Nike Hoops Summit 2011

SportsGuy41017

No issues with him at all, I mentioend some of what was going on with him in other posts in this thread. Both of his parents went to college and they are doing well for a Serbian family, and they would prefer he goes to college.

He will not get over here until mid August as he will be playing on his national team for the European Championships in July, I really like how the kids over there are so involved with playing for their national teams! It's HUGE over there! So he will not miss that at all, but he will get his share of offers. More will come out about him soon.

Not saying he is, or ever would be in talks with UK, but that is one thing as a fan base that I've always liked about our fans. It's just seemed like we've always really really embraced foreign players and I think that's saying alot when you think about UK's history. I didn't even think about this until I had already thought up a response, started typing and then realized; ENES KANTER, lol perfect example.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying he is, or ever would be in talks with UK, but that is one thing as a fan base that I've always liked about our fans. It's just seemed like we've always really really embraced foreign players and I think that's saying alot when you think about UK's history. I didn't even think about this until I had already thought up a response, started typing and then realized; ENES KANTER, lol perfect example.
I am sure UK will give him some more looks, I'm just not sure he would fit in at UK. But players that are at the Hoops Summit this weekend that I think would work at UK are Ponitka, and 16 year old Saric. I am not sure if Biyombo has an agent or an advisor and if he is getting paid yet, he was supposed to be on the junior team but moved to the senior team (pro team) of the club only three months ago, but I really think he will stay in the draft and go mid first round. Nogueira would be another player to fit in at UK.

UC probably has the best chance at getting Ponitka and Karnowski.

Game is at 10PM eastern time on FSN, and FIBA will be carrying the game live over the net, you have to sign up first at the FIBATV.com site, but it's free!

You all will enjoy Pangos, he reminds me a lot of Justice at UL! But the player who will run the World team is Ponitka from Poland, UC is a school he is strongly considering. Biyombo has been impressing everyone! He has the intensity and plays very well on D and should really impress you in the game! Norueiga has a lot of speed for his size, Karnowski is just huge! But he is getting better and will be a good pick up next year for some college, UC is in the running for him too. Bertans is the World's best 3-point shooter (which is saying a lot as Ponitka is very good!), But Bertans usually has a lot of turnovers. Fournier is a very good offensive player who can drive and shoot well behind the arch. I think you will like Saric too, just turned 17 years old, so he will be back next year too! He really likes to drive the ball and can shoot. You know about Wiltjer, and I do not know anything about the other two players.

I mentioned Saric playing again next year, other players I see who may make the World team next year will be Miljenovic and Bezbradica from Serbia, with an outside shot that Cvetkovic from Serbia will make it too. Len from Ukraine, Fernandaz from Spain, Parovic from Montenegro. And it wouldn't surprise me if one of these players would make it as well: Dusan Ristic, Mario Hezonja, Agustí Sans, Adam Pechacek, Aleksej Nikolic, and Edvinas Seskus, they are a bit younger but could end up being like Saric and play two years, but again, we are a year away.

According to J. Demling:

The four University of Kentucky men’s basketball signees will participate in tonight’s Nike Hoop Summit in Portland.

The game – played at 10 p.m. EDT on Fox Sports Network – is played each year under international rules and features the USA Men’s Junior National team against a World Select Team.

Indianapolis Pike guard Marquis Teague, Chicago Perspectives forward Anthony Davis and Elizabeth, N.J., St. Patrick forward Michael Gilchrist are the three UK signees on the U.S. team, which has 10 players on the squad.

“It’s a lot of fun to be together with these guys and build some chemistry,” Teague said last week during the McDonald’s All-American festivities.

The fourth UK signee - Kyle Wiltjer of Portland - is playing for the World Team. Wiltjer’s father, Greg, played for the 1984 Canadian National team.

Sportsguy what the heck do you do for a living if you don't mind sharing? Are you out at this game?
LOL! Well, I do a few things basketball related. About 13 months ago I started to work with FIBA, and I spent about 5 weeks last summer working the FIBA u17 World Championships in Hamburg Germany, I was assigned to the Serbian team as my main job, but all 12 world teams stayed at the same hotel and I got to know a lot of the players. I got to know A LOT of other players from Europe through these players and through FIBA. I'll be back in Europe again this summer, most likely working the FIBA U19 WC in Latvia, and one of the European Championships, either the u16 or u18.

On the world team I know Karnowski and Ponitka from Poland, Pangos from Canada, Saric from Croatia, Fornier from France. Then through their Nike Hoops roommates that I do know, I am starting to know Biyombo and Nogueira. But, the ones I talk pretty much every week or two are the first 4 listed. So I get updates from some of the players on what is going on out there.

I was going to be in Portland IF Miljenovic's club team in Serbia, FMP, would have allowed him to come over. But, now that he turned 18 yesterday and his "agreement" with the club is over, he has a two week waiting period and he can do whatever he wants, one thing he is seriously thinking about is coming to the US for a year of HS before he goes on the college in the US.

So, if you see someone aroun NKY with a FIBA shirt on, or a shirt from some European country's national basketball team, it's probably me. :sssh:

LOL! Well, I do a few things basketball related. About 13 months ago I started working with FIBA, and I spent about 5 weeks last summer working the FIBA u17 World Championships in Hamburg Germany, I was assigned to the Serbian team as my main job, but all 12 world teams stayed at the same hotel and I got to know a lot of the players. I got to know A LOT of other players from Europe through these players and through FIBA.

On the world team I know Karnowski and Ponitka from Poland, Pangos from Canada, Saric from Croatia, Fornier from France. Then through their Nike Hoops roommates that I do know, I am starting to know Biyombo and Nogueira. But, the ones I talk pretty much every week or two are the first 4 listed. So I get updates from some of the players on what is going on out there.

I was going to be in Portland IF Miljenovic's club team in Serbia, FMP, would have allowed him to come over. But, now that he turned 18 yesterday and his "agreement" with the club is over, he has a two week waiting period and he can do whatever he wants, one thing he is seriously thinking about is coming to the US for a year of HS before he goes on the college in the US.

That's awesome man. What a great job :thumb:. I"ve always hoped I could some how break into something like that, though I'd want to work something with college football. Keep up the good work.

That's awesome man. What a great job :thumb:. I"ve always hoped I could some how break into something like that, though I'd want to work something with college football. Keep up the good work.
It helps being single, lol. I am already asking myself how long I want to be over there this summer, as I already made one trip this winter, mostly in Serbia.

I also have some things going on in Bucharest Romania, speaking of football, they have an American football team there, it's just amateur stuff but they have a whole amateur league in Europe on top of the pro teams. They asked if I wanted to help, or even play, lol. I just don't have that much time when I'm over there to do anything. Maybe contact the NFL to help you find an EFAF team to work with?

Some reports I have read has said that Wiltjer has been daggone impressive thus far.

I love watching clips of him. He appears to be fundamentally sound and his up and under moves and hook shot are refreshing.

I turned to FSS and the Guide says "Nike Hoops Summit", but there's a hockey game on instead. It's 10:15 now. Is there another channel this game is on?

Well I'm having some similar issues except my Fox Sports is completely knocked out. Out of all the channels I could have lost today during the storm Fox Sports had to be the only one. Tried to go to the FIBA site to watch but thats not working either. Starting to get very frustrated.