KHSAA Football Alignment for 2011-2014 announced

The Scribe

I'll only defend it one way: Simon Kenton is in the 8th region in all other sports. There are four northern Kentucky schools already comprising a 6A district. Simon Kenton, the unfortunate odd man out, has to go somewhere. So they go with fellow 8th region team Oldham County to a district with two Louisville schools.

I'll give you that, but to be honest I've never liked the fact that SK moved to the 8th region either.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you that, but to be honest I've never liked the fact that SK moved to the 8th region either.

I agree on that 100%. It never made sense. As I said earlier, Simon Kenton is just in a really tough spot. If Dixie were still 5A, then all would be well. It's apparent that Simon Kenton will be shifted out of northern Kentucky no matter what happens.

Ryan Ernst of the Kentucky Enquirer take on the whole St. X-T district:

Props for the KHSAA for sticking St. Xavier, Trinity and Male all in one district. When the board of control said it was going to base the alignment on geography, I think some of us were waiting for the other wingtip to drop. The bottom line is this: a St. Xavier-Trinity championship game is good for the KHSAA. It draws. It makes dollars. It makes sense. But at the end of the day, is a state final between two schools from the same city, I don’t know, fair? Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But geographically speaking, this was the right thing to do.

I tend to agree.

My take? Shut up, quit crying, and play football.

But this realignment doesn't eliminate that possibility.

This is how I would do Class 6A:

District 1 - Daviess County, Henderson County, Marshall County, Muhlenberg County

District 2 - Central Hardin, Meade County, Nelson County, Southern

Nelson County will drop out soon when their new school opens and McCracken County will move in. Easy fix: slide McCracken into District 1, move Daviess to District 2 and all is well.

Much of the thought down here is that Muhlenberg would be the team to move, and not Daviess.

I haven't seen them in a good while. What are the guidelines for enrollment numbers/class size?

Specific enrollment numbers are not the only criteria used to divide the classes. The bottom 32 teams in enrollment are 1A and it doesn't matter if the largest 1A school has 150 or 250 - it is the bottom 32 teams in enrollment. Under current numbers, the cutoff for 1A is 200 because that is where the 32nd from the bottom school in enrollment is. 6A is the same way except it is the 32 largest schools regardless of what the actual enrollment number is. Then you take the schools left in between and divide by 4. I think there are about 140 schools left so you divide by 4 and you get 35 or so schools per class. So starting at the 1A cutoff of 200, the next 35 schools in size are 2A, then the next 35 are 3A, etc.

Much of the thought down here is that Muhlenberg would be the team to move, and not Daviess.

Makes sense either way. I guess Muhlenberg is probably a better choice, with a better road getting from Central City up toward Elizabethtown, etc.

Southern struggles mightily. When they were in Trinity's distrcit, I actually felt bad feeling happy about winning. There were proably 25-40 players on the team (in a good year), and not even that many people in the home stands to cheer them on.

And, as I've stated before, I don't mind the super-district. I actually think it's a good thing. And if competitiveness is also a goal of 6 classes, then I feel the districts in areas (like Louisville) that can support it should not use geography alone to decide who goes where. Maybe this will help those 6A schools in Louisville that are struggling to begin to build their programs.

I guess that my question is why should that be a consideration? Back under the 4 class system, my 1A school played in the same district as Danville for years. We even had an 0-27 W-L run during that time. We took our Danville hits (even a 77-0 score one game).

I guess that it is just my personal taste, but I don't think that competitiveness should be a consideration in the district assignments. But hey...no one is asking my opinion. :D

Specific enrollment numbers are not the only criteria used to divide the classes. The bottom 32 teams in enrollment are 1A and it doesn't matter if the largest 1A school has 150 or 250 - it is the bottom 32 teams in enrollment. Under current numbers, the cutoff for 1A is 200 because that is where the 32nd from the bottom school in enrollment is. 6A is the same way except it is the 32 largest schools regardless of what the actual enrollment number is. Then you take the schools left in between and divide by 4. I think there are about 140 schools left so you divide by 4 and you get 35 or so schools per class. So starting at the 1A cutoff of 200, the next 35 schools in size are 2A, then the next 35 are 3A, etc.

Hmm...learned something new. Thanks.

I guess that my question is why should that be a consideration? Back under the 4 class system, my 1A school played in the same district as Danville for years. We even had an 0-27 W-L run during that time. We took our Danville hits (even a 77-0 score one game).

I guess that it is just my personal taste, but I don't think that competitiveness should be a consideration in the district assignments. But hey...no one is asking my opinion. :D

If we only still had 4 classes, I'd be right there with you.

But in Louisville 6A, the districts only have 4 teams. IMO, if it's going to be cut up that much, then do something like make the districts competitive within each other. We have the luxury of a choice (not really, but you know what I mean). Kentucky is so rural that Louisville likely is the only spot that this could work. But, since we have so many and it's cut up so much, let's not have put the haves with the have nots.

My personal taste. :D I like competitive games, even at the expense of a few W's on my team's record. There's absolutely nothing fun in beating a team 77-0, IMO.

But in Louisville 6A, the districts only have 4 teams. IMO, if it's going to be cut up that much, then do something like make the districts competitive within each other. We have the luxury of a choice (not really, but you know what I mean). Kentucky is so rural that Louisville likely is the only spot that this could work. But, since we have so many and it's cut up so much, let's not have put the haves with the have nots.

My personal taste. :D I like competitive games, even at the expense of a few W's on my team's record. There's absolutely nothing fun in beating a team 77-0, IMO.

Caveat....unless we're beating X 48-0 :D:p Just kidding, X-men!

I like competitive games, also. However, at some point the "haves" have to play the "have nots." I'd rather it be during the regular season and not during playoffs, particularly the deeper you go.

Where does KHSAA document the 32 limit approach? Or any methodology for this excercise? Is there a documented policy or guideline for how football alignments are to be done? Without such, the dividing up of Classes and Districts appears arbitrary.

Where does KHSAA document the 32 limit approach? Or any methodology for this excercise? Is there a documented policy or guideline for how football alignments are to be done? Without such, the dividing up of Classes and Districts appears arbitrary.

The BOC voted to cap 1A and 6A at 32 teams this year, effective with this new alignment. I've never seen an explanation as to why.