NFL's Devistating hits?? Whats your take?

Newsflash, they aren't changing the rule. The rule is the same. My beef is that some of those hits this weekend weren't head to head. I think that the overwhelming majority of past and present players who have voiced their opinions agree with the sentiment that some were fined and should have been deemed legal.

Is Harrison acting like a big baby? Absolutely! His actions have nothing to do with my opinion on the plays.

You get the point. You change the penalty for breaking the rule and players will adapt. They adapt all the time to chages. If Rodney Harrsion (ex player) didn't say the only way to get through to these guys is suspension we wouldn't have the new enforcement of the penalty for breaking the rule and the fines would have been smaller like they were for the Browns player that took a cheap shot at Shipley. They need to quit taking cheap shots. It's not good for the game.

Harrison isn't exactly good at PR I guess. Wow is he out of touch.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best commentary I heard on this discussion was from Bomani Jones on 1st and 10 yesterday. His contention was that these devastating hits have come about because the NFL has taken away so much power from the defensive backfield, and trying to knock someone's head off has become the only means to get an edge or fully defend a receiver. The 5 yard bump rule and easily thrown pass interference flags force players to play off the receiver to set them up for these blows. Maybe they should revert back to giving more leverage to DBs in defending the pass.

I tell you what's gonna happen. The players that are responsible for dislodging the ball from the receiver are going to start going low. It's going to happen, matter of time. You're gonna see knees bend in the wrong directions, you'll see 190lb receivers flipped like a cheese omelet and then there will be a different outcry. Dirty defensive players ending receivers careers with low shots. Write it down.

I tell you what's gonna happen. The players that are responsible for dislodging the ball from the receiver are going to start going low. It's going to happen, matter of time. You're gonna see knees bend in the wrong directions, you'll see 190lb receivers flipped like a cheese omelet and then there will be a different outcry. Dirty defensive players ending receivers careers with low shots. Write it down.

Which is a heck of a lot better than causing permanent long term brain damage or worse. I'll take the players having knee injuries over head injuries every time.

Which is a heck of a lot better than causing permanent long term brain damage or worse. I'll take the players having knee injuries over head injuries every time.
That's fine, now, go do some research and see how many of the concussions are caused from the helmet hitting the ground. And when these receivers land like a lawn dart on their heads, we'll have another outcry on talk radio and another kneejerk reaction from the league.

The best commentary I heard on this discussion was from Bomani Jones on 1st and 10 yesterday. His contention was that these devastating hits have come about because the NFL has taken away so much power from the defensive backfield, and trying to knock someone's head off has become the only means to get an edge or fully defend a receiver. The 5 yard bump rule and easily thrown pass interference flags force players to play off the receiver to set them up for these blows. Maybe they should revert back to giving more leverage to DBs in defending the pass.

That's the first rule I would change if they are serious about safety. I'd also look into changing the rules about hitting guys in the end zone. Sure it would change the game some, but if the NFL is serious about safety it needs to be done.

I agree with you. It's a big time issue. I think they just need to find a way to at least eliminate launching. There was really only one "dirty" hit last week. Harrison's weren't as bad, but he has a dirty past. I'm just glad the NFL is trying to stay out in front of the issue. There is no prefect solution

Harrison has dried it up and is back at practice today. I'll guess he'll be a nightmare to block this Sunday. He'll vent on the Dolphins LT. He's that type.

You knew he would be but I don't really get what he was trying to prove with the me against the NFL. If he wanted to make a point get players together and strike.

You knew he would be but I don't really get what he was trying to prove with the me against the NFL. If he wanted to make a point get players together and strike.

Frankly, he isn't smart enough to have a filter. Just open the mouth and let what's in there come right on out. Doubt he was ever serious about retiring. Just frustrated and venting.