Work Days for Teachers

Big K 61

I should clarify. General complaining from teachers doesn't help their cause because of perceptions.

Sometimes those perceptions are accurate & sometimes way off base. I have people VERY, VERY close to me in my family who teach & I highly respect what they do. At the same time, I nearly went into teaching & part of the appeal was the family-friendliness of the occupation (considerable time off in the summer, around two weeks for Christmas, at least half of Thanksgiving week off, some kind of Spring or Fall Break & sometimes both, every major holiday off, the general job protection of being tenured, very good health insurance plan).

Teachers have a very difficult task, but they also have some very nice perks as well.

I agree with everything here :thumb:.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it and agree. I'm just saying that when you're a teacher the perception (not reality) is that you don't do anything in the summer so mentioning the extra days just feeds the fire of those that have a misunderstanding.

I wish I had the chance to be part of the fraternity.

I understand. :thumb: But I don't listen to people who don't matter. :p

And you should join, every day is an adventure!!

Is it? Can a doctor or banker sit down at Applebee's and get a few drinks? In alot of places a teacher really can't do that, or at least it is very frowned upon.

I would say those same places would frown on a doctor or banker having a drink also. I doubt it happens very often at all where it's just the teachers frowned upon. I know of a CPA at a Big 8 (back then) accounting firm who was let go because he was seen on his riding lawn mower shirtless and having a beer while he cut. He lived way our of town but it didn't matter.

Teachers are probably the most important profession in our country. Without them, we would have an ignorant nation and we wouldn't be the great nation that we are. Yes, all the other professions are important (cops, doctors, etc.), but we need teachers for those cops and doctors to become cops and doctors. I'm not a teacher but have family members and friends who are, and they work their butts off! HB20, you ought to walk in their shoes for a few years and I think you would more fully appreciate what they do. Thank a teacher for providing you with learning opportunities and helping you grow as an individual. Without your education, your world would be completely different. Thank you teachers for a job well done and enjoy your days off (however many there may be) because you have earned it.

Teachers are probably the most important profession in our country. Without them, we would have an ignorant nation and we wouldn't be the great nation that we are. Yes, all the other professions are important (cops, doctors, etc.), but we need teachers for those cops and doctors to become cops and doctors. I'm not a teacher but have family members and friends who are, and they work their butts off! HB20, you ought to walk in their shoes for a few years and I think you would more fully appreciate what they do. Thank a teacher for providing you with learning opportunities and helping you grow as an individual. Without your education, your world would be completely different. Thank you teachers for a job well done and enjoy your days off (however many there may be) because you have earned it.

Good God did you read any of my posts or did you just assume that since I disagreed with some teachers about some topics regarding teaching that I dont appreciate teachers? Go read my posts and get back to me.

I love how I've become a "bad guy" here because ive said teachers get plenty of time off. Everyone ignores the parts of my posts where I've stated "I appreciate you and what you do", or "teachers deserve the time off". :lol: I hope that some of you can be taught to read things in their entirety before making snap judgements.

Good God did you read any of my posts or did you just assume that since I disagreed with some teachers about some topics regarding teaching that I dont appreciate teachers? Go read my posts and get back to me.

I love how I've become a "bad guy" here because ive said teachers get plenty of time off. Everyone ignores the parts of my posts where I've stated "I appreciate you and what you do", or "teachers deserve the time off". :lol: I hope that some of you can be taught to read things in their entirety before making snap judgements.

I read all of your posts. Most of them are, "good job but............"

I read all of your posts. Most of them are, "good job but............"

Good job but what, exactly?

If you read them I'm not sure how you came up with your last post. I've said here basically that A.) teachers get plenty of time off (summers, holidays etc), and being a teacher isn't necessarily the same as being "on call" IMO. Im fine with people disagreeing with me, but some of you act like I've flat out insulted teachers.

If you read my post you'd know that I have family that are teachers, and very close friends who are teachers now and my two best friends are about to become teachers. I have nothing but respect for teachers and (like I've already said, bit this part is always ignored) I admire teachers.

Teachers get the whole summer off, I refuse to feel bad for them for having to stay a few extra days.

HB this is your first post in this thread. With a post like this, ( that is mis-informed by the way) You should expect to take some heat from other posters.

All that is fine and good but it is the thanklessness that gets me with people mad about teachers complaining about extra days. Teachers and schools provide students (everyone's kids) with the tools necessary for them to be able to decide what professions they want to go into as adults. Teaching goes beyond the school day because of all of the extra stuff that goes into it. Sure alot of other jobs are similar, such as being a doctor, but doctors also make alot more than teachers do. Sure, teachers chose their profession but the thanklessness that goes along with being a teacher is far worse than some teachers complaining they have to work extra (non-paid) days.

