Is Boise St. the real deal?

katbird

The question is not whether they are for real but are they more deserving of the National Championship game than a one loss Alabama, Florida, Texas, Ohio State, Miami or any other team that finishes with one loss in a power conference. There will probably be at least one team that goes undefeated in a power conference which could leave one spot to be filled. It will be interesting how the coaches vote on this come November because that poll will determine who plays in the game.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the hype is created because Boise won the big game on their schedule and everyone expects them to win the rest of their games therefore they are in the National Championship talk already, while the two teams in front of them Alabama has to play Penn St, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, LSU and Auburn and Ohio State has to play Miami, Wisconsin, Penn St and Iowa. Its way to early to put either of them in the title game just yet because one bad game against any of the above their title hopes are probably gone.

I just don't get the crying about this. Boise has beaten just about everyone they've faced. When they had to play the big boys, they did and did so in impressive fashion. You can only play who is on your schedule or who you're put up against in your bowl game.

I think I agree with some of the sports reporters I've heard. I would have been leaping on their bandwagon had they won in a more convincing fashion. Of course the "wrap" on them is the conference they play in and could they survive an SEC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 10 schedule. I think Boise is a pretty good team but I also think they benefit at bowl time having a month to get ready for a big game. To do it regularly each week in a tougher conference is quite different.

I think they try and schedule as tough out of conference as they can. I mean they are playing at Ole Miss next year for free with no return game. They just have a massive problem getting BCS schools to schedule them.

Yeah, I think part of the reason they can't get as tough as schedule as they would like is because some of the bigger BCS schools don't want to play them. At least it seems.

I think Boise has trouble getting teams to agree to a return trip to the blue turf. If they're willing to play the big boys on their home field with nothing in return, then I think they can get more big games. Of course, I don't blame them for wanting a home game at some point. And, I also don't blame a BCS power for not wanting to do it. It's the nature of the beast.

If this report is true than it appears that Boise is trying to have the best of both worlds. They complain that no one is willing to play them, while at the same time treating Idaho just as other treat them.

They want to be be treated with respect when it come time to vote in the polls but when scheduling games they want to be paid off like the WAC conference member that they are.

Boise State wanted $1 million to play Nebraska?

Nebraska called. Nebraska tried.

In the past year, NU tried to put together a series with BSU; two-for-one, home-and-home, one-way trip to Lincoln. Whatever. It ended up fizzling out. Why?

Because, according to NU Assistant Athletic Director Jeff Jamrog, Boise wanted a minimum $1 million to play in Lincoln.

If this report is true than it appears that Boise is trying to have the best of both worlds. They complain that no one is willing to play them, while at the same time treating Idaho just as other treat them.

They want to be be treated with respect when it come time to vote in the polls but when scheduling games they want to be paid off like the WAC conference member that they are.

Idaho's FB stadium holds 18K. It's not realistic to expect Boise St. to play there any more than it would be to expect UK to play hoops at Morehead or Murray.

As far as asking for $1m from NU, it's not clear if that was for just a one-game shot at Lincoln. If they actually agreed to a home-and-home with BSU (which I highly doubt was on the table), then asking for $1m is a bit much.

I know this will never be resolved until a play-off system is installed, which will never happen by the NCAA because of money, they won't say it, but that's what it is, but if you but Boise State in the SEC, Big 10, Big 12 (whichever nowadays with teams switching conferences who knows) would they really be that good?:confused:

I'm not defending them. I think if they're serious about a national championship though, they should suck it up and play an away game with no return. You play the hand you're dealt, IMO, and there's no reason for a major BCS team to agree to play at Boise. They have nothing to gain from that. On the other hand, if Boise schedules and wins a couple of big road games at BCS schools, that lends a ton of strength to their argument. As it is, a season opening win on a neutral field against VaTech isn't enough to justify a title game appearance, IMO.

They may make it, but my vote would be cast for a one-loss BCS conference team over either Boise or TCU.

One final note...should both Boise and TCU make a BCS bowl again, I would prefer to see them play other schools and not each other.