Track the Reds (2nd Half, Week 12)

LRCW

Congrats Reds fans. I've refrained from watching them since they went on that really bad spell when I did watch them after not getting to see them on a winning streak. I do have to warn you though, I watch pretty much all the playoffs. I hope I was just being superstitious and not really a jinx.

Welcome aboard. This season worked out really well for the last Red Sox fan to become a Reds fan. :lol:

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitting in a hotel room in North Chicago, watching the Cubs essentially finish off the Padres dream season. I actually feel sorry for San Diego fans, a dream season and they won't even make the playoffs as a wild card.

Me and my father were talking about the Phillies 3 man rotation they would likely go with against the Reds. I would love to see the Reds pull off a stunner, but it's a lot to ask facing that pitching staff.

I know Colin Cowherd isn't the most beloved guy in Reds nation, but the stat he threw out the other day was amazing, Phillies have won six games this year 1-0.

You figure their weak link is that bullpen, if the Reds can just get to it, you never know what could happen.

Still going to complain about giving the offense an off day?

SF is sure doing their part to help the Reds catch them...on wait, nevermind.

That's great. They were off Monday too. Why didn't they score 9 runs Tuesday? Also, I don't at all mind resting guys. I just didn't think the Louisville Bats should have played. They probably stayed out and partied more than the regular players. You still haven't answered if Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday of next week count as rest. If so they had plenty of time to get rest and not rest their 10 best players if you include Hanigan and Cairo in the same game. Wouldn't it be nice if the Reds only needed to make up 2 games instead of 3? The Reds still may have lost and even if they won they still might have finished third, but they had no chance.

FWIW the Yankees and the Rays clinched the same day as the Reds and sent most of their regulars back out the next day b/c they're trying for home field. They did both lose though.

Sitting the regulars was absolutely the right decision. You can debate if it was the right decision to sit them all at once but here's how I look at it. Do you want a B lineup for one day or an A/B lineup for two days? You have much more of a chance to lose two games with an A/B squad than with a B then an A squad.

Also, you can't compare the American League for a few reasons. 1) They have the DH and for guys like Jeter, ARod, Longoria...etc; that is like a day off. They can do that 8 times throughout a season and be rested. 2) They're tied and trying to win their division. Another horrible comparison to a team that has essentially always been two back and clinched a week early.

3) Who's complaining if Rolen pulls a hammy after 7 straight days of baseball? Cabrera tweeks his oblique again? ESPECIALLY knowing they are not well rested and their bodies are not 100%.

Sitting the regulars was absolutely the right decision. You can debate if it was the right decision to sit them all at once but here's how I look at it. Do you want a B lineup for one day or an A/B lineup for two days? You have much more of a chance to lose two games with an A/B squad than with a B then an A squad.

Also, you can't compare the American League for a few reasons. 1) They have the DH and for guys like Jeter, ARod, Longoria...etc; that is like a day off. They can do that 8 times throughout a season and be rested. 2) They're tied and trying to win their division. Another horrible comparison to a team that has essentially always been two back and clinched a week early.

3) Who's complaining if Rolen pulls a hammy after 7 straight days of baseball? Cabrera tweeks his oblique again? ESPECIALLY knowing they are not well rested and their bodies are not 100%.

They didn't play their entire A lineup and won yesterday. They were off Monday. They're off next Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Why are the Yankees and Rays trying to win their division if home field doesn't matter? I never said they didn't need rest. I just don't think their top 10 players needed the same day off especially when they were off already Monday.

I just noticed that Halladay and Oswalt were not in this weekend's probables. That means Halladay will have 8 days off and Oswalt 9. Think they will pitch at all against the Braves? That would be quite a bit of time off between starts.

It would be great if those two aren't as sharp as possible. The Reds have to feel like they can hit Oswalt after the way they handled him this year. He has been great since the trade, but the Reds hitters should be confident. The key to the playoffs IMO is Bruce and Stubbs. If one or both of them can get hot the Reds will be a really tough out even against the Phillies 3 best pitchers.

They didn't play their entire A lineup and won yesterday. They were off Monday. They're off next Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Why are the Yankees and Rays trying to win their division if home field doesn't matter? I never said they didn't need rest. I just don't think their top 10 players needed the same day off especially when they were off already Monday.

