Do you call the grocery store "Kroger" or "Kroger's"?

leatherneck

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine from outside the area recently heard me say something about Kroger's. He asked me why I mispronounced the name of the store, since it's named Kroger. I told him technically he is correct, but that since the founder, Barney Kroger, was a native of Cincinnati and N. Ky., people in the area originally referred to the the store as Kroger's, as in "I'm going to Barney Kroger's store", and calling the store Kroger's has been handed down generation to generation by people in the Cincinnati area.

What people call the store is one of the easy indicators that I use to determine if people are native to the Cincinnati area. It's not 100% accurate, but it seems pretty close. Another indicator is when I'm asked if I'm from the west side or the east side. I'm pretty certain that the person asking the question is a Cincinnati native. When I say I'm from N. Ky. and they frown and say Ky football stinks, then I'm sure the person asking the question is a native of Cincinnati. :D

I can buy into that, to a degree. However, the tendency of hillbillies is to add an 's' where one doesn't belong. Folks say "I'm going to Kroger's" no more often than they go to "Meijer's" or "Wal-Marts" or "Best Buys" in Northern Kentucky, at least from my experiences living there many years.

I can buy into that, to a degree. However, the tendency of hillbillies is to add an 's' where one doesn't belong. Folks say "I'm going to Kroger's" no more often than they go to "Meijer's" or "Wal-Marts" or "Best Buys" in Northern Kentucky, at least from my experiences living there many years.
I agree with this and am guilty of it a lot.

I guess I'm not a hillbilly then.:D I go to Meijer, WalMart and Best Buy. Never added an apostrophe S to those stores.