Any rumors on region realignment for the future?

I think you might could move Russell, but probably not Clinton. It might look like this:

-Maybe McLean, Muhlenberg, and Todd to the 2nd.

-The five schools in Hardin County moving to the 3rd.

-Edmonson and Butler moving into the 4th.

A possible fourth region would be:

13: Butler, Logan, Russellville, Franklin-Simpson

14: Five Warren county schools

15: Allen, Barren, Glasgow, Edmonson

16: Metcalfe, Monroe, Cumberland, Clinton

Left to right, this is how I would do the first five regions (keep in mind this is after McCracken County):

-Livingston Central and Lyon County to the 1st Region: Fits like a glove, and let's be honest, what other choice to they have? Trigg County is the only other one that can move. The 1st Region needs two schools, it's going to come from those three counties.

-Todd County Central, Muhlenberg County, McLean County to the 2nd: I agree with you on this one, this likewise fits like a glove. The 2nd Region will be short three schools with the loss of two and already being short one. Along with Daviess County, these three are the border counties to the 2nd Region, and will thus be the schools.

-Hart County, Caverna, and Green County to the 3rd: This is where we start making some tougher choices. Hart County and Caverna are natural movements. They border the 3rd Region now, and if they were ever to move, they'd be a package deal. The addition of Green County would make the region length much longer, but I consider this more likely than the movement of the five Hardin County schools.

-Bullitt Central, Bullitt East, and North Bullitt to the 5th: The Bullitt County schools want out of the 6th Region badly, this would be a good move. I'd have them join Fort Knox in a district.

The plus for doing it this way is because as far as I can tell, this is where it would stop. The other regions would be able to take care of it internally, by redistricting from within if need be. To allow Russell County and/or Clinton County to leave the 4th, the tumblers start to fall on other regions.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the solution is a little more drastic ... scatter the 2nd Region to the winds by putting some with the 1st, some with the 3rd and the rest with the 4th.

The KHSAA needs to start shifting things westward to accommodate the growth in central and northern Kentucky. It would require some renumbering of regions, but I think it can work.

-Hart County, Caverna, and Green County to the 3rd: This is where we start making some tougher choices. Hart County and Caverna are natural movements. They border the 3rd Region now, and if they were ever to move, they'd be a package deal. The addition of Green County would make the region length much longer, but I consider this more likely than the movement of the five Hardin County schools.

The only problem with Green is the distance. I don't believe the KHSAA would put in a school that doesn't already touch the new region. That's why I believe Green would be unlikely. But I do agree with everything else you posted.

I think the solution is a little more drastic ... scatter the 2nd Region to the winds by putting some with the 1st, some with the 3rd and the rest with the 4th.

The KHSAA needs to start shifting things westward to accommodate the growth in central and northern Kentucky. It would require some renumbering of regions, but I think it can work.

Do you have an example on this? I think you're right; adhering to past regional ties might make it really tough to realign.

I think that all Kenton County schools should be put back in the same region. It is crazy the way it is now with three schools in three different regions.

Maybe, but the KHSAA doesn't work with just one county. When it comes to realignment, many times what happens around a county has a huge say in what happens within a county.

I posted this back last spring or early this fall, i can't remember. :) Here is my version of a complete redistricting plan for the entire state. Teams where shifted westward to accomodate Region 1 dilemna. Also, all Campbell County schools were moved to 10th region.

New Alignment

Region 1

District 1

Carlisle Co

Fulton City

Fulton Co

Hickman Co

District 2

McCracken Co H.S.

Paducah Tilghman

Paducah Community Christian

Ballard Memorial

District 3

Marshall Co

St. Mary

Livingston Central

Lyon Co

District 4

Graves Co

Mayfield

Calloway Co

Murray

Region 2

District 5

Crittenden Co

Henderson Co

Union Co

Webster Co

District 6

Caldwell Co

Trigg Co

Christian Co

Fort Campbell

District 7

Dawson Springs

Hopkins Co Central

Madisonville - North Hopkins

Hopkinsville

District 8

University Heights

Muhlenburg North

Muhlenburg South

Mclean Co

Todd Co Central

Region 3

District 9

Apollo

Daviess Co

Owensboro

Owensboro Cath.

