KHSAA Football Alignment for 2011-2014 announced

The Scribe

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BOC voted to cap 1A and 6A at 32 teams this year, effective with this new alignment. I've never seen an explanation as to why.

I've always assumed the reasoning was due to the open-ended nature of the largest and smallest class. For instance a school in Class 6A could potentially have 5,000 students (far-fetched, but you understand). By comparison, a school in Class 1A could potentially have 20 students (or smaller). By limiting the number of schools in the largest class you are requiring fewer schools to compete in postseason play with the absolute largest school. By limiting the number of schools in the smallest class you are setting a pretty small enrollment number as the absolute largest a tiny school would have to compete against in the postseason.

Just my view of the 32-team limits in 1A and 6A.

I like competitive games, also. However, at some point the "haves" have to play the "have nots." I'd rather it be during the regular season and not during playoffs, particularly the deeper you go.

Here's a stat:

Trinity hasn't lost in district play since September 19, 2003. That was when we lost to Seneca 34-33. That's 7 years we've won every game in our district. Maybe I'm completely wrong. I mean, I KNOW we're good, but I don't think it should be that easy. Just, again, my opinion.

RockMom= Pot Stirrer Jr. :idunno:

:lol: You know me, AL...I speak my mind, even when no one else agrees with me. :D

I've always assumed the reasoning was due to the open-ended nature of the largest and smallest class. For instance a school in Class 6A could potentially have 5,000 students (far-fetched, but you understand). By comparison, a school in Class 1A could potentially have 20 students (or smaller). By limiting the number of schools in the largest class you are requiring fewer schools to compete in postseason play with the absolute largest school. By limiting the number of schools in the smallest class you are setting a pretty small enrollment number as the absolute largest a tiny school would have to compete against in the postseason.

The rule of unintended consequences seems to have kicked in.

By limiting to 32 your also limit the districts to 4 teams each. So no you have some real unusual district alignments. Dunbar with Mead Co.? Poor Simon-Kenton seems to be the odd school out of the NKY block and seems destined to be with the Jefferson centered schools or the Fayette centered schools but not where they belong - in a district with NKY schools.

Then you have to ask why the radical rearrangement of of Districts 3 - 5. Oldham County replaced Shelby County, otherwise the teams are the same. Why the need to change? Did the driving distances between schools in those districts change between 2007 and 2010? So what objective reason was used to execute the mass reshuffle?

Since all teams make the playoffs in the new 6A structure it probably is not deep issue to them. But the reasoning by KHSAA to do what they did deserves an explanation.

Uh, OK, let's say that. I have a slightly different theory, which essentially says that if they could justify capping 6A at two teams, they'd do that. :D

But your reasoning is, well, reasonable, and probably pretty close to the mark. And unless I missed something, it's more of an explanation than we heard when the move was made.

The baseball state championship is usually played in the loaded Lexington district every year. Very few say those teams should be spread out to ensure the best teams meet in the finals. Heck, it cost the Lexington Catholic coach his job.

Is that really why he was fired???