Thanklessness? Please ....

I understand why you would say that .... but trust me ... the plight of the "thankless" teacher gets much more attention than the average joe on the street who works for the Post Office or A Bank.

At the very least ... a teacher has the opportunity to feel personal satisfaction on a daily basis (which is what a good job is about).

How many jobs provide that possibility on a daily basis? Very few.

At the end of the day ... I am 100% sure that the purpose of having a job isn't to draw attention to ones self.

It is to pay the bills. If you can find something that you love to do, feel personal satisifaction (regardless of whether you are getting a pat on the back) and can support yourself/and help support your family ... are you doing pretty freaking good. Especially now-a-days.

This comes from someone who works with teachers/educators on a daily basis--and has a great appreciation for the work that they do.

But let me tell you this ... on the surface--my salary is more than the average teacher. But ... I may get one day off a week ... and I average 9 to 10 hours a day---including at least one weekend day a week--year around. And the overwhelming majority of people that I have met are in the same boat with me.

Teachers need to admit that they have a pretty good gig.

It is hard to keep a high level of respect for things when people can't admit that they have things better than most.

Thanklessness? Please ....

I understand why you would say that .... but trust me ... the plight of the "thankless" teacher gets much more attention than the average joe on the street who works for the Post Office or A Bank.

At the very least ... a teacher has the opportunity to feel personal satisfaction on a daily basis (which is what a good job is about).

How many jobs provide that possibility on a daily basis? Very few.

At the end of the day ... I am 100% sure that the purpose of having a job isn't to draw attention to ones self.

It is to pay the bills. If you can find something that you love to do, feel personal satisifaction (regardless of whether you are getting a pat on the back) and can support yourself/and help support your family ... are you doing pretty freaking good. Especially now-a-days.

This comes from someone who works with teachers/educators on a daily basis--and has a great appreciation for the work that they do.

But let me tell you this ... on the surface--my salary is more than the average teacher. But ... I may get one day off a week ... and I average 9 to 10 hours a day---including at least one weekend day a week--year around. And the overwhelming majority of people that I have met are in the same boat with me.

Teachers need to admit that they have a pretty good gig.

It is hard to keep a high level of respect for things when people can't admit that they have things better than most.

I feel that the hardwork teachers put in has been belittled in this thread. That is thankless to me. Sure teachers have a pretty good gig, but that doesn't mean we can't get offended when we feel someone is talking down on our profession. At the very end in the bolded is exactly what I'm talking about. How do you measure that? For a professional job teaching is a relatively low to average pay to go along with a favorable work schedule. To me that is a trade off, its not that teachers have it so much better than other professionals. Don't get me wrong I love the profession I have chosen, but for people to write it off as easier than other people's jobs infuriates me.

I feel that the hardwork teachers put in has been belittled in this thread. That is thankless to me. Sure teachers have a pretty good gig, but that doesn't mean we can't get offended when we feel someone is talking down on our profession. At the very end in the bolded is exactly what I'm talking about. How do you measure that? For a professional job teaching is a relatively low to average pay to go along with a favorable work schedule. To me that is a trade off, its not that teachers have it so much better than other professionals. Don't get me wrong I love the profession I have chosen, but for people to write it off as easier than other people's jobs infuriates me.

No it isn't. The avg pay for teachers in KY is about $42,000. In 2009 the median household income for KY was barely over $40,000 so the avg teachers pay is already above the median household income. When you take into account that teachers salary is based on a 180 day contract it slants even more in the favor of the teachers. Private sector pay is based on a 260 day year.

So $42,000 for a teachers contract would would calculate out to just over $60,000 over a 260 day contract.

I know of very, very few professions that require continuing educational requirements to not just advance, but keep your job, and doesn't reimburse you for the costs of those.

There are plenty of professions that require a high level of education such as as masters or even phd. The difference is a teacher is allowed to begin working in their profession and then work towards their masters where many private sector jobs require the masters up front. And I don't know anyone that got a job and their new employer paid them for all of their education expenses. So to be there is no difference, teachers get it later, private sector gets it prior. Both knew going in what would be required of them.

No it isn't. The avg pay for teachers in KY is about $42,000. In 2009 the median household income for KY was barely over $40,000 so the avg teachers pay is already above the median household income. When you take into account that teachers salary is based on a 180 day contract it slants even more in the favor of the teachers. Private sector pay is based on a 260 day year.

So $42,000 for a teachers contract would would calculate out to just over $60,000 over a 260 day contract.

I said professional jobs, but meant jobs that required a four year degree and masters degree. If you take that into account, what would the medium income be? And we have already established that teachers work more than 180 days haven't we? I guess grading papers and tests on the weekends do not count? Don't let the 180 days fool you, plenty of teachers probably work 220+ days per year.