Exactly my point. Obviously Cabrera and Rolen needed an additional day. Off days next week don't matter if a guy gets hurt this week. I can't stand that argument. Playoffs will take a much larger toll on these guys than most regular season games.

The Yanks/Rays are trying to win the division because of the positive momentum, it's been a game or less for weeks now, AND home field advantage. You're acting like the Reds had a 2 game lead on San Fran and decided to pack it in. It's MUCH more important to go into the playoffs healthy and playing well than JUST playing to get home field.

I, like LRCW, want nothing to do with the Giants and the west coast. I still have nightmares about the games in San Fran last month.

Shoot let the Braves play the Reds and I guarantee it's an early exit for Cincy! Even with all the injuries the Braves have suffered they are near unbeatable at home and if they take 2 of 3 from Philly this weekend then I'd be worried about playing them.

The Reds have been beaten head to head by the Phillies, Braves, Giants and Padres. If the point to be made is Cincy is likely to have trouble with (fill in the blank potential playoff opponent), I would have to agree. However, I believe the most difficult match up in the 1st round will be against Philly. In light of that, I continue to pull for the stars to align so we avoid Halliday, Hamels and Oswalt in the 1st round.

That's great. They were off Monday too. Why didn't they score 9 runs Tuesday? Also, I don't at all mind resting guys. I just didn't think the Louisville Bats should have played. They probably stayed out and partied more than the regular players. You still haven't answered if Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday of next week count as rest. If so they had plenty of time to get rest and not rest their 10 best players if you include Hanigan and Cairo in the same game. Wouldn't it be nice if the Reds only needed to make up 2 games instead of 3? The Reds still may have lost and even if they won they still might have finished third, but they had no chance.

FWIW the Yankees and the Rays clinched the same day as the Reds and sent most of their regulars back out the next day b/c they're trying for home field. They did both lose though.

FWIW, the Yankees and Rays actually had a good shot at home field. The Reds didn't. That's what you don't understand. It was very unlikely they were going to make up 2 games over the remaining 5 with who SF is playing.

They'll be traveling Monday or Tuesday, so IMO whichever day they travel is not rest. I don't know if they'll fly home after the game friday night or wait until Saturday so IMO Saturday isn't rest either. It's a lot different traveling on your off day than getting a day off at home.

FWIW, the Yankees and Rays actually had a good shot at home field. The Reds didn't. That's what you don't understand. It was very unlikely they were going to make up 2 games over the remaining 5 with who SF is playing.

They'll be traveling Monday or Tuesday, so IMO whichever day they travel is not rest. I don't know if they'll fly home after the game friday night or wait until Saturday so IMO Saturday isn't rest either. It's a lot different traveling on your off day than getting a day off at home.

Why did they all need the same day off? That is what you won't answer. Also, they all played so they didn't get a day off. They all played. There was more than enough time to give every guy a day or two (or more) off and still take a chance at SF losing 2 or 3 games the rest of the year. You and a few others are acting like SF is an unbeatable ball club. I also heard the Reds weren't good enough to go 4-1 or 5-0 against the Astros and Brewers which to me is a joke.

Why did they all need the same day off? That is what you won't answer. Also, they all played so they didn't get a day off. They all played. There was more than enough time to give every guy a day or two (or more) off and still take a chance at SF losing 2 or 3 games the rest of the year. You and a few others are acting like SF is an unbeatable ball club. I also heard the Reds weren't good enough to go 4-1 or 5-0 against the Astros and Brewers which to me is a joke.

You just won't let it go will you. The chances of the Reds catching the Giants regardless of who played and who didn't was unbelievably small. You, for who knows what reason, seem to think it was a forgone conclusion that they would take over second if they just would've started the regulars...:rolleyes:

As you can see by how the Giants have played, it isn't going to matter....The Giants only went 17-8 with an ERA of 1.92 in the month of September....Yeah, they were all of a sudden just going to start sucking against the Dbacks...:rolleyes:

It makes a lot more sense, IMO to give everybody the same day off. Pinch hitting isn't exactly as difficult as playing 9 innings, so yes, they got the day off.

Would you rather lose one game with your "B" team or take a chance losing 2-3 games giving 4-5 guys rest over the course of 2-3 days?

A lineup with half the Reds starters is not that much better than the lineup they ran out there the other night. Plain and Simple. Better? Sure. "Way" better as you put it yesterday? Not a chance.