District 10

Ohio Co

Whitesville Trinity

Edmondson Co

Grayson Co

District 11

Breckinridge Co

Fredrick Fraize

Hancock Co

Meade Co

District 12

Butler Co

Franklin-Simpson

Logan Co

Russellville

Region 4

District 13

Bowling Green

Greenwood

Warren Central

Warren East

District 14

Allen Co - Scottsville

Barren Co

Glasgow

Caverna

District 15

Monroe Co

Clinton Co

Cumberland Co

Metcalfe Co

District 16

Green Co

Hart Co

Adair Co

Russell Co

Region 5

District 17

Central Hardin

Elizabethtown

Fort Knox

John Hardin

North Hardin

District 18

Larue Co

Campbellsville

Marion Co

Taylor Co

District 19

Bardstown

Bethlehem

Nelson Co

Washington Co

District 20

Bullitt Central

Bullitt East

North Bullitt

Spencer Co

Region 6

District 21

Beth Haven

Holy Cross - Lou

PRP

Valley

Western

District 22

Butler

Desales (B)

Doss

Evangel Christian

District 23

Brown (B)

Presentation (G)

Central

Portland Christian

Shawnee

District 24

Fairdale

Southern

St. Francis

Iroquois

Region 7

District 25

Manual

Collegiate

Male

St. Xavier (B)

Mercy (G)

District 26

Assumption (G)

Atherton

Fern Creek

Moore

Whitefied Academy

District 27

Ballard

Trinity (B)

Sacred Heart (G)

Seneca

Waggener

Walden ???????

District 28

Lou. Christian Acad.

Eastern

Jeffersontown

Kentucky Country Day

Region 8

District 29

North Oldham

Oldham Co

South Oldham

Trimble Co

District 30

Anderson Co

Eminence

Shelby Co

Henry Co

District 31

Owen Co

Frankfort

Franklin Co

Western Hills

District 32

Grant Co

Williamstown

Carroll Co

Gallatin Co

Region 9

District 33

Heritage

Cooper

Ryle

Walton

Boone Co

District 34

Conner

St Henry

Dixie Heights

Lloyd

Ludlow

District 35

Beechwood

Cov Catholic (B)

Notre Dame (G)

Cov Latin ?????

