KHSAA Football Alignment for 2011-2014 announced

The Scribe

For the last 14 years or so the three best teams nearly every year (T, X, Male) are now together which means the 6-A final is going to be ugly every year. At least the way it has been, we had a shot at a good 6-A game every now and then (X-T, Male-T games) but not anymore. Remember the times it has been Trinity or X and a state school. Boring.

Will there every be a 6-A final with a spread of under 28? I highly doubt it.

Though a lot of it rose to silly hyperbole, I have read a lot on here this season about the resurgence of our program at Ballard and cheers that there will be a public school out there now to finally challenge the private schools.

Now I read on here nothing but how the 6A finals from here on out can NEVER be a competitive game again and it seems assumed the finals will from now on only be a "T or X vs. Out-in-the-State-also-ran."

This isn't true.

The region we're in will be opposite the "T/X Megadistrict" Region 3 of the next 4 years.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Ernst of the Kentucky Enquirer take on the whole St. X-T district:

Props for the KHSAA for sticking St. Xavier, Trinity and Male all in one district. When the board of control said it was going to base the alignment on geography, I think some of us were waiting for the other wingtip to drop. The bottom line is this: a St. Xavier-Trinity championship game is good for the KHSAA. It draws. It makes dollars. It makes sense. But at the end of the day, is a state final between two schools from the same city, I don’t know, fair? Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But geographically speaking, this was the right thing to do.

I tend to agree.

My take? Shut up, quit crying, and play football.

What if they did 6A like this:

District 1 - Daviess County, Henderson County, Marshall County, Muhlenberg County

District 2 - Central Hardin, Meade County, Nelson County, Butler

District 3 – Pleasure Ridge Park, Seneca, Southern, St Xavier

District 4 - DuPont Manual, Male, Fern Creek, Trinity (Louisville)

District 5 - Ballard, Eastern, Scott County, Oldham County

District 6 - Boone County, Campbell County, Dixie Heights, Ryle

District 7 - Bryan Station, Henry Clay, Simon Kenton, Clark County

District 8 - Dunbar, Lafayette, Madison Central, Tates Creek

The only problem I see with this for the most part is Simon Kenton. I really don't know what to do with them. But they should bet Dunbar back in the Fayette Co/Greater Lexington area.

District 1 - Daviess County, Henderson County, Marshall County, Muhlenberg County

The only problem I see with this for the most part is Simon Kenton. I really don't know what to do with them. But they should bet Dunbar back in the Fayette Co/Greater Lexington area.

Maybe switch with Scott Co in District 5?

God Love District 3. :lol: Southern does NOT belong in a district with St. X, and that has nothing to do with geography.

Maybe switch with Scott Co in District 5?

Simon Kenton would have to travel a little farther and Scott Co. would have to travel a lot less. An ideal solution without looking at 5A would be to have North Oldham go to 6A and Simon Kenton to 5A. I don't know. I will say that with 6 classes these alighnments are almost impossible! I think having 5 classes would simplify a lot of things.

Ryan Ernst of the Kentucky Enquirer take on the whole St. X-T district:

Props for the KHSAA for sticking St. Xavier, Trinity and Male all in one district. When the board of control said it was going to base the alignment on geography, I think some of us were waiting for the other wingtip to drop. The bottom line is this: a St. Xavier-Trinity championship game is good for the KHSAA. It draws. It makes dollars. It makes sense. But at the end of the day, is a state final between two schools from the same city, I don’t know, fair? Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But geographically speaking, this was the right thing to do.

I tend to agree.

My take? Shut up, quit crying, and play football.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This is how I would do Class 6A:

District 2 - Central Hardin, Meade County, Nelson County, Southern

District 3 - Butler, DuPont Manual, Pleasure Ridge Park, St. Xavier

District 4 - Eastern, Fern Creek, Male, Seneca

District 5 - Ballard, Oldham County, Simon Kenton, Trinity

District 7 - Bryan Station, Lafayette, Paul Dunbar, Scott County

District 8 - George Rogers Clark, Henry Clay, Madison Central, Tates Creek

A couple notes:

-Nelson County will drop out soon when their new school opens and McCracken County will move in. Easy fix: slide McCracken into District 1, move Daviess to District 2 and all is well.

