NFL's Devistating hits?? Whats your take?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's put the nascar drivers in bumper cars, the hockey players on foot with hockey sticks and nerf balls, and by all means, the UFC has got to go, lest we have a suicide.

Wait, let's put governors on all automobiles so we can all drive 30 mph in those gawd awful rollerskate cars that get 65mpg. But there can't be any pedestrians, because you may still get plunked by one of those fuel efficient roller skates and end up with a head injury, contemplate suicide, and Toyota would be sued.

Oh, the paranoia. By the way, where's my friggin' oxygen tent?

It's 2010. We now know that head injuries in football are a far bigger problem b/c science has proven it. The rules so far are good and getting better. I'm all for improving the rules even if it makes "fans" think the entertainment value drops. By the way hasn't Nascar drastically changed rules because of safety after Dale E died? They probably should have changed that rule BEFORE he died. Just saying.

It's 2010. We now know that head injuries in football are a far bigger problem b/c science has proven it. The rules so far are good and getting better. I'm all for improving the rules even if it makes "fans" think the entertainment value drops. By the way hasn't Nascar drastically changed rules because of safety after Dale E died? They probably should have changed that rule BEFORE he died. Just saying.

He died because of his seatbelt had issues. I think we are in the overreact mode. Just saying.

He died because of his seatbelt had issues. I think we are in the overreact mode. Just saying.

I think you are terribly wrong on how he died. They changed the head and neck restraints b/c of how he died. There are some people that do say it was a faulty belt, but the expert that looked at the evidence shot that down.

I think we don't react in life until something happened that was preventable. I hope the NFL tries staying ahead of this rather than reacting after its too late. They aren't even chaging the rules that much they are just suspending people that break the rule.

I think you are terribly wrong on how he died. They changed the head and neck restraints b/c of how he died. There are some people that do say it was a faulty belt, but the expert that looked at the evidence shot that down.

I think we don't react in life until something happened that was preventable. I hope the NFL tries staying ahead of this rather than reacting after its too late. They aren't even chaging the rules that much they are just suspending people that break the rule.

I think you should google that. Seat belt torn, look at the photos. Doesn't really matter. Nascar is a collision sport. Football at every level is a collision sport. NOT a contact sport. Media has something to make a hot topic for a few days, ask every Tom, Dick and Harry, and the league has a knee jerk reaction. That's how I see it. You can't convince me otherwise.

HANS device may not have saved Earnhardt, by the way. See the commentaries. And the device was around well before his passing.

I think you should google that. Seat belt torn, look at the photos. Doesn't really matter. Nascar is a collision sport. Football at every level is a collision sport. NOT a contact sport. Media has something to make a hot topic for a few days, ask every Tom, Dick and Harry, and the league has a knee jerk reaction. That's how I see it. You can't convince me otherwise.

HANS device may not have saved Earnhardt, by the way. See the commentaries. And the device was around well before his passing.

I looked at atricles before I sent that. There are different opinions, but the ones I read played down the seat belt theory. The seat belt maker was overly excited about being found not responsible. Either way your point about the HANS device is my exact point. Now it is mandatory. It might have helped if it was necessary before two people died.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nationworld/sns-earnhardt-osreview,0,5637877.story

As far as football I agree w/ HT. Just use leather helmets. Why change anything? The reason they are making changes is b/c there is now scientific evidence that they didn't have before about brain injuries. The NFL gets a huge plus in my mind by taking that info and trying to protect their players.

^Or we can put the enjoyment of a bunch of lazy people who sit around and watch football on Sundays over the safety and well-being of human beings....Yeah, that sounds logical.

I have no problem with them taking the necessary steps to make the sport safer for the athletes.

^ My guess is it wouldn't be so funny if you were going on your 5th concussion. Your wife and kids wouldn't think so either.

Hard hits are just part of football. It's not a multi-million dollar flag football league - it's professional football. What is a defensive player supposed to do? You earn your living on stopping offensive players. If you lay back and get burnt, you lose your job. If you hit them and accidentally hurt them, you get benched. What is a defensive player supposed to do?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5706465

Good, James Harrison. Please do retire. Make good on your threats and go drive a truck like your father did. And if you have as many head-ons in that job as you do in this one, heaven help you.

Harrison, the Pittsburgh Steelers hired headhunter, is talking about quitting after being fined $75,000 for using his helmet to knock not just one Cleveland Brown out of the game, but two, then issued words that were even uglier than his deeds:

"I don't want to see anyone injured," Harrison said, "but I'm not opposed to hurting anyone."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin defended Harrison, saying he's a "model" for young players to imitate. Oh, yeah, he's a peach. Fined $5,000 for slamming Vince Young into the ground. Fined $5,000 for unnecessary brutality against a Cincinnati Bengal. Had to go to anger management and undergo psychiatric counseling after being charged with assault on his girlfriend. Owned a pit bull that bit his son, the boy's mom and his masseuse. When's he running for Congress?

Hard hits are just part of football. It's not a multi-million dollar flag football league - it's professional football. What is a defensive player supposed to do? You earn your living on stopping offensive players. If you lay back and get burnt, you lose your job. If you hit them and accidentally hurt them, you get benched. What is a defensive player supposed to do?

You change the rule and the players will adapt. If you suspend guys for launching and leading with their heads making illegal hits they'll quit doing it or sit out. You used to be allowed to horse collar a guy but now you can't. Amazingly it doesn't happen as often as it used to. If it was still a big problem and they fined and suspended players for doing that it would happen less. My guess is illegal head shots start happening less after this week.

You change the rule and the players will adapt. If you suspend guys for launching and leading with their heads making illegal hits they'll quit doing it or sit out. You used to be allowed to horse collar a guy but now you can't. Amazingly it doesn't happen as often as it used to. If it was still a big problem and they fined and suspended players for doing that it would happen less. My guess is illegal head shots start happening less after this week.

Newsflash, they aren't changing the rule. The rule is the same. My beef is that some of those hits this weekend weren't head to head. I think that the overwhelming majority of past and present players who have voiced their opinions agree with the sentiment that some were fined and should have been deemed legal.

Is Harrison acting like a big baby? Absolutely! His actions have nothing to do with my opinion on the plays.