Holmes

Villa Madonna

District 36

Calvary Christian

Scott

Simon Kenton

Holy Cross

Region 10

District 37

Bishop Brossart

Campbell Co

Dayton

Silver Grove

District 38

Highlands

Newport

Newport Central Catholic

Bellevue

District 39

Augusta

Bracken Co

Mason Co

Maysville St. Patrick

District 40

Deming

Harrison Co

Nicholas Co

Pendleton Co

Region 11

District 41

Woodford Co

Dunbar

Lafayette

Lexington Catholic

District 42

Scott Co

Bourbon Co

Paris

Bryan Station

District 43

Henry Clay

Tates Creek

Sayre

Lexington Christian

District 44

Berea

Madison Central

Madison Southern

Model

George Rogers Clark

Region 12

District 45

Boyle Co

Danville

Garrard Co

Kentucky School F/T Deaf

District 46

Burgin

East Jessamine

Mercer Co

West Jessamine

District 47

Lincoln Co

Casey Co

Pulaski Co

Somerset

District 48

McCreary Central

Monticello

Southwestern

Wayne Co

Region 13

District 49

Clay Co

Oneida Baptist

Red Bird

Knox Central

District 50

North Laurel

South Laurel

Rockcastle Co

Jackson Co

District 51

Corbin

Whitley Co

Williamsburg

Lynn Camp

District 52

Bell Co

Middelsboro

Pineville

Barbourville

Region 14

District 53

Cordia

June Buchanan

Knott Co Central

Hazard

Perry Co Central

District 54

Leslie Co

Harlan

Harlan Co

Buckhorn

District 55

Breathit Co

Jackson City

Riverside Christian

Wolfe Co

District 56

Estill Co

Lee Co

Owsley Co

Powell Co

Region 15

District 57

Johnson Central

Lawrence Co

Magoffin Co

Paintsville

Sheldon Clark

District 58

Allen Central

Betsy Layne

Prestonsburg

South Floyd

District 59

East Ridge

Pikeville

Belfry

Phelps

District 60

Jenkins

Letcher Co Central

Shelby Valley

Pike Co Central

Region 16

District 61

Bath Co

Fleming Co

Menifee Co

Rowan Co

Montgomery Co

District 62

East Carter

Elliott Co

Morgan Co

West Carter

District 63

Greenup Co

Lewis Co

Raceland

Russell

District 64

Ashland

Boyd Co

Fairview

Rose Hill

The only problem with Green is the distance. I don't believe the KHSAA would put in a school that doesn't already touch the new region. That's why I believe Green would be unlikely. But I do agree with everything else you posted.

It wouldn't be perfect, but I still consider that more likely than the movement of five schools from Hardin County. If you did that, then you really would almost have to move Butler County and Edmonson County to keep from overcrowding in the 3rd Region. In addition to the Bullitt County schools, you would also have to move in Spencer County in from the 8th Region.

Geographically, a lot of that would work out fine. Tradition in the 5th Region would bite the dust given what the loss of Hardin County does there. I know a Hardin County school has made the region finals of the 5th Region each year since Riherds has been keeping up with the scores, and have 8 region titles out of the last 12 in the 5th (though none of the last three). The dynamic in the 3rd Region would be thrown off pretty badly. Other than Grayson County, there's almost no way any other school in that region would compete with the Owensboro and Elizabethtown schools.

I wonder if perhaps Green County would move into the 4th Region and Clinton County out in this scenario? If they went that far to appease Russell County, maybe they really would go the step further for Clinton County.

It wouldn't be perfect, but I still consider that more likely than the movement of five schools from Hardin County. If you did that, then you really would almost have to move Butler County and Edmonson County to keep from overcrowding in the 3rd Region.

To be clear, I did want Edmonson & Butler moving to the 4th to allow room for the Hardins. But I understand what you are saying.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned but could possibly be a snag is time zones. If Hardin (EST) moved to the 3rd, they'd be with a bunch of school in CST. The KHSAA has attempted to avoid that in basketball as of late.

How large would these regions be in this scenario? Would we be shooting for 18-20 schools in the west regions?

So let's say the 1st Region took in the entire 5th District, and would look like:

First Region:

District 1 - Ballard Memorial, Carlisle County, Fulton City, Fulton County, Hickman County

District 2 - Community Christian, McCracken County, Paducah Tilghman, St. Mary

District 3 - Calloway County, Christian Fellowship, Graves County, Mayfield, Marshall County, Murray

District 4 - Crittenden County, Livingston Central, Lyon County, Trigg County

Some package deal schools left in the second region:

-District 8 schools, pretty well gotta take them all

-District 7 schools, again, pretty well gotta take them all because of Dawson Springs spanning the two counties. Wouldn't make sense to split them up.

My feeling is that in a "Let's blow it up" scenario that saw a shift the likes of moving entire districts out or otherwise scattering schools to the win, you'd still see the current 2nd Region look pretty similar because there's just not that many places you can send them, and ultimately they're still going to be in a region numbered 2nd. I could see a new 2nd region being:

District 5 - Henderson County, McLean County, Union County, Webster County

District 6 - Caldwell County, Dawson Springs, Hopkins County Central, Madisonville-North Hopkins

District 7 - Christian County, Fort Campbell, Hopkinsville, University Heights

District 8 - Franklin-Simpson, Logan County, Muhlenberg County, Russellville, Todd County Central

I just can't see that being hardly any other way, even in a blow it up scenario. There are schools in the 2nd Region that simply don't fit elsewhere. If you shoehorned in the bottom of the 2nd Region in with the 4th Region, you create a much more lengthy region. Ditto for the top of the 2nd Region with the 3rd Region.

