Any rumors on region realignment for the future?

There have been lots of rumors over the years about region realignment in basketball. The last one I heard was that there was talk of making all Campbell Co. schools part of the 10th and moving Scott (Kenton Co.) and Simon Kenton back into the 9th. Has anyone heard anything that might be worth discussing? I know there is still tremendous growth in Boone Co. and I heard that they already have plans for a new high school in Burlington and there is a push for a catholic high school in Boone Co. as well.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that there just about has to be. Regions 8, 9 and 10 are messed up, and everything from there is going to have to shift SW and SE to fill out regions in EKy and WKy that are shorthanded. I have some rough ideas that I'm working on. Some feelings will be hurt in my -- and any -- scenario.

Consolidation in McCracken County will make the first region have 14 teams. They'll have to put some teams from region 2 into 1. Then the shift will have to continue, because I think the KHSAA really wants at least 4 teams in each district.

The positive side of this is the opening of new schools in Bowling Green, Shelby County, and potentially Nelson and Laurel counties will add a few more teams to the list, which could make realigning a little easier.

Consolidation in McCracken County will make the first region have 14 teams. They'll have to put some teams from region 2 into 1. Then the shift will have to continue, because I think the KHSAA really wants at least 4 teams in each district.

The positive side of this is the opening of new schools in Bowling Green, Shelby County, and potentially Nelson and Laurel counties will add a few more teams to the list, which could make realigning a little easier.

Lately conventional wisdom has South Warren joining the other four BG schools in a five team district. That is definitely what is going to be happening next year. If that surplus school is to provide any relief in the future, it will be covering Todd County Central's exit into the Second Region, a move that may not be popular with South Warren.

There have been lots of rumors over the years about region realignment in basketball. The last one I heard was that there was talk of making all Campbell Co. schools part of the 10th and moving Scott (Kenton Co.) and Simon Kenton back into the 9th. Has anyone heard anything that might be worth discussing? I know there is still tremendous growth in Boone Co. and I heard that they already have plans for a new high school in Burlington and there is a push for a catholic high school in Boone Co. as well.

There has been talk in the 10th that Montgomery Co. would go to the 16th as well.

Very well could, especially if you continue to add schools in the metro areas and decrease them in the rural areas. Seems like the mountain schools continue to consolidate while Louisville, Lex and NKY continue to add.

There hasn't been much mountain consolidation lately besides Letcher and Harlan, but there is always potential. If those tiny 13th and 14th region schools (19 All "A" Classic teams combined) start to consolidate, the overall number of Kentucky high schools will decrease dramatically, causing a necessary shift in regions and alignment.

Lately conventional wisdom has South Warren joining the other four BG schools in a five team district. That is definitely what is going to be happening next year. If that surplus school is to provide any relief in the future, it will be covering Todd County Central's exit into the Second Region, a move that may not be popular with South Warren.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I know the 14th district will be five teams for a while, but you can almost bet Todd County is on their way back to the 2nd. In your opinion will South Warren just move to the 13th, or might two Warrens move to the 13th and three Warrens stay in the 14th? Just curious.

Consolidation in the 15th and 16th should be done for sometime, aside from Phelps eventually being absorbed in the next 10 years and the rumored consolidation of Floyd County schools a few years down the road.

Currently in the 15th we have 2 3-team districts and 1 5-team, which makes no sense but the KHSAA seems unwilling to hurt feelings.

Mu alignment would look like this for the 15th -

REGION 15

District 57 – Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Paintsville,

District 58 – Allen Central, Betsy Layne, Piarist, Prestonsburg, South Floyd

District 59 – East Ridge, Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Letcher County Central from the 14th.)

District 60 – Belfry, Phelps, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark(from the 57th)

That puts the 14th-16th with 4 4-team districts.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I know the 14th district will be five teams for a while, but you can almost bet Todd County is on their way back to the 2nd. In your opinion will South Warren just move to the 13th, or might two Warrens move to the 13th and three Warrens stay in the 14th? Just curious.

I'd be surprised if they moved more than one Warren County school to the 13th. The major reason is that would mean more than one school left the 13th, which I can't see happening. Todd County Central lifts right out, but next in the order is Logan County and Russellville, neither of which would move to another region without the other. Franklin-Simpson is not going to be made to drive through Logan County to another region. If more than one school leaves the 13th District, I believe the entirety of the district will have been moved.

I have heard something, I'm sure its a rumor, of the Jessamine County schools coming back to the 11th. It makes sense location wise but then that would leave the 12 region down 2 teams. I know this pops us every year but I have heard more about it this year than most.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule #13