Any rumors on region realignment for the future?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consolidation in the 15th and 16th should be done for sometime, aside from Phelps eventually being absorbed in the next 10 years and the rumored consolidation of Floyd County schools a few years down the road.

Currently in the 15th we have 2 3-team districts and 1 5-team, which makes no sense but the KHSAA seems unwilling to hurt feelings.

Mu alignment would look like this for the 15th -

REGION 15

District 57 – Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Paintsville,

District 58 – Allen Central, Betsy Layne, Piarist, Prestonsburg, South Floyd

District 59 – East Ridge, Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Letcher County Central from the 14th.)

District 60 – Belfry, Phelps, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark(from the 57th)

That puts the 14th-16th with 4 4-team districts.

It looks pretty good, but I don't see Letcher moving.

It's more likely Jenkins, JBS and/or Knott would move.

For those who are curious here is the way the regions layout with total teams and number of teams in each district within that region.

1 - 16 teams (1) 4 (2) 4 (3) 4 (4) 4

2 - 15 teams (5) 4 (6) 3 (7) 4 (8) 4

3 - 15 teams (9) 4 (10) 3 (11) 4 (12) 4

4 - 16 teams (13) 4 (14) 4 (15) 4 (16) 4

5 - 17 teams (17) 5 (18) 4 (19) 4 (20) 4

6 - 20 teams (21) 5 (22) 5 (23) 5 (24) 5

7 - 16 teams (25) 4 (26) 4 (27) 4 (28) 4

8 - 16 teams (29) 4 (30) 4 (31) 4 (32) 4

9 - 19 teams (33) 5 (34) 5 (35) 4 (36) 5

10 - 17 teams (37) 5 (38) 4 (39) 4 (40) 4

11 - 17 teams (41) 4 (42) 4 (43) 5 (44) 4

12 - 17 teams (45) 5 (46) 4 (47) 4 (48) 4

13 - 17 teams (49) 5 (50) 4 (51) 4 (52) 4

14 - 17 teams (53) 5 (54) 4 (55) 4 (56) 4

15 - 15 teams (57) 5 (58) 4 (59) 3 (60) 3

16 - 15 teams (61) 4 (62) 4 (63) 4 (64) 3

It looks pretty good, but I don't see Letcher moving.

It's more likely Jenkins, JBS and/or Knott would move.

Doubtful that Letcher moves, but I don't think Knott goes anywhere either. Of course, I thought the same about Scott County a few years back.

It wouldn't have to if the Campbell Co schools moved to the 10th. I would imagine there would be thought to move Walton to the 9th, possibly others

Do you mean the independent school districts? Newport, Bellevue, and Dayton? Or CCHS, which is already in the 10th?

As far as districts go, I think that Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, and Silver Grove should be aligned together in the same district. Move SG to the 9th and move NCC and Highlands to another district.

Why not move Scott to the 9th?

The expense added to the Campbell County schools may be too much to overcome- travel would be crazy, even playing a limited 10th region schedule. How much is fuel nowadays?

I'd think that WV and SK would lobby to avoid moving back to the 9th. They have a competitive advantage over most 8th region teams that they don't over 9th region teams.

I hear alot of complaints from Scott fans about the long trips.

Very well could, especially if you continue to add schools in the metro areas and decrease them in the rural areas. Seems like the mountain schools continue to consolidate while Louisville, Lex and NKY continue to add.

Louisville has not had a new school added for years.

Move Clinton County and Russell County to 12th to take care of East and West Jessamine. Takes care of being two down, and takes care of getting them out of 4th region which stretches all the way to Todd Central.

Pray tell who replaces them in the region?

I've heard this before about Clinton County and Russell County moving out, and it's even less realistic now than it was then. The deficiency will exist in the west. The 4th Region will almost certainly be losing one school in Todd County Central, and it remains to be seen if more drastic actions would be needed to help out other regions. I just can't see them shipping two schools east when there is not the need there.

Pray tell who replaces them in the region?

I think you might could move Russell, but probably not Clinton. It might look like this:

-Maybe McLean, Muhlenberg, and Todd to the 2nd.

-The five schools in Hardin County moving to the 3rd.

-Edmonson and Butler moving into the 4th.

A possible fourth region would be:

13: Butler, Logan, Russellville, Franklin-Simpson

14: Five Warren county schools

15: Allen, Barren, Glasgow, Edmonson

16: Metcalfe, Monroe, Cumberland, Clinton

There hasn't been much mountain consolidation lately besides Letcher and Harlan, but there is always potential. If those tiny 13th and 14th region schools (19 All "A" Classic teams combined) start to consolidate, the overall number of Kentucky high schools will decrease dramatically, causing a necessary shift in regions and alignment.

There isn't any schools left in the 14th region to consolidate. Powell, Wolfe, Lee, Owsley, Estill, and Leslie, all have just one school. Letcher and Perry have already consolidated their public schools, with the exception of Buckhorn in Perry County. They are like Cordia in Knott County, too far out in the county to be feasible to consolidate. I don't think Jenkins Independent is interested in consolidating with Letcher Central. No chance in Hades Hazard will ever consolidate with Perry. Probably same with Jackson City to Breathitt.

What you see in the 14th right now is what it will be in the future unless some of the small private schools, such as June Buchanan or Riverside Christian, decide to close down.

There isn't any schools left in the 14th region to consolidate. Powell, Wolfe, Lee, Owsley, Estill, and Leslie, all have just one school. Letcher and Perry have already consolidated their public schools, with the exception of Buckhorn in Perry County. They are like Cordia in Knott County, too far out in the county to be feasible to consolidate. I don't think Jenkins Independent is interested in consolidating with Letcher Central. No chance in Hades Hazard will ever consolidate with Perry. Probably same with Jackson City to Breathitt.

What you see in the 14th right now is what it will be in the future unless some of the small private schools, such as June Buchanan or Riverside Christian, decide to close down.

I didn't think there was much left to consolidate. JBS and Riverside could possibly close, like you mentioned, but I don't see it happening. The 14th will likely look similar for a long time to come.

Consolidation in the 15th and 16th should be done for sometime, aside from Phelps eventually being absorbed in the next 10 years and the rumored consolidation of Floyd County schools a few years down the road.

Currently in the 15th we have 2 3-team districts and 1 5-team, which makes no sense but the KHSAA seems unwilling to hurt feelings.

Mu alignment would look like this for the 15th -

REGION 15

District 57 – Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Paintsville,

District 58 – Allen Central, Betsy Layne, Piarist, Prestonsburg, South Floyd

District 59 – East Ridge, Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Letcher County Central from the 14th.)

District 60 – Belfry, Phelps, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark(from the 57th)

That puts the 14th-16th with 4 4-team districts.

Jenkins is closer to the 15th region schools than Letcher Central. It would make more sense to move them instead of Letcher Central. Actually when they did the last reallignment I thought they might move Jenkins at that time, but they didn't.