Imagine if you had to take in the Owensboro schools to enlarge the 2nd Region even further. You'd have something like:

District 5 - Caldwell County, Dawson Springs, Hopkins County Central, Madisonville-North Hopkins, Union County, Webster County

District 6 - Apollo, Daviess County, Henderson County, Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic, Whitesville Trinity

District 7 - Christian County, Fort Campbell, Hopkinsville, University Heights

District 8 - McLean County, Muhlenberg County, Ohio County, Todd County Central

To be clear, I did want Edmonson & Butler moving to the 4th to allow room for the Hardins. But I understand what you are saying.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned but could possibly be a snag is time zones. If Hardin (EST) moved to the 3rd, they'd be with a bunch of school in CST. The KHSAA has attempted to avoid that in basketball as of late.

Yeah, I understood that's what you were saying. I was agreeing in a roundabout way that it would basically be a necessity.

As far as districts go, I think that Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, and Silver Grove should be aligned together in the same district. Move SG to the 9th and move NCC and Highlands to another district.

Why not move Scott to the 9th?

Wow.......that would be a Strong District ? :D

This is my rough draft:

1 ... Fulton County, Fulton City, Hickman County, Carlisle County, Ballard Memorial

2 ... McCracken County, Paducah Tilghman, Community Christian, St. Mary

3 ... Graves County, Mayfield, Calloway County, Murray

4 ... Marshall County, Livingston Central, Lyon County, Caldwell County

5 ... Crittenden County, Union County, Henderson County, Webster County

6 ... Madisonville, Hopkins Central, Dawson Springs, McLean County

7 ... Owensboro, Apollo, Daviess County, Owensboro Catholic

8 ... Hancock County, Whitesville Trinity, Ohio County, Muhlenberg County

9 ... Trigg County, Christian County, Hopkinsville, University Heights

10 ... Fort Campbell, Todd Central, Logan County, Russellville

11 ... Bowling Green, Warren Central, Warren East, Greenwood, South Warren

12 ... Franklin-Simpson, Allen County, Glasgow, Barren County

There have been lots of rumors over the years about region realignment in basketball. The last one I heard was that there was talk of making all Campbell Co. schools part of the 10th and moving Scott (Kenton Co.) and Simon Kenton back into the 9th. Has anyone heard anything that might be worth discussing? I know there is still tremendous growth in Boone Co. and I heard that they already have plans for a new high school in Burlington and there is a push for a catholic high school in Boone Co. as well.

If all the CC schools moved into the 10th, that would have to make 2 NKY districts and move 4-5 teams out of the 10th on the southern end.

This is my rough draft:

1 ... Fulton County, Fulton City, Hickman County, Carlisle County, Ballard Memorial

2 ... McCracken County, Paducah Tilghman, Community Christian, St. Mary

3 ... Graves County, Mayfield, Calloway County, Murray

4 ... Marshall County, Livingston Central, Lyon County, Caldwell County

5 ... Crittenden County, Union County, Henderson County, Webster County

6 ... Madisonville, Hopkins Central, Dawson Springs, McLean County

7 ... Owensboro, Apollo, Daviess County, Owensboro Catholic

8 ... Hancock County, Whitesville Trinity, Ohio County, Muhlenberg County

9 ... Trigg County, Christian County, Hopkinsville, University Heights

10 ... Fort Campbell, Todd Central, Logan County, Russellville

11 ... Bowling Green, Warren Central, Warren East, Greenwood, South Warren

12 ... Franklin-Simpson, Allen County, Glasgow, Barren County

My initial reactions:

-I can't see the merit in moving Caldwell before moving Trigg or Crittenden. Lyon County is the only county in the new 1st Region that they would share a border with, while Trigg and Crittenden would border at least two. I think either of them would go first, even moreso when you consider that Dawson Springs spans Hopkins and Caldwell counties. I think it would be a much better situation to move Crittenden, move McLean into your 5th District, and move Caldwell into the 6th with the rest of their natural opponents.

-The 3rd Region would share the same problem as the old 4th, that being the massive distance from end to end.

-Ultimately as you start going further east, I think you would see that you're going to end up in extremely similar problems to what you have now, only different faces on those problems, and you're going to upset longstanding traditions to boot for little gain. I just don't see the advantages.