NFL's Devistating hits?? Whats your take?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was shocked to hear Steve Young blame these hits on the abundance of incompetent QB's in the NFL. He claims they have no idea how to read defenses and they lead their receivers into these viscous hits. T. Dilfer responded by saying that the defenses have gotten much more sophisticated since Young played and Young would also have trouble reading D's in today's games. I think these players (all) should be required to wear mouth pieces. Mouth pieces greatly reduce concussions. Most players don't even bother to wear them. Shocking.

The NFL is a product and if it thinks it's product is getting too vicious for it's audience then by all means they can make whatever changes they deem necessary. The NFL is the most image-conscious of the pro sports leagues.

I'm into good hard hits but some of those this weekend were tough to watch.

I'll reserve judgment until I see exactly what type of hit is going to warrant a suspension. There needs to be very clear definition.

What hits this weekend were "devastating" enough to warrant suspension? The Harrison hits on Cribbs and Massaquoi? Meriweather hitting heap? Desean Jackson getting knocked out? Seahawks punter Jon Ryan getting blindsided?

I just need to see the line before I can say I'm 100% for or against it. If the intent is not obvious (as the Meriweather hit appears to be), I think it'd be wrong to suspend a player.

The NFL is a product and if it thinks it's product is getting too vicious for it's audience then by all means they can make whatever changes they deem necessary. The NFL is the most image-conscious of the pro sports leagues.

I'm into good hard hits but some of those this weekend were tough to watch.

That hit by Dunta Robinson on DeSean Jackson was really tough to watch. I had to quit watching the replay.

I also had to quit watching the replay last night when Vince Young got his knee twisted...I figured Vince was done for the season when I saw the play.

I was shocked to hear Steve Young blame these hits on the abundance of incompetent QB's in the NFL. He claims they have no idea how to read defenses and they lead their receivers into these viscous hits. T. Dilfer responded by saying that the defenses have gotten much more sophisticated since Young played and Young would also have trouble reading D's in today's games. I think these players (all) should be required to wear mouth pieces. Mouth pieces greatly reduce concussions. Most players don't even bother to wear them. Shocking.

QB throwdown...Steve Young vs. Trent Dilfer...both guys won one Super Bowl as a starting QB, right? :lol:

I think it might be a combination of both to be honest, but I'd probably side a little more with Dilfer in this argument. But, there's a lot of factors...free agency has created less continuity, so you don't have situations like Young and Aikman enjoyed where they locked up their offense and had a lot of the same guys around them the entire time they played. Coaching changes are much more frequent, so guys are constantly having to learn new systems and that takes time no matter who you are. And, certainly, defenses are more creative and athletic.

Did ESPN get rid of the "jacked up" segment? If so how long ago?

I agree with Clyde. If the NFL wants to make a stand good for them. It's barbaric that we as fans enjoy the life changing hits.

It is the same thing as watching as watching Mike Tyson's old fights when he was destroying people. We want to see see the knockouts and big hits.

With the size and strength of these guys, going after someones head can be career ending and even life threatening.

Accidentally hitting someone in the head, player headed for their chest and the person crunches down and gets hit in the head is, IMO, part of the game, and is different then these launches for someones head. I don't remember which one, but there was one of these I thought fit into that category.

The blindside block in the Bears / Seahawks game was a hard legal hit in the middle of the action.

A couple of the other were, IMO, attacks.

If you take off like a guided missle and lead with the helmet, suspension of 2 games for first offense. Four games for second offense.

That'll stop it.

If folks have so much bloodlust that they want to see these hits continued, there's always MMA, or whatever that sport is where one guy "mounts" the other guy.

It is the same thing as watching as watching Mike Tyson's old fights when he was destroying people. We want to see see the knockouts and big hits.

:thumb:

I've always found it fascinating that the UFC (MMA) was considered barbaric and dangerous, while boxing and football was glorified. I watch both MMA and the NFL on a regular basis, and I think the NFL is just as brutal, and probably more dangerous. You typically don't see a guy get suckerpunched in fighting, which is what a hit on a defenseless receiver is the equivalent of.

With the size and strength of these guys, going after someones head can be career ending and even life threatening.

Accidentally hitting someone in the head, player headed for their chest and the person crunches down and gets hit in the head is, IMO, part of the game, and is different then these launches for someones head. I don't remember which one, but there was one of these I thought fit into that category.

The blindside block in the Bears / Seahawks game was a hard legal hit in the middle of the action.

A couple of the other were, IMO, attacks.

I agree. It almost seems like on many of these plays there is no attempt to tackle (ie: wrap up, bring to the ground, etc.), it's simply a "missile launch". Players are too big, too strong and too fast for that to be allowed to happen with regularity.

The problem, that I see, is that they're going to have to put some severe punishment associated with it. Yeah, a penalty here and there can help a team win a game...but a fine of 5, 10 or even 25K is a drop in the bucket to these guys. You want to get their attention, start suspending them. Maybe it's a two game suspension to start with (first time offenders)...next time it's four games...and next time you're out of the league.

Yes, the players are big boys. But, big boys can learn too. They've already done it with the facemask and horsecollars, which in my opinion are not as career threatening as some of these headhunter hits.

Harrison hit was fined 75 grand. He got more for a repeat offender.

Meriweather was fined 50 grand. his hit was the only one I thought was a clear shot of a player going for a player's head.

I know this will be the homer angle, but Fisher is the co-chair of the competition committee and he cried wolf on the flip/tackle of VY in their game this year, which I also thought was baloney. So, Harrison was a repeat offender from a hit that neither drew a flag with the referee standing not 10 feet from the play nor had the whistle blown. If they continue down this path with the softening of the game, only fantasy guys will be watching.