NFL's Devistating hits?? Whats your take?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am afraid for NFL guys. The league has changed so much over the last 10 years it's crazy. LB's now run like CBs, Safeties are almost the size of TEs. I really worry that someone is going to get killed on an NFL field, I actually thought Desean Jackson might have been on Sunday. He had to be knocked out because he didn't move.

I think maybe the NFL should widen the hashes a little bit. I saw someone talking about how that affects the speed of the NFL game because it makes both sides of the field seem really wide. I think that creates more open space, which allows players to go faster and faster leading to some nasty hits and unspeakable pain. This probably wouldn't help a whole lot, but anything to provide more safety would be great.

I ordered the Redzone package last week and saw most of the hits as they occured and the only one I'd list as malicious was the Merriweather hit on Heap. He clearly intended to knock Heap out of the game. The Robinson hit on DJax was vicious but he led with the shoulder. The hit by Ward against Shipley also comes to mind, that was malicious.

:thumb:

I've always found it fascinating that the UFC (MMA) was considered barbaric and dangerous, while boxing and football was glorified. I watch both MMA and the NFL on a regular basis, and I think the NFL is just as brutal, and probably more dangerous. You typically don't see a guy get suckerpunched in fighting, which is what a hit on a defenseless receiver is the equivalent of.

Back in the "no rules" old days of MMA when you might have a 175-pound guy in there with a 400-pounder, it was indeed pretty darned dangerous (I'm not willing to use the term "barbaric" so easily, however). Wasn't that why it was changed in the first place to where guys can't sit on top of another guy and just wail away on his opponent?

I ordered the Redzone package last week and saw most of the hits as they occured and the only one I'd list as malicious was the Merriweather hit on Heap. He clearly intended to knock Heap out of the game. The Robinson hit on DJax was vicious but he led with the shoulder. The hit by Ward against Shipley also comes to mind, that was malicious.

I think the guys today are making a lot of money and want to enjoy it after they retire without daily headaches or worse.

I am afraid for NFL guys. The league has changed so much over the last 10 years it's crazy. LB's now run like CBs, Safeties are almost the size of TEs. I really worry that someone is going to get killed on an NFL field, I actually thought Desean Jackson might have been on Sunday. He had to be knocked out because he didn't move.

I think maybe the NFL should widen the hashes a little bit. I saw someone talking about how that affects the speed of the NFL game because it makes both sides of the field seem really wide. I think that creates more open space, which allows players to go faster and faster leading to some nasty hits and unspeakable pain. This probably wouldn't help a whole lot, but anything to provide more safety would be great.

Chris Carter said widen the field if you want to eliminate these hits, or at least cut down on them.

I think that Goodell and crew pay too much attention to talk radio. If there is outcry, there will be rulings. It seems to get more and more gray.

Maybe they're paying attention to the studies of the brain damage these guys suffer. Maybe they got the results from Chris Henry's brain and stood back to try to figure out a way to make it safer. Maybe they saw that college kid from Penn commit suicide b/c of brain injuries associated with football. Hopefully they're looking at people like Justin Strzelczyk the ex Steelers player that had brain damage and commited suicide. In fact there are 3 ex Steelers who have all been linked to suicide b/c of brain injuries associated with playing football. Is that not important? We are learning that these guys can't cope with all these head injuries.

Both of Harrison's hits looks like he was trying to kill the guys. Merriweather's was pretty bad too but I didn't think Robinson had the intent to kill Desean Jackson especially since, if you watch the replay, he hit him in the shoulder area. I don't know about you guys, but if he's going to hit me over the middle I'd rather be hit in the shoulder area then right in the stomach or down by the knees going as fast as they were at each other. Just because he drilled the hell out of Jackson doesn't mean he should get fined. I would have done the same thing if I was Robinson; hit him in the pads.

Neither should be suspended this time, but going forward the types of hits that Harrison and Merriweather handed out should definitely warrant suspensions. I liked the idea of ejection from the current game and potential suspension following.

If they were going to do immediate ejections I'd say a replay would have to viewed before ejecting a player from a game. These guys are so fast that sometimes the refs may mistake a hit in with a hit to the chest/shoulder just like the Robinson hit. If I was on the field during that hit and had one look at that I wouldn't have a clue if he hit him in the head or the shoulder or what kind of intent the player had, which is completely subjective, but could be determined for the most part with instant replay.

Both of Harrison's hits looks like he was trying to kill the guys. Merriweather's was pretty bad too but I didn't think Robinson had the intent to kill Desean Jackson especially since, if you watch the replay, he hit him in the shoulder area. I don't know about you guys, but if he's going to hit me over the middle I'd rather be hit in the shoulder area then right in the stomach or down by the knees going as fast as they were at each other. Just because he drilled the hell out of Jackson doesn't mean he should get fined. I would have done the same thing if I was Robinson; hit him in the pads.

That's the catch 22 here. If I was a player I'd rather get hit in the chest or shoulders than in the knees.