Maybe I am guilty of assuming incorrectly that Football Addict, creator of the thread, is a teacher.
June 1, 201115 yr I may have missed it but I haven't seen any posts with teachers whining about the extra days. Did you read the 1st post?
June 1, 201115 yr Give us an idea of the summer time commitment. Let's say you're off for 2.5 months. How many of those days will you be doing something school-related? Assume you do not have your Masters or your Rank I. I'll go with my actual summer (not 2.5 months, never is for my school). My last official day for this year will be June 8th. I will likely work June 9th and 10th to finish up the work that I won't get to before then. This includes updating files, preparing summer purchase orders, chemistry lab work and general room cleanup/organization. The following week, I will begin work on lesson plans for a new course that I will teach next year. I won't work on it 8 hours a day, but I can imagine spending most of the mornings on it. For the week of June 20th-24th, all teachers in my school are attending an Advanced Placement conference in Louisville. Two of those days will count as professional development. The other three we are doing on our own - no pay, no credit. I will take June 27th - July 8th off for vacation. Starting July 11th (for the rest of the summer) I will have athletic department duties in the mornings (that I usually don't get paid for). In the afternoons I will continue work on lesson plans for the new course that I am teaching and will also have to update some lesson plans for existing courses. At the end of July or beginning of August, I will devote two days to working with our senior class on activities. Professional development starts for us on August the 8th and students return August 11th. FWIW, I am not complaining one bit. I love my job, even though I don't get nights and weekends free and even though I get tired of addressing the "but you get summers off!" comments. I make a difference in what I do and I am able to give back to my community.
June 1, 201115 yr Teachers get the whole summer off, I refuse to feel bad for them for having to stay a few extra days. For someone who gets pretty upset when people make stereotypical assumptions of police officers, you would think that you would refrain from doing it for other professions.
June 1, 201115 yr I'll go with my actual summer (not 2.5 months, never is for my school). My last official day for this year will be June 8th. I will likely work June 9th and 10th to finish up the work that I won't get to before then. This includes updating files, preparing summer purchase orders, chemistry lab work and general room cleanup/organization. The following week, I will begin work on lesson plans for a new course that I will teach next year. I won't work on it 8 hours a day, but I can imagine spending most of the mornings on it. For the week of June 20th-24th, all teachers in my school are attending an Advanced Placement conference in Louisville. Two of those days will count as professional development. The other three we are doing on our own - no pay, no credit. I will take June 27th - July 8th off for vacation. Starting July 11th (for the rest of the summer) I will have athletic department duties in the mornings (that I usually don't get paid for). In the afternoons I will continue work on lesson plans for the new course that I am teaching and will also have to update some lesson plans for existing courses. At the end of July or beginning of August, I will devote two days to working with our senior class on activities. Professional development starts for us on August the 8th and students return August 11th. FWIW, I am not complaining one bit. I love my job, even though I don't get nights and weekends free and even though I get tired of addressing the "but you get summers off!" comments. I make a difference in what I do and I am able to give back to my community. June 8th seems late. Did you guys have a lot of snow days? Also, do you consider your summer schedule to be typical?
June 1, 201115 yr For someone who gets pretty upset when people make stereotypical assumptions of police officers, you would think that you would refrain from doing it for other professions. Come on. I get upset when people automatically assume police abuse their power, or do something wrong. Not when they say they get alot of vacation time. Let's not pretend like they dont get alot of time off. I realize it's not an easy job. I admire what teachers do. I used to substitute and I have family who are teachers. I also have alot of friends who are teachers. Regardless of all that, teachers get a very long vacation every year in the summer. It's a perk, and they deserve it. But if they have to work a few extra days I'm not goin to feel sorry for them. I guarantee they get the normal vacation time and then some off.
June 1, 201115 yr Come on. I get upset when people automatically assume police abuse their power, or do something wrong. Not when they say they get alot of vacation time. Let's not pretend like they dont get alot of time off. I realize it's not an easy job. I admire what teachers do. I used to substitute and I have family who are teachers. I also have alot of friends who are teachers. Regardless of all that, teachers get a very long vacation every year in the summer. It's a perk, and they deserve it. But if they have to work a few extra days I'm not goin to feel sorry for them. I guarantee they get the normal vacation time and then some off. You are every bit as guilty with your assumption as are those that criticize police as a group that abuses their power. I used to be a substitute teacher, too, before I went full time. HUGE DIFFERENCE! As a substitute I DID have nights, weekends and summers off. As a regular teacher, not so much. As far as I know, no teacher is asking you to feel sorry for them. I don't know if Football Addict is a teacher or not, but I am sure he/she can speak for themselves.
June 1, 201115 yr June 8th seems late. Did you guys have a lot of snow days? Also, do you consider your summer schedule to be typical? Today was the last day for students. We did have a great deal of snow. That summer schedule is typical for me, except for the AP conference in June. I have attended other conferences and trainings, but not every summer. Lesson plan work is typical, as I don't have time during the school year to create lesson plans, only to make adjustments. It is not unusual for me to have to create plans for a brand new class or for one that I haven't taught in many years. I do consider my summer schedule typical for other teachers at my school. They all do similar things. I am unsure about others schools because I have never taught anywhere else, other than during my student teaching. I think this year that I might keep a log of the time and details for my typical school year. It would be good for my own reflection, if nothing else.
June 1, 201115 yr However, it's simply not good PR for teachers to complain about 3 extra days. It hurts the cause IMO. Winner
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.