Nike Hoops Summit 2011

SportsGuy41017

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the game in its entirety. Davis, Gilchrist, & Rivers had the best games for the U.S. Davis just comes across as being on a different level from all the other players as far as physical attributes go. He's a shot-blocking machine & is sure to break UK's single season blocked shots record, which is 83 (shared by Andre Riddick & the late Dinner Bell Mel).

I'm not sure UK has had a player quite like Gilchrist, who really does excel at doing a lot of different things well (except shoot free throws). There are times when he plays a lot bigger than his size & times when he plays a lot smaller. I'm thinking that by the time he leaves Lexington, he'll be in a category of adoration alongside the Chuck Hayes & Patrick Patterson types.

Austin Rivers knows how to score. I know people are on him about not distributing the ball, but his obvious gifts are primarily at scoring. Surprised at how well he's able to drive the basketball and score. His outside shot is silky smooth & he'll go down as yet another Duke player that I'll hate.

Somewhat concerned about Teague, as he has not been impressive in either the McD's game or the Summit game. You can see he definitely has skills, but Cal's going to have to work on him about just making the play instead of trying to make the highlight reel. Will have to do this much more with Teague than he ever did with Wall or Bledsoe IMO.

Wiltjer did not have his greatest game, but the kid will be a very solid player for the Cats. Has a nice outside stroke to go along with a nifty little hook shot he utilizes quite well (even though he missed both hook shot attempts).

As far as the other U.S. players, it was the first time I was ever able to see Brad Beal. I think this kid, perhaps more than any other than Davis, has the potential to be an absolute star. Love his body & athleticism. Florida loses a lot of frontcourt power, but their backcourt is going to be nasty with the addition of Beal.

Tony Wroten was a pleasant surprise as well. Like Teague, he wants to sometimes make the flashy play, but he sees the floor well & seems to manage the PG position quite well.

I'm not too worried about Teague. As quick as he is with the basketball, along with his handles and his solid court vision, he'll be fine. Once he's running a more complex offense I think we'll see him succeed.

That is exactly why he should excel in the all star games. Running a half court offense isn't his strength...

That is exactly why he should excel in the all star games. Running a half court offense isn't his strength...

But running a well coached fast break or transition game is going to be much easier than what it is in an all-star game....

But running a well coached fast break or transition game is going to be much easier than what it is in an all-star game....

You're reaching. I don't think it is a big deal that he hasn't played well, but the reality is those settings are what suits his game the best. It's still two events where he should have been at his best but didn't answer the challenge...

You're reaching. I don't think it is a big deal that he hasn't played well, but the reality is those settings are what suits his game the best. It's still two events where he should have been at his best but didn't answer the challenge...

Didn't get to see much of Davis and his mid-range game or outside shot in general. Was wondering what his abilities are in those areas. Was very impressed with how he handles the ball.

And Brad Beal, to me, seems much more mature than his age--speaking of physical maturity. He's going to be a fun, fun player to watch during his time at Florida.

Didn't get to see much of Davis and his mid-range game or outside shot in general. Was wondering what his abilities are in those areas. Was very impressed with how he handles the ball.

And Brad Beal, to me, seems much more mature than his age--speaking of physical maturity. He's going to be a fun, fun player to watch during his time at Florida.

He can shoot at a high clip all the way out to 23 feet. Just another of the guard skills he retained after the growth spurt.

Beal is big time, and have been saying so since the first time I saw him. Only worry for him is that Boyton and Walker aren't exactly known for sharing the ball...

Beal is big time, and have been saying so since the first time I saw him. Only worry for him is that Boyton and Walker aren't exactly known for sharing the ball...

If memory serves me correctly, neither is Rosario....Florida may boast the most talented backcourt in the game next season. Too bad there won't be enough basketballs to go around.

If memory serves me correctly, neither is Rosario....Florida may boast the most talented backcourt in the game next season. Too bad there won't be enough basketballs to go around.

Or anyone on the frontcourt to rebound and pass it to them.

I think Young will improve greatly next year, but outside of him there's not much in the Gator frontcourt.

I think you'll see a three guard lineup out of the Gators in Walker, Boynton, then Beal. Then with Young at PF, and whoever at the 5, thats still a pretty formidable lineup right there, especially with Rosario and Wilbekin (sp?) off the bench.