Enes Kanter appeal

SportsGuy41017

Agreed (about $10,000 of the $30,000 in contention, IIRC). And that money hasn't' been used, and has been offered to be repaid. In similar situations (Josh Selby), the NCAA has suspended the person a number of games and required the money to be paid back. Thats all anyone is expecting. To rule Enes permanently ineligible seems to fly in the face of past precedents. If other players had been ruled permanently ineligible in the past, nobody would have an argument.

This case seems even more open to leniency since the player and family intended to follow the rules, where other cases the guilty parties have taken money knowing it was not allowed.

I definitely agree.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if the private/boarding school gives them more money than the allowable amount(room and boarding) and it can be proven that they gave more than the allowable amount(room and boarding).

Right, since I am sure that doesn't happen.

Never said it doesn't happen. The key word I used was 'proven'.

Not if the private/boarding school gives them more money than the allowable amount(room and boarding) and it can be proven that they gave more than the allowable amount(room and boarding).
And when the Tuition is also covered? As a lot of these good players in U.S. boarding schools do not have to pay one dime for anything, room board or tuition.

But again, the extra money was not spent in Kanter's case and the family tried to give it back. Extra money was given maybe to be sure that the room, board and tuition will be covered.

If I wanted to give you money, and have proof I gave it to you but you refused, how would I make you take the money back if you did not want it?

I wonder what detailed records Selby kept of the over 5 grand that allowed him to be eligible. :rolleyes:

Here you have a kid and his family that tried to do everything right, and kept records to prove it! They didn't understand the NCAA rules, Heck, none of us even understand how they are interpreted by the NCAA! The Kanter's did not deliberately do anything wrong, NO ONE can say that about Selby! EVERY kid knows you cannot take money from an agent, but he did, and it was deliberate! And he doesn't even have to pay that money back himself, KU is able to do it for him?

Also, does anyone honestly believe that Rev Newton started shopping around his son around recently? I wonder what he asked from Florida a few years ago?

That is my biggest problem with the whole thing. It just seems like the NCAA rulings in these matters are completely arbitrary. They lack consistency. It seems contradictory to allow what they did with Selby after ruling Kanter permanently ineligible.

Kanter - We all know the details of this by now.

Selby - Accepted money from an agent, KU pays it back, good to go.

Cam Newton - He and Auburn didn't know anything about what Cecil Newton was up to, so they cannot be punished for it.

Derrick Rose - Rose is cleared to play by the NCAA. Memphis finishes as National Runner-Up. They are later forced to vacate the Final Four, because the NCAA decides after Rose is in the NBA that he wasn't eligible.

Corey Maggette - The following is the NCAA's explanation for this one...

"Our executive regulations specify that if an individual plays while ineligible in the NCAA championships, we can either vacate the team's participation in the championship and/or assess a fine for the money that they received. The standard for that is whether either the institution knew or should have known that Maggette was ineligible or if Maggette himself knew that -- or should have known that he was ineligible. After a lengthy investigation, we came to the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to determine that Maggette knew or should have known, and we believe firmly that the institution did not know and should not have known."

It's ridiculous. Its not the rules, but the NCAA's random enforcement of them that has me, and I believe most others, scratching our heads.

That is my biggest problem with the whole thing. It just seems like the NCAA rulings in these matters are completely arbitrary. They lack consistency. It seems contradictory to allow what they did with Selby after ruling Kanter permanently ineligible.

Cam Newton - He and Auburn didn't know anything about what Cecil Newton was up to, so they cannot be punished for it.

Derrick Rose - Rose is cleared to play by the NCAA. Memphis finishes as National Runner-Up. They are later forced to vacate the Final Four, because the NCAA decides after Rose is in the NBA that he wasn't eligible.

"Our executive regulations specify that if an individual plays while ineligible in the NCAA championships, we can either vacate the team's participation in the championship and/or assess a fine for the money that they received. The standard for that is whether either the institution knew or should have known that Maggette was ineligible or if Maggette himself knew that -- or should have known that he was ineligible. After a lengthy investigation, we came to the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to determine that Maggette knew or should have known, and we believe firmly that the institution did not know and should not have known."

It's ridiculous. Its not the rules, but the NCAA's random enforcement of them that has me, and I believe most others, scratching our heads.

Not to mention they told USC that the parent is the child in regards to Reggie. If the parents take money/benefits then that goes on the kid. Yet with Newton that isn't he case.

I agree.

For the record, my earlier post was not meant to imply that Kanter was knowingly doing the wrong thing. I truly believe he and his family had every intention on keeping his amateur status. I simply believe that a rule was broken and a fit punishment should be handed down. If the NCAA declared Selby elligible, Kanter should aslo be elligible. However, by rule, I don't believe either should be playing.

I use the word "rule" loosely because that word seems to mean nothing to the NCAA.

# KySportsRadio

UK has to ask permission from NCAA to submit new info as Appeals Committee cannot consider new info...THEN that info goes to Appeals Board 6 minutes ago via web

# Matt Jones KySportsRadio

BREAKING NEWS: UK has asked NCAA for more time to submit new information on Enes Kanter eligibility

# KySportsRadio

UK has to ask permission from NCAA to submit new info as Appeals Committee cannot consider new info...THEN that info goes to Appeals Board 6 minutes ago via web

# Matt Jones KySportsRadio

BREAKING NEWS: UK has asked NCAA for more time to submit new information on Enes Kanter eligibility

Sounds strange and almost desperate.