-Southern is in District 2 for two reasons. One is geography, although it isn't a great match. The main reason is second, which is competitiveness. Southern is annually the worst of these 6A teams in Jefferson County and would perhaps benefit from being in a district that has schools a bit behind Jefferson County in annual talent. And again, it would be defensible by geography.

-The Lexington area districts remain the exact same as they are in 2010

-District 3 remains the exact same as it is in 2010

-District 6 is northern Kentucky, just as drawn up by KHSAA, with Simon Kenton being shoved toward Louisville

-Districts 4 & 5 are based to the best of my ability on geography of Jefferson County

Why not? What does it have to do with?

Southern struggles mightily. When they were in Trinity's distrcit, I actually felt bad feeling happy about winning. There were proably 25-40 players on the team (in a good year), and not even that many people in the home stands to cheer them on.

And, as I've stated before, I don't mind the super-district. I actually think it's a good thing. And if competitiveness is also a goal of 6 classes, then I feel the districts in areas (like Louisville) that can support it should not use geography alone to decide who goes where. Maybe this will help those 6A schools in Louisville that are struggling to begin to build their programs.

Simon Kenton would have to travel a little farther and Scott Co. would have to travel a lot less. An ideal solution without looking at 5A would be to have North Oldham go to 6A and Simon Kenton to 5A. I don't know. I will say that with 6 classes these alighnments are almost impossible! I think having 5 classes would simplify a lot of things.

I'm sure SK wouldn't mind that too much but don't see it happening bc of their size, maybe if they were border line but their enrollment puts them at 20th of the 32 6A schools.

This is how I would do Class 6A:

District 2 - Central Hardin, Meade County, Nelson County, Southern

District 3 - Butler, DuPont Manual, Pleasure Ridge Park, St. Xavier

District 4 - Eastern, Fern Creek, Male, Seneca

District 5 - Ballard, Oldham County, Simon Kenton, Trinity

District 7 - Bryan Station, Lafayette, Paul Dunbar, Scott County

District 8 - George Rogers Clark, Henry Clay, Madison Central, Tates Creek

A couple notes:

-Nelson County will drop out soon when their new school opens and McCracken County will move in. Easy fix: slide McCracken into District 1, move Daviess to District 2 and all is well.

-Southern is in District 2 for two reasons. One is geography, although it isn't a great match. The main reason is second, which is competitiveness. Southern is annually the worst of these 6A teams in Jefferson County and would perhaps benefit from being in a district that has schools a bit behind Jefferson County in annual talent. And again, it would be defensible by geography.

-The Lexington area districts remain the exact same as they are in 2010

-District 3 remains the exact same as it is in 2010

-District 6 is northern Kentucky, just as drawn up by KHSAA, with Simon Kenton being shoved toward Louisville

-Districts 4 & 5 are based to the best of my ability on geography of Jefferson County

So SK takes I75 South to I71 South and in the process drives right between Ryle and Boone county who are both about 5 minutes from 75 south in Florence and then heads even further away to play in Louisville? Was this a geographic draft, because it doesn't seem like it.

So SK takes I75 South to I71 South and in the process drives right between Ryle and Boone county who are both about 5 minutes from 75 south in Florence and then heads even further away to play in Louisville? Was this a geographic draft, because it doesn't seem like it.

I'll only defend it one way: Simon Kenton is in the 8th region in all other sports. There are four northern Kentucky schools already comprising a 6A district. Simon Kenton, the unfortunate odd man out, has to go somewhere. So they go with fellow 8th region team Oldham County to a district with two Louisville schools.